Barge riding the crest of a wave

Actions from the game, King Cross Park v King Cross Sports, football at Savile Park.
Actions from the game, King Cross Park v King Cross Sports, football at Savile Park.

FC Barge continued their rich vein of form with a solid 3-0 victory against Elland Sports.

Barge where on the front from from the start, playing their usual passing game and getting plenty space down the wings while Matty Roy caused Elland’s right back all sorts of problems.

The first chance fell to Roy but, following a mazy run, his shot was well-saved.

Barge continued to create a number of chances and it was a surprise that tthe game remained goalless at the break.

The second half started in the same fashion with Barge probing away at the Elland defence before finally breaking the deadlock through a piece of individual brilliance from Roy who skipped past three Elland players from halfway before squaring the ball for Alex Hallam to tap into an empty net.

Elland started to compete and thought they had secured an equaliser with a wonderful strike from the edge of the box which was superbly saved by the ‘keeper.

Barge finally killed the game with two goials in the space of two minutes to claim all three points

FC Bowling Green produced their best display of the season to date to beat current champions Carrington FC 5-2.

Both sides were under-strength but it was Green who dealt with their losses the better.

Carrington took the lead through Jay Carney but the visitors were level five minutes later when Tom Holroyde latched onto Joe Swallow’s through ball.

Gary Ash then had two chances saved before Holroyde broke through to make it 2-1 and Andrew Sutcliffe added Green’s third before half-time.

Both teams continued to look dangerous after the break but it was Green who stretched their lead through Ollie Smith’s deflected shot.

Jordan Coduri pulled a goal back for Carrington and they piled on the pressure only to be caught by Ash’s breakaway goal near the end.

Waiters Arms put last week’s cup disappointment behind them with a fine 5-3 win over Feathers.

Despite missing six regulars through injury Waiters still started brightly but found themselves a goal behind after 10 minutes due to a fine finish from the dangerous Chris Silkstone.

This fired Waiters into life and they were soon back on level terms when Carl Maguire netted his first for the club.

Waiters continued to press and added a second as some good football involving Maguire and Billy Grogan released David Chappell to slot home from a tight angle.

Waiters flew out of the blocks in the second half and from a Grogan corner ve Adam Fenton rose highest to nod home.

Marco Romano made it four from an acute angle after good work from Scott McHale and then Maguire added the fifth with a deflected shot from the edge of the box.

Waiters took their foot off the gas in the last 10 minutes and this allowed Feathers to grab two late consolation goalsfrom Silkstone.

Halifax Hammers boss Saqaf Hussain was left furious after two of his players recieved their marching orders during the 5-5 draw with Shoulder FC Northowram.

However, they produced a fine comeback after being 5-2 down at one stage, Taz Wajid and Irfan among their goalscorers.

Old Pond produced their best performance of the season as they stretched their lead at the top of the Division One table following a 4-1 win at fellow high-flyers Hollins Holme.

Man of the match Glen Lee set up the opener for Paul Meredith who rifled in from 25 yards.

A goalkeeping error allowed leading scorer Paul Taylor to double Pond’s lead before Lee Williams hit a magnificent third before the break.

Pond continued to press into the second half, Joe Shaw hitting the bar early on, before a fourth was added shortly after with substitute Ben Sands breaking incisively allowing Lee to square for Wayne Allert to calmly rifle home to continue his excellent start to his Pond career.

Ben Clayton rose to head home a late consolation for Hollins.

Queens Head and Triangle fought out a 3-3 draw.

Triangle made the better start and desevedly went 2-0 up. Queens received a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty and Martin Cannon stepped up to score from the spot.

Queens then went on to create the better chances but were denied by two superb saves from the stand-in Triangle ‘keeper before Cannon finally pulled them level.

There was still time before the break for Stuart Parnell to put Queens ahead 3-2.

The second half saw little in the way of chances and there were just five minutes to go when Triangle levelled.

Queens had a chance to snatch it at the death but Kayne Broadbent’s screamer flashed the wrong side of the post.

The local derby in Division Two saw King Cross Sports Reserves beat King Cross Park 4-1 on the moor.

Park took the lead early on with a cross come shot that sailed over the Sports keeper into the top corner. However, soon after a great run and thunderbolt by Toby Young evened things up.

Sports upped their game and a cross by Taylor Oldfield was deflected over the line by a Park defender.

Sports added another after the break, man of the match Oldfield bending one in from an acute angle. Rory Thickett then made it 4-1, rounding off a great proformance where Wayne Mitton rolled back the years with a masterclass in defending at the back along side Brendan Fitzpatrick.

Hebden Bridge were made to work hard to claim all three points from a 7-4 win at Halifax Rangers.

Gav Martin netted a hat-trick while John Gibson also pitched in with two. However, the goal of the game came from James Dixon, who signed from the now defunct Stubbing Wharf at the start of the season. He picked up the ball 35 yards out and drilled it into the top corner.

A shocking performance from North Bridge saw them bow out of the Bridge Balti League Cup as Top Club went on the enjoy a 7-0 success.

Top Club pressed hard early on but were unable to break North Bridge’s defence. Tom Gorringe put Top Club 1-0 up with a long range effort which was deflected into the bottom right hand corner.

It got worse for North Bridge when Chris Carter received his second yellow card and that was pretty much game over.

Tom Gorringe claimed his second following a one-on-one chance and Top Club dominated the entire second half with a hat-trick from Daniel McLead and two goals from Wayne Collins.