Barge make numerical advantage count

Actions from the game, Elland Sports v Mount Tabor, at Elland Cricket Club. Pictured are Carlton Balmer and Maty Helliwell
Actions from the game, Elland Sports v Mount Tabor, at Elland Cricket Club. Pictured are Carlton Balmer and Maty Helliwell

FC Barge ran out deserved 5-3 winners in their Premier Division clash with a Carrington side that finished with nine men.

Both teams felt their way into the game with the wind playing a big factor in Carrington unable to get out of their own half.I

As a result the game was a scrappy affair with nothing in it until Alex Hallam fired a superb half volley into the top right corner from 20 yards.

This spured FC Barge on and they went 2-0 up with Hallam again finding the net with a neat finish.

Adam Walsh then added a third just before half-time as Carrington were unable to clear their lines in the strong wind.

Carrington started the second half brightly and wasted a few decent chances to get back into the game. Barge took full advantage to add a fourth through Walsh’s first time effort.

The game took a turn for the worst for Carrington as they went down to 10 men, but this galvanised them and they pulled two goals back including one from the penalty spot.

Carrington continued to press but the extra man told as Barge broke and neat one touch interplay set up Roy who smashed a left-footed shot into the bottom right corner.

Carrington added a third to set up a tense finish, but lost another man and Barge were able to see the game out.

FC Bowling Green are now 11 points clear in the race for the title following a 2-1 home success over Lee Mount.

However, they have played five more games than second placed Carrington and three more than FC Barge.

Green struggled to make use of the conditions in the first half as Mount took the game to the leaders.

Craig Lobley had to save smartly from Callum Meade before the Mount front man had a decent shout for a penalty turned down.

Green began to get a foothold and James Wroot hit the bar, Gary Ash spurned a number of chances and Tom Holroyde was denied a penalty when it looked as though he had been brought down in the box.

Mount came again and took the lead with Gareth Gaukroger striking home from 20 yards.

Green again struggled at the start of the second period as Mount continued to make the running. However, the home side struck twice in three minutes to wrestle the initiative away from the visitors.

Both goals came following good work down the right; Ash’s cross-cum-shot poked home on the line by John Elliott before Ash provided the cross for Jonny Collins to fire in the winner.

Mount worked hard to get back into the game but Lobley denied them an equaliser.

Elland Sports ran out 3-0 winners over Mount Tabor while Waiters Arms picked up maximum points from a 1-0 win over Halifax Hammers.

Elland started the game with a few players playing out of position due to absences, with Pete Southwell and Dene Heppenstall starting as makeshift centre halves.

It was Southwell who broke the deadlock when he cut inside on the right and hit a low left footed shot which deceived the ‘keeper.

Elland had plenty of possession but couldn’t turn that in to goals. The second half started much the same before Heppenstall netted twice; the latter saw him beat three defenders before rounding the ‘keeper and slotting home.

Tabor never gave up but rarely threatened Mick Higginbotham in the Elland goal.

The final game in the division saw visitors King Cross Sports beat Engineers 4-2.

Hollins Holme maintained their charge towards a Division One title and Halifax FA Sunday Cup double with a last-ditch 1-0 win at a Ryburn Valley side who were completing their fixtures.

Holme still have six games to play with boss Joel Booth insisting his players will remain focused as they look to book their place in the top flight.

Holme, many of whose players were playing their fifth game in eight days, were always on top as they continued their momentum from last week’s emotional penalty shootout success over Premier Division side Halifax Hammers at St Giles Road.

Valley’s third-string ‘keeper, Jonny Booth, was the man of the match as he pulled off a series of saves that ran into double figures.

Booth admitted that he thought the game was going to end in stalemate but with two minutes to go Spencer Harris crossed and Andrew Butterworth headed in to snatch the points.

Bottom side Royd Club and fellow strugglers Rastrick Bowling Club were involved in the ultimate game of two halves as they shared the spoils from a 4-4 draw.

The strong wind blowing down the pitch was clearly the winner as it made good football tricky and dictated the outcome.

Royd made use of the conditions in the first half to open up a 4-0 lead with a Brad Fairburn brace and one each from Ben Fairburn and Kurtis Elder.

However, any thoughts they had that the points were in the bag were dashed as the visitors also made full use of the conditions to score four of their own - one being an own goal.

Niall Cunningham netted twice as Greetland Goldstars inflicted a 2-0 defeast on Ryburn United.

However, the home side may feel slightly aggrieved as they had two goals disallowed by the referee.

The first one came following a corner when a Ryburn player was deemed offside, and the second when a Greetland player was fouled in the build-up to the final shot.

Cunningham’s first goal came via the penalty spot after he had been upended in the area. He then made the points safe before the break when he lobbed home the second from the edge of the box.

Queens Head maintained their late season form with a 3-2 home success over Bradshaw.

Both teams cancelled each other out for large parts of the game which was played in a good spirit.

Bradshaw took advantage of some weak defending to grab the lead only for Joe Bryson to peg them back.

The visitors reclaimed the advantage but again Queens came good and Anthony Fenwick levelled before the break.

The second half followed a similar pattern before Simon Batty grabbed the winner with five minutes left.

The only game in Division Two saw North Bridge reclaim top spot from Top Club on goal difference following a 7-4 home victory over King Cross Park.