A walk in the Park for 10-goal King Cross

Actions from Halifax Rangers v Weavers. Pictured are Grant Metcalfe and James Dixon
Actions from Halifax Rangers v Weavers. Pictured are Grant Metcalfe and James Dixon

Last year’s beaten finalists King Cross Park cruised into the quarter finals of the Springfield Camping League Cup with a 10 goal demolition of North Bridge Reserves.

On an emotional day for Park, with goalkeeper and captain Tom Stacey playing his last game for the club before moving to Australia, the home side could have been forgiven for playing the occasion rather than the opponents.

In truth, Stacey had little to do, as Park, who have suffered mixed form of late, pressed from the off and despite some resilient early defending by North Bridge, took the lead when Martin Eland curled home.

Park continued to control the game and Eland was soon on hand to bag his brace and double the advantage. Man of the Match Sam Dunkley then took centre stage, crashing home an exquisite volley from the edge of the box. Dunkley added his second, before an own goal left Park five goals to the good at the break.

Park continued to assert their dominance and when Dunkley completed his hat-trick after great work from the excellent Si Ward, the game was effectively won.

Park continued to surge forward and when centre half Ben Peirson picked up the ball 40 yards from goal, there was only one thing on his mind. His shot was picture perfect as it arrowed into the top corner, extending Park’s lead to 7-0.

Si Ward was on hand for a second time, putting it on a plate for Toby Wilmington to nod home at the back post, before he again turned provider as Tom Peirson made it 9-0.

Stacey, who had been a mere spectator for the bulk of the game, was then substituted and left the field to great applause. His replacement, Jordan Radcliffe, could only watch on as Sam Dunkley then completed the rout late in the game, adding his fourth and seeing Park hit double figures for the first time in their history.

Brown Cow romped to a fantastic 9-3 victory against a well organized North Bridge side from the division above.

North Bride took the lead after less than two minutes with a well taken goal after some confusion in the defence. Kyle Tyers equalised after some good work from Scott Carney, before Carney finished neatly to make it 2-1.

North Bridge hit back to even things up with a decent strike, before Scott Carney latched on to a through ball before chipping the keeper it make it 3-2 at half time.

Brown Cow carried their momentum into the second half with Kyle Tyers scoring his brace and Scott Carney adding a further four goals. Tom Robinson finished off the rout with a another fantastic effort.

Halifax Rangers moved into the second round at the expense of Weavers with a closely fought 2-1 win.

Rangers, in fact, had to come from behind after the visitors struck through Jay Clissitt midway through the first half. He latched on to Andy Roberts’ glorious crossfield pass and gave Rangers keeper Josh Ward no chance.

The goal was little more than Weavers deserved, for they dominated possession in the first half, though nevertheless Rangers managed to hit back when top scorer David Oakes controlled Grant Metcalfe’s ball through the centre, turned and lashed home.

Ultimately the tie was settled two minutes into the second half when Oakes turned provider for Metcalfe, who sprang the offside trap, rounded keeper Peter Webster before calmly stroking the ball into an empty net.

Despite there being plenty of time remaining, few chances were created by either team, though Weavers skipper Gavin Martin was left to rue a clear shot from 18 yards that was well saved by Ward.

Rangers saw out the game out through dogged determination, with CJ Waddington, Shaun Kellet Danny Hunter and Andy Bowe worthy of special praise.

Top Club made through to the next round with a 4-2 win at Beehive and Cross Keys.

The game started scrappily with both teams putting in some strong challenges.

It was the visitors who went in front when the the Beehive goalkeeper spilled a long range effort which Lee Handley pounced on. Soon after Top Clubwon a penalty when Handley was brought down in the box. Top scorer Jamie Rice stepped up and fired straight in the goalkeepers hands.

Top Club continued to pile on the pressure with Tom Gorringe and Reece Rowley pulling the strings in the middle.

The visitors doubled their lead when Rowley played the ball back to Lee Handley who struck from distance with the keeper only able to parry the ball into the net.

The home team grabbed one back from a set piece that was volleyed in at the back post. Beehive then snatched another just after half time to make it 2-2.

The game was in the balance with both teams creating chances. An inspired substitution from stand in gaffer Roger Evans saw him bring on Dan McCloud who scored two late goals to make it 10 for the season and take Top Club through.

Ma Bakers booked their place in the last eight with a 7-0 win against St Columbas.

Their form had dipped in recent weeks with key players Andy Salm and David Woffenden missing through injury. However, the pair were back to their best against Saints.

It took Ma Bakers time to get going but as soon as they did they was no stopping them. Gerodie Watson opened the scoring with a superb, powerful curling shot from 25 yards.

Sam Halstead had a great game in centre midfield, scoring two goals, but it was David Woffenden who stole the show with his fourth hat-trick of the season.

Anthony Harris came off the bench to score yet another goal for the club.

Ryburn United were brought back to earth with a bump following their Halifax FA Sunday Cup exploits after they were sent tumbling out of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup following an 8-3 defeat at Premier Division Waiters Arms.

Hollins Holme bounced back from their shock FA Sunday Cup defeat by Ryburn United to consolidate their position at the top of the Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Preemier Division with a 3-1 win over Halifax Hammers,

Both teams looked to attack in the early stages and the first shot of note from Jasim Salih flashed just wide.

From the resulting goal kick Hollins went up the pitch and James Chadwick’s shot was turned round the post by Namaan Sarwar leading to the first corner.

The ball was delivered to the far post where Adam Butterworth headed it back across goal for James Chadwick to put Hollins in front.

Hammers played some good football and broke the Hollins offside trap leaving Ozair one on one with Chris Garbutt. However, he coulkd only steer his shot wide.

Chadwick then went through the Hammers defence like a knife through butter only to see Namaan Sarwar make a fantastic one handed save.

As half time approached Andy Butterworth fired in a shot thar Namaan Sarwar could only parry and George Bamford turned the ball home to make it 2-0 to Holme.

Steven Senior of Hollins and Hammers’ Irfan Afzal were booked early in the second half before Hammers pressed and forced three corners which led to Chris Garbutt making a good save. Hollins then applied pressure which led to Jamie Gwilliam firing home a third.

Referee Mick Denton ended up talking to several players on both sides as the game became a little fractious. Yasser was then fouled in the penalty area and Ashan Farooq scored from the spot for 3-1.

The game was ended as a contest when Yasser was sent off for swinging an elbow which meant Hammers played the last 10 minutes with 10 men.

Old Pond picked up valuable points after beating fellow strugglers Feathers 3-2.

Pond went 1-0 up when Paul Taylor crossed and Matty Parker slid home.

Feathers equalised from a set piece, Matthew Seekins heading home. Pond took the lead again through Glen Hall but were once more pegged back as Corey Henderson fired home.

The winner came from a Hall pass to Parker who hammered home with power.

Pond saw out the last 10 minutes with 10 men after Parker had to leave the field with a nasty cut above the eye.

The only other league game came in Division Two where Halifax Hammers Reserves romped to an 8-1 home win over West Central.