Brighouse undone by second half blitz

Tyrone Gay
Tyrone Gay

Spennymoor Town 4 Brighouse Town 1

A gale force swirling wind didn’t help either side, but it didn’t stop both teams contributing to an entertaining and competitive game for the hardened 408 spectators.

Spennymoor had an early chance after two minutes when Gavin Cogden broke clear, but Town keeper Jack Cookson was quickly off his line to save.

Town were looking sharp, with Tyrone Gay looking every bit a forward despite playing in an unaccustomed role due to the unavailability of Ernest Boafo.

Town made the most of their good start by taking the lead on 13 minutes. Ben Thornton’s deep corner was turned back into the danger area by James Hurtley for Tom Matthews to smash home. Soon after Town could have extended their lead when a long ball out of defence by Hurtley saw Gay take the ball past the onrushing home keeper Adam McHugh outside the area, but his pass was just behind the unmarked Matthews who would have had an open goal.

Town’s workrate was superb with Danny Hull and Martin Allison leading the way, and Matthews and Billy Law working back to help out when needed.

Isaac Baldwin and Leon Henry looked dangerous every time they ran at the home defence. Matthews had the home defence in all sorts of trouble as he twisted and turned inside the box but was eventually crowded out before getting a shot in.

As the half wore on Spennymoor came more into the game. Anthony Peacock and Cogden exchanged passes superbly for the latter to shoot just over, Cogden’s looping shot hit the top of the bar and Paul Johnson headed over from a free kick.

Spennymoor started the second half with real purpose and pushed Town onto the back foot; their two wide players, Peacock and John McReady looking very impressive.

The home side won a free kick on the edge of the Town box on 53 minutes and fullback Kallum Griffiths used the wind to his advantage as his powerfully hit swirling shot found the back of the net.

Spennymoor were now a yard quicker to the ball and their neat passing was causing Town problems. On 60 minutes McReady set up Cogden to fire into the far corner to make it 2-1, then a minute later McReady supplied the final pass for Nathan Fisher to score with a similar finish to make it 3-1.

Fisher got his second goal on 69 minutes to complete a real purple patch for the home side and undo all the hard work Town had put in.

Youngsters Elliott Scott and Tim Wallace replaced Allison and Gay to gain some valuable experience and both players showed up well, as too did the rest of the players who gamely battled on until the final whistle and showed the pride to keep the score respectable we have come to expect.