Brighouse leave it late

Brighouse Town 4

Liversedge 2

BRIGHOUSE rode their luck before securing a precious Northern Counties East League Premier Division victory over derby rivals Liversedge.

Paul Quinn’s side had huffed and puffed their way through the first half against a side containing a number of their former players.

It came as something of a surprise when the home side took the lead after Liversedge had looked the more threatening, Danny Naidole’s corner headed in by Steve Hollingworth.

The visitors continued to pose the greater threat and deservedly drew level just before the half hour when ex-Brighouse favourite Nathan Cartman fired home before another former St Giles Road player, Alex Hallam, set up the dangerous David Boardman to grab the lead a minute later.

Quinn had seen enough and re-organised his defence after the break – a move which gradually saw Town wrestle the initiative from their visitors.

Their renewed determination led to Danny Hull levelling with 15 minutes left and as Town pushed on Alex O’Keefe slotted home from the edge of the area.

Brighouse were not finished and added a fourth late on when O’Keefe and Ryan Brook combined superbly to set up Naidole.

“We got the result we wanted but certainly we didn’t get the performance we wanted in the first half,” said Quinn.

“We were lucky to go in 2-1 down at the break because Liversedge had played well and we hadn’t.

“We made a few changes at half-time and the lads responded really well. We were a completely different side after the break and we took our chances, which is what we needed to do.

“We had to show a lot of character and the encouraging thing for me is that we were able to come back from behind and win the game.

“Having said that we cannot afford to give teams the lead and that is something we will be addressing.”

Late goals from Louis Saha and Jack Rodwell earned Everton a 3-1 victory at Fulham, who lost at home for the first time in the league this season.

Royston Drenthe’s early strike gave the Toffees a third-minute lead but Bryan Ruiz’s exquisite chip midway through the second half looked to earn a share of the spoils.

However, strikes from Saha and Rodwell in the closing stages secured a welcome victory in west London for David Moyes’ team.

Rafael van der Vaart’s two goals earned victory for Tottenham at struggling Blackburn to increase the pressure on Rovers boss Steve Kean.

Another protest was staged outside Ewood Park by disgruntled Blackburn fans prior to kick-off and the heat was turned up further on Kean when Van der Vaart put Spurs in front inside the opening quarter of an hour.

The hosts equalised through Mauro Formica’s fierce strike in the 28th minute, but Van der Vaart produced a brilliant winner eight minutes after the restart.