Bowling Green and Carrington through to last four

Damian Randall
Damian Randall

FC Bowling Green booked their place in the semi finals of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup after knocking out fellow top-flight side Waiters Arms 3-0 after extra time.

Green started the stronger and had an Adam Sharp goal disallowed for handball while Sam Taylor volleyed straight at the ‘keeper from eight yards.

Waiters had the better chances with Billy Grogan hitting the outside of the post and then seeing his lob over Green ‘keeper Craig Lobley hit the top of the bar.

The first 20 minutes of the second half was all Waiters as Green struggled to get out of their own half

Lobley was called into action to tip James Waggett’s effort round the post while Dave Chappell fired straight at the Green number one.

Green came into the game and Joe Swallow was twice crowded out when trying to engineer goalscoring opportunities.

The deadlock was finally broken five minutes into extra time when a back pass to the Waiters ‘keeper was pounced on by Gary Ash with the ball rebounding into the net from the challenge.

Green then had to resort to some last ditch defending as Waiters went on the hunt for an equaliser.

A similar start to the second period of extra time saw Green double their advantage when Chris Dennison and Reece Uttley combined. The latter’s cross was tipped onto the crossbar with Swallow on hand to volley home.

Waiters pushed forward in search of a lifeline but Green put the tie to bed when Swallow picked out Ash who lobbed home the third.

Carrington are also through to the last four following a 4-0 win at Hollins Holme.

The first half was a tight affair with little to choose between the teams and few chances of note.

The game opened up a bit more after the break as both sides pushed to make the breakthrough. The first clear chance came on the hour mark and it fell to Hollins but Carrington keeper Craig Turnbull was able to pull off a spectacular point black save with his face and the visitors broke swiftly and took the lead with a fine finish from Damian Randall.

The home side changed things around to try and press for an equaliser but that meant leaving more space for Carrington to counter attack.

The game was now very stretched and the next goal was always going to be crucial and with 10 minutes to go Jay Carney beat his marker and slid the ball home to seal the win.

Two further late goals from Randall and Jordan Coduri completed the scoring.

The Premier Division clash between Halifax Hammers and Oddfellows was abandoned by the referee in the 80th minute due to a mass brawl involving up to 40 people at Trinity Academy.

Oddfellows were leading 3-2 at the time of the incident.

The only other Premier Division game saw Old Pond move into third after their 4-2 win at struggling Feathers.

Mount Tabor maintained their advantage at the top of Division One following a 2-1 home win over Bradshaw while Ryburn United leapfrogged Ryburn Valley into second following a 3-1 win at their rivals.

It was the typical game of two halves with United dominating the first period then facing a barrage from the hosts and the weather in the second.

Lewis Cockcroft found space to shoot and although ‘keeper Matty Hirst got to it he spilled the ball, leaving the defence helpless as it rolled over the line.

United maintained the pressure and Lewis Brierley found the back of the net for the second. Valley then rallied and Craig Davison pulled one back but another Brierley goal put United firmly in command at the interval.

The weather and the flow of play turned dramatically in the second half with United facing hail and a renewed resolve from Valley. However, the hosts just couldn’t find a finish and, despite having much of the play and plenty of opportunities were unable to add to the scoreline.

Hens Face put some daylight between themselves and the bottom two places with a 3-0 home win over Royd Club.

Royd started well but were twice denied by home ‘keeper Neil Birchall before Hens face responded with Chris Gladwin and Jake Kennedy narrowly off target.

The deadlock was ended when man of the match Shaun Byrne put a ball through the Royd defence and Jake Kennedy lobbed the ‘keeper for 1-0. The second goal came via a counter attack with Joe Sykes playing the ball out wide to Kennedy who crossed for Byrne to tap in just before half time.

Hens Face continued to look the more dangerous after the break thanks to great work from Tom Smith and Joseph Sykes in midfield.

The third goal came from a corner with Kennedy crossing for Byrne to head his second.

Royd had couple of late chances but the home defence remained solid.

Division Two leaders Brown Cow bounced back from last weeks setback to inflict a 7-2 defeat on a spirited St Columbas side.

Cow were quick out of the blocks and took the lead with Ash Scully chipping the keeper following a superb ball from captain Gary Binns.

Columbas levelled with a fine effort before Scott Carney restored Cow’s lead with a strike after Binns had once again done the spadework.

The second half saw both teams cancelling each other out before Ash Scully increased Cow’s lead with a fine effort. Carney added a second following a great run from Jack Robinson before Matt Bodkins, Kyle Tyers and Tom Robinson scored in quick succession to complete the rout.

Columbas scored a consolation strike with Cow keeper Aaron Bergin beaten by a freak goal in the difficult conditions.