Football: Town's bold showing goes unrewarded

BRIGHOUSE Town Reserves were out of luck as they went down 3-1 at Steeton in the Premier Division.

"We created 20 chances and they created about four," bemoaned assistant boss Darren Laycock, whose side also had a couple of strong penalty appeals turned down.

Town fell behind after 20 minutes when they were guilty of poor marking and were denied by a couple of excellent saves before hitting the post just before half time and failing to mop up the rebound.

Steeton doubled their lead with a freak goal two minutes after the break, a cross ending up in the top corner, but Danny Toronczac pulled one back after following in Glyn Haley's shot.

Town continued to create chances, with Chris Wdowcyzk, Kieran Corley and Jake Driver in good form, but Steeton had the last word when a defelected cross landed at the centre forward's feet.

Ovenden West Riding are clearly in good heart after their Halifax FA Cup win over previously-unbeaten Hebden Royd Red Star.

They followed up with probably their best league result of the season - a 6-0 thumping of sixth-placed Marsden at Natty Lane.

Ovenden scored three goals in each half , Shaun Gibbons and Gareth Jones getting two each and Steve Fullard and John Booth the others.

Ovenden West Riding Reserves were unable to make it a club double, losing 3-1 at home to lowly Long Lee in Division Two.

Martin Woodhouse scored for Ovenden with William Lee, John Robertson and Matthew Wilson on target for the visitors.

BRIGHOUSE OB Reserves lost 3-1 at Horbury Town Reserves in Division one of the West Yorkshire Alliance, missed chances and poor defence costing them.

Brighouse pressed down the infamous Horbury slope with captain Andy Taylor and Martin and James Coates taking hold of midfield.

Horbury struck first with a back post header and the visitors had two goals disallowed - a Dan Addy free-kick and a volley from Peter Kuleczko.

The hosts went up the field and scored their second but Brighouse dug deep in the second half with Adam Williams more influential.

New signing Jason Tiplady scored with a powerful shot into the bottom corner and then scooped a great chance over the bar.

Taylor went close and Jason Hibbert made one outstanding save before Horbury got their decisive third.

More reports from the weekend's amateur football in Tuesday's Courier