Brighouse work hard to secure fourth successive league win

Brighouse Town 2

Thackley 0

BRIGHOUSE Town produced the start to 2012 they were looking for after securing their fourth successive Northern Counties East League Premier Division victory following a tough encounter with Bradford rivals Thackley at boggy St Giles Road yesterday.

Paul Quinn’s side have impressed onlookers with the style in which they have performed in recent weeks. However, the heavy conditions dictated that this was to be more of a battle - and it was a battle they eventually won with honours.

Thackley enjoyed the better of a physical first half as they adapted to the conditions better than their hosts.

But they proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot when Mark Bett was flashed a straight red card after showing dissent to one of the match officials just before the break.

Brighouse seized the moment and started the second half better, which resulted in Shane Hamilton putting them ahead early on when he gambled on chasing a long ball forward and stroked the ball past the keeper.

That settled Brighouse and they went on to secure a valuable three points when Tom Matthews beat a couple of players before firing in from inside the area.

“It certainly wasn’t pretty but we are delighted with the three points,” said Quinn. “It was definitely a different performance to the ones we have produced recently - a very different game in fact - and we had to show a different side to our character.

“Thackley probably had the better of the first half but then they had a player sent off and we took full advantage after the break.

“The players adapted superbly and as we have such a tough month to come, with three of the leading sides coming to Brighouse, it was a very welcome win and a good way to start the new year.”

Brighouse now have less than a week to regroup before they play host to a Winterton Rangers side who lie fourth following their 1-0 home victory over Barton Town Old Boys yesterday afternoon.