Brighouse fail to overcome Bridge

Ryan Hall
Ryan Hall

Bamber Bridge 4 Brighouse Town 2

Promotion chasing Bamber Bridge completed a double over Town but they did not have things all their way against a side with a makeshift forward line.

With no Tom Matthews once more, and his long term future looking uncertain, Ernest Boafo and Billy Law, central defender Tyrone Gay led the line.

In the first five minutes it was all Town, with the Preston-based side having just one excursion into the Town box. However, on seven minutes Kieron Pickup swung in a deceptive cross which Jacob Giles did well to tip over for a corner.

Isaac Baldwin replied for Town from all of 30 yards and keeper Lee Dovey had to dive low at his far post to save.

On 20 minutes, Giles saved well from a Stuart Vasey header, and then once more from a Darren Green header after a good cross from Danny Mahoney.

Five minutes later and Ryan Hall tested the home defence before once more the streetwise Green called Giles into action.

Town then had a purple patch as Sam Hewitt and Chris Fisher combined from a free kick to provide Adam Wilson with a good scoring chance but his header went over.

Then, Hall and Baldwin combined, but the latter’s shot was from distance and easily snuffed out.

Bamber Bridge took the lead on 43 minutes when their skipper Matt Lawlor powerfully headed in from a corner but Giles was clearly fouled by Green on the line. He vehemently protested to referee Michael Crompton and found himself being unjustly booked.

Town responded superbly on the re-start as Gay on 47 minutes powered in a header off a Fisher corner after Baldwin had chased down a defender over 35 yards to win the corner.

The scoreline altered five minutes later following Martin Allison being booked for a foul wide out on the right.

Once more Lawlor was left unmarked and he bulleted in a header to make it 2-1. Three minutes later and Allison was replaced by Danny Hull.

The hosts made it 3-1 on 60 minutes when Fisher pushed Alistair Waddecar over in the box. Mahoney made no mistake as he sent Giles the wrong way.

Hall replied well for Town who had Kurt Harris winning a lot of ball and Hewitt working very well in the back four.

Green made it 4-1 on 75 minutes after being put through by probably one of the best football sides Town have come up against this term and then calmly beating Giles.

However, Town were not finished and three minutes later Baldwin and Hall combined superbly out on the left with the latter firing in a great shot for what was the goal of the night.

Town did not rest and pushed hard to reduce the deficit but on a surface that had the ball bobbling a lot they just couldn’t get the run of it and had to accept defeat.