Boafo’s late strike earns a point

Ernest Boafo
Ernest Boafo

Thackley 1 Brighouse Town 1

An under par Town came back from a goal down in the 85th minute to rescue a valuable point on Tuesday night in their continued push for promotion.

They had had several good chances in the first half to open their account and also found home keeper Ben Higginson in commanding form.

It wasn’t until the 20th minute that Thackley had their first shot on goal, but in what was a frenetic first half, Town didn’t play with their normal assured authority.

They did lack the presence of leading goalscorer Tom Matthews owing to work commitments, and it showed. Skilful winger Ryan Hall’s first touch let him down time and again and maybe the uneven surface didn’t help.

Town’s Danny Naidole tested Higginson after three minutes and was high and wide minutes later.

Luke Gibson was proving a handful and he put in a great cross from the left for Ernest Boafo but he headed just wide. Two minutes later Boafo failed to find the target, and on 29 minutes Joe Jagger was agonisingly wide from a Naidole pass.

Thackley, playing the game at 100mph and hoofing it up field, did a cause a few problems late in the half but ‘keeper Jacob Giles was hardly brought into action.

Town’s right back Ben Thornton and his fellow defenders dealt with any balls that did get into the box and so it was goalless at the break.

One minute into the second half and Thackley’s Nicky Matthews did bring a great save out of Giles and at the other end five minutes later, Higginson saved well from Jagger. Shortly afterwards, the Thackley custodian saved well from a trademark Naidole free kick.

Then in the 65th minute the Town fans were silenced when from a free kick against skipper Leon Henry out on the right flank, his Thackley counterpart Matt Morgan swung in a superb cross and centre half James Firth headed home.

Town’s manager replaced James Hurtley with Martin Allison and they set about trying to salvage at least a point from the game. Not before twice in three minutes the Town goal survived two near scares as two shots came perilously close. One shaved the crossbar and the second saw Giles tip it away for a corner.

Town started to pile on the pressure but it looked as though they wouldn’t be going home with any points. However, Boafo cut in and delivered a superb shot from 20 yards to beat Higginson across the face of his goal.