Ash keeps Green in the driving seat

Jimmy Smith for Hen's Face and James Crossfield for Feathers.
Jimmy Smith for Hen's Face and James Crossfield for Feathers.

FC Bowling Green remain in the box seat as far as the Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League title is concerned following their narrow 1-0 success at Elland Sports.

Although Elland had plenty of possession it was Green who looked the more likely to add to their tally the longer the game went on with Joe Swallow seeing a second half penalty saved after Gary Ash had been fouled in the area.

Green played up the hill and against the conditions in the first half with Elland having the majority of the possession.

However, they were unable to find a way past ‘keeper Paul Barker and it was the visitors, who always looked dangerous on the break, who grabbed the all-important goal.

A long clearance upfield was latched onto by Gary Ash who found himself on-on-one with the ‘keeper. The Green player then benefitted from a fortunate ricochet and was able to slide the ball home.

Ash should’ve done better with a header as Green looked to extend their advantage before the break.

The second half followed a similar pattern with Swallow also missing out on a one-on-one as well as his spot kick miss.

Barker saved smartly from an Anthony Campbell free kick as Elland looked for a way back which made for a nervy last 10 minutes for Green.

Hammers had at least three players out through injury but still had enough to win their game against FC Shoulder Northowram 5-1.

Both teams started sluggishly but playing into a strong wind Hammers were first to score with a flashing half volley from Waleed Raja.

Hammers were then caught out on the break and a good clearance by Shoulder saw the ball fall nicely for Lee Worrell who made it all square . Straight after the restart Mohamed Ozair went on a run and played a sharp one two with A. Hussain and Kashif Akmal, Ozair going around the ‘keeper to make it 2-1 to Hammers

With the conditions against them after the break, Hammers took 20 minutes before Waleed Raja made it 3-1 and ended the game as a contest.

Ahsan Farooq scored another solo goal after which young winger Sameer Ahmed was fouled in box and Mohammad Ozair gave the ‘keeper no chance.

Old Pond didn’t take long to shake off the cobwebs of a two month hiatus in Division One as they overcame a tricky Ryburn Valley side by 8-1.

Glen Lee was the star performer in a dominant display. He won the ball in midfield, threaded Michael Barlow down the right flank and he crossed allowing Paul Taylor to slide home an early opener.

Taylor had the opportunity to double the lead shortly afterwards as Lee was felled in the area, but he tamely stroked wide from the spot.

Lee continued to torment however, and set up two more. He first crossed for Taylor’s second, before finding Joe Shaw who bravely netted with a diving header.

The former Halifax and Brighouse Town man swapped from provider to goalscorer either side of the break. He netted with a deft touch from a Barlow cross, before notching with a cheeky back heel.

The Hove Edge side continued to dominate and Taylor completed his hat-trick before bagging a fourth. Lee picked him out through on goal and he lobbed home, before Shaw fed the prolific front man allowing him to slide home Pond’s seventh.

Chris Marsh made a welcome return from a lengthy break after an ankle problem and set up the eighth for Barlow who nodded a home a rare header at the back post.

Gary Binns grabbed a late consolation for the visitors, but the points were already in the bag for the league leaders.

Pond’s goalscoring exploits were eclipsed by fellow title hopefuls Hollins Holme who ran out 9-1 winners over mid-table Triangle.

The regular flawless back four of Thomson, Ryan Stansfield, Rob Stansfield and captain Gibson ensured that the Triangle forwards rarely got past them while any stray balls were easily collected by ‘keeper Steven Butterworth. Hollins forwards Bamford and Clayton both had chances which were well saved by the Triangle ‘keeper.

Hollins broke the deadlock after 20 minutes when an Andrew Butterworth corner found Bamford 12 yards out and he made no mistake.

Triangle started to see more of the ball but after 42 minutes a great run and cross by Clayton found Western who stabbed the ball home from close range. Hollins still weren’t finished as Gibson played a high ball over the Triangle defence which Bamford collected before running 30 yards and placing into the bottom corner giving Hollins a 3-0 lead at the break.

Hollins continued in the same vein and a foul on midfielder Chadwick 40 yards from goal gave Andrew Butterworth the chance to bend a ball into the top corner.

On 55 minutes Hollins were awarded a corner. Andrew Butterworth found the head of midfield partner Chadwick who made it 5-0. Further pressure was rewarded after 70 minutes when a cross from Butterworth was flicked on by Booth and Clayton was on hand to head past the ‘keeper.

Butterworth’s free kick made it 8-0 before Chadwick’s inch perfect through ball found Booth who beat the offside trap and drilled home from 20 yards

Triangle scored via a brilliantly taken free-kick but it was little consolation bearing in mind they have to face Hollins again this weekend.

Relegation-haunted Royd Club produced a stirring fightback to share the spoils from a 4-4 draw at Queens Head.

Royd were 3-0 down at the break, but a change of formation, a couple of substitutions and a fresh belief earned them a valuable point.

The visitors were weakened through injuries but started brightly only to find themselves a goal down, Richard Beecham scoring following an incisive break.

Queens doubled their lead when another break following a Royd corner saw Blake Gallagher tap in at the back post. Royd then looked to be down and out when Beecham hammered the home side 3-0 up from a corner.

Stand-in boss James Yates made his changes and they paid off immediately when Kurtis Elder netted from the penalty spot after he had been fouled by the ’keeper.

Yates then set up Elder for his second to bring Royd right back into the game.

A period of stalemate followed after which Queens made it 4-2 through Joe Bryson. Royd refused to give upo and James Megson twice hit the post before making it 4-3 with a shot from the edge of the box five minutes from time.

Royd finally claimed the point their play deserved when a quick throw in was crossed into the box and Brad Fairburn was credited with the decisive header.

The other games saw Greetland Goldstars inflict a 3-1 defeat on Bradshaw while Ryburn United ran out 3-2 home winners over Rastrick BC.

Hen’s Face took over the leadership of Division Two following their 3-2 home success over Feathers Reserves.

Meanwhile, North Bridge kept their promotion hopes alive with a 7-1 success at Halifax Rangers.