Best ever as Waiters Arms reach last four

Waiters Arms booked their place in the semi-finals of the West Riding Sunday Trophy courtesy of an entertaining and gutsy performance which resulted in a 5-4 victory at highly-fancied Gomersal.

Waiters started strongly with Adam Fenton and the imposing figure of Freddie Bottomley bossing the midfield. And it was Bottomley who opened the scoring with a superb volley over the keeper from Paul Mitton’s cross.

Waiters continued to dominate with wingers Oliver Coates and Dean Fulton causing the home defence all sorts of problems and when the two combined Fulton ran through and deftly chipped the keeper for 2-0.

Things got even better just before the break when, after a succession of corners, top scorer Lee Wood rose highest to nod home Bottomley’s pin point delivery.

Waiters sat deep at the start of the second half with full backs Chris Doyle and Dean Park coming under increased pressure and when centre half Daniel Duck misjudged a long ball Gomersal’s Keiron Armitage ran through and notched his 25th goal in 10 games.

The arrears were reduced further when Wood inexplicably caught the ball off a corner in his own box resulting in a spot kick which Gomersal’s Andy Kaye netted.

This wasn’t to deter Waiters though and when Duck released Mitton he made no mistake with an ice cool finish to make it 4-2.

The game should of been wrapped up by then with only 10 minutes left but in true Waiters style they made it hard for the travelling support as Gomersal netted again through Kaye after a slip by Danny Johnson.

Manager Adam Fenton tried to shore things up giving Oliver Brierley his cup debut and his through ball released Fulton who netted sublimely on the run past the on rushing keeper.

Still it wasn’t over with Gomersal again netting in the dying seconds after the outstanding Ash Raynar in the Waiters goal had tipped a free kick on to the bar, Armitage netting the rebound.

Waiters then saw out the final seconds to earn a semi final date at Woodlesford in March.

Manager Fenton said: “The result and performance was the best in the Waiters history and the support the lads gave each other was outstanding. “They deserve their place and could go all the way and obviously the cup run means we should have enough in the coffers to carry on next year which is a bonus.”

ROB Malone had club officials scrambling for the record books as he netted 10 goals in Division One leaders Sun Inn’s 18-1 success over rock bottom Halifax Rangers.

That result meant that Sun easily retained their position at the head of the standings but a good day got even better after second-placed Oddfellows and fellow title hopefuls FC Champs both suffered defeats.

Rangers were in trouble early on when they had a player sent off for a professional foul. Sun took full advantage with malone running rampant.

It was far from a one man show, however, as Ben Timson (3), Wayne Collins, Ryan Collins, Tom Gorringe, Michael Drennan and James Symonds also got in on the goalscoring act.

Oddfellows slipped up 3-1 against a Queens Head side who defied their position close to the bottom with a fine display.

Queens could only muster the bare 11 but rallied well and fully deserved their victory.

Strike pair Frank Odion and Carlton Balmer worried Oddfellows all game and the pair combined well for Odion to give Queens a 1-0 interval lead.

It could have been more had they not been denied by a couple of good saves by the keeper.

Oddfellows started the second half well and Queens custodian Anthony Fenwick did well while the defence remained strong.

Balmer settled the nerves when he added a second but Oddfellows pulled one back to put the outcome in doubt again before Balmer wrapped up the points, netting from the rebound after his initial shot had been saved.

FC Champs saw their hopes of strengthening their title claim with a 4-3 home reversal by mid-table Old Pond.

Both sides showed great commitment in a cracking game which saw Pond hit the front through a superb team goal, Joe Shaw starting and finishing a move involving a succession of one-twos involving Michael Barlow and Paul Taylor.

Third placed Champs came back strongly and Dan Crosland broke free to fire home the equaliser, before Oliver Smith headed in a cross from the left flank to give the home side the lead. A top drawer turn and finish on his left saw Tom Robinson make it 3-1 to Champs.

Darrell Holdsworth gave Pond a lifeline with the last kick of the first half, smashing home from distance with the goal of the game.

There were chances at both ends in the second half with Champs starting to look the most likely. However, Ben Briggs made some good saves in the visitors net and at the other end Pond countered and Barlow squared for Ryan Richardson to smash home the winner.

Second bottom Ovenden Amateurs did their survival hopes a power of good with a 5-0 success at fellow strugglers Elland Sports Reserves.

TRIANGLE reduced the gap on Division Two leaders Stallions to five points after their 12-0 home drubbing of Stubbing Wharf.

Alex Brown claimed the scoring honours with five while Ben Brown, Damian Cook and Damian Roberts all netted twice. James Thompson made up the final tally.

Rastrick BC’s hoped of following suit stalled when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Ryburn Valley while Ryburn United maintained their push for a promotion place with a 4-2 victory over The Vine Reserves.

Ryburn’s young side, whose ranges age from 16 to a couple of over 20s, had Oriel Strophair in good goalscoring form as he claimed a hat-trick - shaking off the rustiness from his club’s nine week lay-off.

It was Stophair who opened the scoring but an improved Vine side, who had been beaten 8-0 in the first fixture between the two sides earlier in the season, hit back to level before the break.

Stophair put his side back in front and then he and Matt Swales combined to set up Alex Coburn for the third.

Strophair then broke through to complete his treble but The Vine, who were denied twice by the woodwork, showed good battling qualities to add a second.

Royd Club remain on the fringes following their 1-0 success at King Cross CB&AC Reserves while Top Club edged the mid-table clash with Greetland Goldstars 2-0.

At the foot second bottom Hebden Bridge reeled in the team directly above them - Halifax Rangers - courtesy of a 4-1 success over their fellow strugglers.