Boss delighted as Shelf send Irish packing

Action from Midgley United v Ryburn.
Action from Midgley United v Ryburn.

Division One side Shelf United claimed a massive scalp as they saw off WRCAL Premier Division side Halifax Irish 3-2 to book a home third round date with Goole United in the West Riding FA Challenge Cup.

Boss Steve Goodwin admitted his side had rode their luck but was left thoroughly delighted by what he termed an exceptional team effort.

Irish were architects of their own downfall, particularly in the first half where Shelf made full use of the slope.

A cross from Elliott Parkinson caused confusion and an Irish defender poked the ball past his own ‘keeper for the opener.

Four minutes later it was 2-0 through another error with the ‘keeper kicking the ball straight to Joe Griffin who took delight in slotting it past him and into the net.

Shelf then had John Lister dismissed after pushing an opponent and Irish took advantage to reduce the arrears.

Shelf ‘keeper Daniel Gill then produced an excellent double save and his side went straight upfield with Mark Hindle latching onto a cross to make it 3-1.

Goodwin opted for a more defensive approach after the break and it was backs to the wall stuff as Irish took their turn to make the most of the pitch conditions.

Shelf were forced to dig deep with Gill again producing some fine saves to keep his side ahead, and even when Irish added a second the home side had the strength of character to hang on.

“We rode our luck, but you need that luck in cup football,” said Goodwin. “We deserved the result because of our workrate alone.

“Everybody worked extremely hard and it was the perfect way to bounce back after losing the derby with Northowram the previous week.”

Calder 76 suffered the agony of losing 5-4 in a penalty shootout after their tie against Robin Hood Athletic had ended 1-1

Holmfield AFC gave a fine account of themselves before bowing out following a 4-1 defeat by a Storthes Hall side lying third in the WRCAL Premier Division.

Storthes had won their last three on the bounce, scoring 17 goals in the process, yet Holmfield’s gameplan worked to perfection early on and they took the lead on the counter-attack when an accurate direct ball forward was well won by Gaukroger and his flick on was met with a deep run from Luke Greenwood who finished well from 18 yards.

Storthes Hall had an opportunity to draw level after 18 minutes but their penalty effort hit the bar.

Holmfield’s resilient defending continued and they also had a couple of opportunities to extend the lead, Greenwood putting an effort just wide from the edge of the area while Mick Palethorpe should have done better from inside the box.

Storthes came out for the second half with a more direct approach and were soon 2-1 up after six minutes.

Those goals took the wind out of Holmfield and two individual mistakes later in the half gave Storthes a comfortable lead which they never relinquished.

King Cross Warley tumbled out after they lost 4-2 at Westbrook YMCA.

Greetland Reserves were the only local side to experience any joy in the West Riding FA Challenge Trophy with their 2-0 home victory over Leeds City Old Boys.

AFC Crossleys went down 6-1 at Morley Town while Shelf United Reserves were beaten 4-2 at home by Otley Town Reserves.

Copley United collected their first Premier Division win of the season when a determined display earned them a 4-2 success at Sowerby United.

The home side took the lead when Corey Henderson worked his way into the box before setting up John Wilkinson to score.

Copley hit back in style as goals from Dan Willars, Gary Devlin and the outstanding Gary Ash sent them into a 3-1 lead.

A good finish from Wilkinson, following more fine work from Henderson, gave Sowerby hope, but despite being driven on by Dan Crossland Sowerby could not find the killer touch and Copley made the game safe with another strike from Willars.

Ryburn United moved level on points with Hebden Royd Red Star at the top following a 2-0 success at Midgley.

A strong wind blowing from end to end dictated things, although Midgley would have been disappointed that they could not take advantage of the conditions in the opening period.

They enjoyed most of the possession but failed to create meaningful chances while Ryburn defended stubbornley to keep it at 0-0 at the break.

Ryburn then went on to make full use of the conditions and forced the breakthrough with a scrappy Christian Silkstone goal. Two shots had been blocked before the visiting striker pounced on a loose ball to drill home.

Midgley were far from out of the contest and Tom Booth and George Bamford both missed chances to level before Luke Clinkard took advantage of gaps at the back to add Ryburn’s second in the dying minutes.

Sowerby Bridge’s hopes of picking up their first win of the season were thwarted when their scheduled home clash with Elland United was postponed.

Wadsworth United boss Steve Parker is convinced their first Division One win of the season is just around the corner after watching his side pick up a point from a 2-2 home draw with Denholme United.

The team are showing signs of coming together and although they let a 2-0 lead slip on Saturday Parker is pleased with the way the players have gone about their business.

“We are getting better and we have a core of players who want to play for the club rather than just play football,” said Parker.

“That first win is just around the corner, I am convinced of that. I firmly believe that this team will not be bottom of the league come the end of the season.”

A first half of few chances ended 0-0 after which Wadsworth got the bit between their teeth and Frank Howell put them ahead following a cross from Adam Brown.

They doubled their lead five minutes later through captain Kieron Sim who was playing his first game for two weeks.

However, Wadsworth were unable to prevent Denholme from staging a comeback with two goals in quick succession.

Northowram maintained their position at the top with a 6-2 away win at Elland Allstars while second-placed Salem were held to a 2-2 draw by Sowerby Bridge Reserves.

Joe Elwin helped himself to a hat-trick as Midgley United Reserves saw off the challenge from Denholme United Reserves in Division Two while Mixenden United strengthened their title hopes with a 3-0 home success over Calder 76 reserves.

The bottom of the table clash between Halifax Irish Centre Reserves and Sowerby United Reserves was postponed as Irish were unable to raise a side.

Salem Reserves saw their three game unbeaten run ended as Shelf ran out 3-0 winners in a Division Three game switched to Savile Park at the last minute after Shelf’s changing rooms were unavailable due to half-term.

Amazingly, this was the second time in as many seasons that this had affected this fixture.

Salem had not been in action the previous week and were caught cold in the first 20 minutes, conceding three goals from the only three noteworthy efforts on either goal.

The first was a fluke when a hopeful shot by Alex Conroy took a massive deflection off Richard Boyle and wrong-footed Salem ‘keeper Steve Hawksworth.

Both sides struggled to put two passes together as gale force winds ruined the game as a spectacle. However, Shelf managed two more through Steve Dunwell and Gary Boldy tap ins from inside the six yard box.

Both teams cancelled each other out for the remaining 70 minutes which would give Salem something positive to build on as they conceded 10 to the same opposition a month ago.

Salem had chance to pull one back when referee Roger Smith, who looked after proceedings well, awarded a penalty for handball but Josh Skinner mishit his attempt well wide.

Salem manager Matty Stones later admitted that he was looking forward to getting this result out their systems when they host league newcomers St Colombus next week in the meeting between the bottom two teams.

St Columbas picked up their second win after beating Savile Arms 4-3 while West Central held leaders Brighouse Sports to a 1-1 draw.