Bamford’s goal glut continues

George Bamford struck his third successive hat-trick as Midgley United took over at the top of the Haslem-Sheppard Halifax AFL with a 6-0 rout of visitors Sowerby United.

Monday, 3rd November 2014, 11:31 am
Midgley Utd v Sowerby Utd. Andrew Smith.

The game was even in the opening stages but the home side then got well on top with Jason Cartlidge and Ian Hudson bossing the midfield.

Bamford opened the scoring midway through the first half and the pivotal second came in the last minute of the half with Tom Rawnsley finding space to double Midgley’s lead.

Sowerby tried hard with Dean Lewis driving them on and Luke Bridges and Dan Crosland solid at the back.

Sign up to our daily Halifax Courier Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

However, Midgley made the game safe with a Joe Elwin goal before two stunning strikes from Bamford poured more misery on the visitors.

Andrew Butterworth wrapped up the scoring with a late goal.

Champions Ryburn started the day with a chance to go top, if Midgley lost, but they suffered a shock 2-1 home defeat to a Hebden Royd Red Star side with no substitutes.

Ryburn took the lead through Owen Wilkinson after 15 minutes with a shot from the edge of the box through a crowd of players.

However, Pat Thomas equalised on 35 minutes in a scramble following a corner.

The winner came 15 minutes from time when a long throw was allowed to bounce and Ben Norman scored from close range.

Red Star player-manager Chris Garbutt said it had been a brilliant performance, particularly in defence as Star had protected stand-in ‘keeper Richard Laycock.

Copley United and Calder ‘76 drew 3-3 on Savile Park.

Calder took a 2-0 interval lead with goals from the returning Ricky Topham, both the result of good work down the visitors’ right.

Jonny Gibson, who set up one of the goals, might have had one himself while Warren Clayton tipped over a couple of efforts at the other end.

Copley looked to have turned the game on its head with three goals in 15 minutes in the second half.

Michael Priestley scored twice in quick succession from corners and Gary Ash then flicked the ball over Clayton to give the home side the lead.

Steve Jones missed good chances for Calder before Gibson ran 25 yards and struck a fine shot into the top corner with a couple of minutes to go.

Division One leaders Holmfield romped to a 12-2 win away to Denholme United, much to the disappointment of home boss Mick O’Connor.

“It was the worst first team defeat I’ve see in around 30 years at Denholme,” said O’Connor, who described the performance of his players as “horrendous.”

The hosts had 11 players and no recognised ‘keeper.

Sweeper Matthew Beeney went in goal and Holmfield were quick to cash in, using the long ball to put him under pressure and scoring three times in the opening 10 minutes.

Denholme changed keepers at 7-0 down in the second half with the diminutive Carl Dennett, who had picked up an injury, going between the sticks.

The goals continued to flow, Danny Kirman finishing with four and Chris Woodhouse, Jordan Pettifor and Joe Dungworth bagging two apiece for Holmfield.

Matty Waring and Michael Midgley replied to provide a few crumbs of comfort for Denholme.

Mixenden beat Midgley United Reserves 4-1 to go second, ahead of inactive Volunteer Arms.

It was 1-1 at the break, Kayne Broadbent’s goal for Midgley replying to Mark Machon’s close-range effort for Mixenden.

Mixenden stepped up a gear in the second half and Adam Gaze gave them the lead with a glancing header.

A fine double from Stuart Sinclair settled matters. His first was a bullet header from a corner and his second a good finish after he had run down the right and then cut inside.

AFC Crossleys complete a breakaway top four. They were 7-1 home winners over bottom club Greetland Reserves with two goals each from Tom Boyle, Craig Gladwin and Nathan Sloane.

Salem and Elland Allstars both registered narrow away wins.

Steve Croft’s two goals helped Salem win 4-3 at Sowerby Bridge while Simon Hill netted twice as Allstars came out on top by the odd goal in nine away to Stainland United.

Calder ‘76 Reserves’ home game against Halifax Irish Centre was postponed due to the non payment of a fine by Calder to the West Riding FA.

Shelf FC are the new leaders of Division Two after Harry Talbot’s brace helped them win 4-2 away to Hebden Royd Red Star.

Dan Phipps and Ben Ireland got the visitors’ other goals.

Northowram Reserves also went above Brighouse Sports - who were exiting the West Riding Trophy at home to Hunslet Club Reserves - thanks to a 6-0 win away to Salem Reserves.

Paul Glew and Ashley Smee each scored twice for the league newcomers.

St Columbas are fourth after edging past visitors Sowerby Bridge Reserves 3-2 while Terriq Pervez maintained his good strike rate with two goals in West Central’s 6-4 home win over AFC Crossleys Reserves.

Northowram marched into the unchartered waters of the third round of the West Riding Cup with a 2-0 home win over West Riding CA Premier Division strugglers Tyersal.

They had the better of the first half, maintaining a high tempo down the slope, and reserve keeper Matt Jagger was hardly troubled as experienced pair Matthew Rushworth and Danny King dealt well with a succession of long balls.

Danny Rushworth’s firm header was blocked but continued pressure was rewarded after 23 minutes with Karl Amos’ angled finish.

Chris Conroy put a free header wide and Mark Eade’s angled effort went beyond the far post.

The visitors missed a glorious chance four minutes after the break and pressed after Conroy had wasted another good chance.

However, once Danny Rushworth put the Rams two ahead from Eade’s low cross after 70 minutes there looked to be only one winner and the host missed two good chances in the final eight minutes.

Elland United will also fly the flag for the Halifax AFL after a 4-2 home win over Storthes Hall Reserves.

However, Premier Division title hopefuls Stump Cross suffered an embarrassing 6-0 loss away to Goole United, Shelf United crashed 8-1 at home to Knaresborough Town and Warley Rangers lost 5-4 at home to Skipton LMS.

Shelf United’s reserve side fared better in the West Riding Trophy, winning 4-3 against Bradford Athletic.

Brighouse Sports, Illingworth St Mary’s and Ryburn United Reserves all bowed out.