Brighouse let first half lead slip away

Brighouse Town 2

Nostell MW 2

GRAHAM Marchant struck late on to deny his former side the victory that would have kept them at the top of the Premier Division table.

Instead Paul Quinn’s side had to settle for a share of the spoils after the 2-2 draw which knocked them back down to third behind leaders Bridlington Town and Parkgate.

It had all been going so well after Brighouse opened up a 2-0 lead by the break. However, lapses in concentration led to Nostell pulling a goal back just after the hour before Marchant struck just three minutes later and then helped his side to hold on for the draw.

Brighouse boss Paul Quinn admitted to feeling disappointed that his side had lost a two-goal lead but refused to be over critical, calling it a minor blip following an impressive run of results.

“I am disappointed but I am not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater,” said Quinn. “We fully deserved to go in 2-0 up at half-time and even when Nostell pulled it back we were still having a go.

“What it has shown is that we have got to learn to close games out. I said to the players at half-time that the minimum requirement is that it stays 2-0. Unfortunately, the goals we conceded were really soft to be honest but I am not going to criticise because the defence is one of the areas where we have looked really strong in recent weeks.”

Anthony Haigh put Brighouse ahead after 25 minutes with a fine finish following a one-on-one with the Nostell keeper. Ben Green doubled the advantage four minutes before the break when he slotted home from the spot at the second attempt after his original attempt had been saved.

Brighouse then failed to push on and make the most of their chances and were made to pay when Ben Njie reduced the deficit before Marchant struck the second.

“The back four switched off but to be fair they had not really had that much to do during the game,” added Quinn.

“We had so much possession in the second half but if you don’t take your chances you get punished.

“I would be more worried if we were losing matches but I can assure everybody that we will be better on Saturday. There were still plenty of positives to come out of the game.”

BRIGHOUSE Town Academy will be at home against Loughborough next round of the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday, October 19 following the outstanding 3-2 victory over their Grimsby Town counterparts.

Oliver Scott put Simon Wood’s side on their way after which Dale Feather doubled the lead and although Grimsby brought the tie level, Josh Martin’s extra-time penalty saw Brighouse through.

The winners will play Kidderminster or Matlock Town in the following round.