Brown Cow and Ma Bakers to contest League Cup final

Actions from Royd Club v Ryburn United, at Brearley Playing Fields. Pictured are Danny Swales and Joel Holt
Actions from Royd Club v Ryburn United, at Brearley Playing Fields. Pictured are Danny Swales and Joel Holt

Brown Cow secured a Springfield Camping League Cup final date with Ma Bakers following a hard-fought 5-1 win against a tough Bradshaw side.

Both teams started brightly with some competitive play before Cow struck first with Scott Carney playing a delightful ball for Ash Scully to race in and score at the near post.

Scully turned provider following some good link up play for Kyle Tyers to head home after which Carney added a brace to make it 4-0 at the break.

Tom Robinson added a fifth from all of 40 yards early in the second half following a bad clearance from the Bradshaw ‘keeper.

Brown Cow’s midfield were more dominant with Scott Cartman, Matt Bodkins and Tom Robinson to the fore, but Bradshaw played their part and were unlucky to have two goals ruled out for offside as they piled on the pressure.

That pressure did eventually pay off with Martin Woodhouse neatly slotting home a late consolation.

Ma Bakers eased through courtesy of a 2-0 success over Division One side Triangle

Premier Division leaders Carrington romped to a 14-2 win over Old Pond in a one-sided encounter at Trinity Academy.

Pond were missing a number of players and the home side took full advantage winning each half 7-1.

Leon Hurles-Brook celebrated his 18th birthday with four goals, Jay Carney and Jordan Coduri both completed hat-tricks and there was one each for Robbie Graham, Damian Randall, Chris Ellerby and Hayden Keris.

Stephen Ashford and Glen Hall were the scorers for Pond.

Hollins Holme maintained their title challenger with a 4-1 win at struggling Feathers FC.

Hollins were down to a bare 11 with just manager Joel Booth on the bench. Regulars Joe Gibson, Andy Butterworth, Steve Senior, James Chadwick, Rob Day, Jordan Dean, James Cowens were all injured or unavailable.

Hollins broke the deadlock on 20 minutes when a cross from Jamie Gwilliam was flicked on by Rhys Dean for George Bamford to tap in from close range. The second came shortly after; Bamford laying off to Dean who turned on the edge of the area and slotted into the top corner.

On 35 minutes Hollins were firmly in the driving seat when Bamford crossed for Gwilliam who beat two men before firing past the keeper.

The back four of Thompson, Rob Stansfield, Ryan Stansfield and Em Humphreys were rarely troubled until the 40th minute when a mix up in communication saw stand in keeper Steve Butterwoth flap at a cross allowing Feathers to tap home from six yards.

The second half was all Hollins with Spink, Garbutt and Fielding all going close and keeping the Feathers ‘keeper busy.

Hollins’ fourth came on the hour mark; a cross from Gwilliam finding Bamford unmarked and he headed into an open net for his second.

More shots followed from Gwilliam, Spink, Garbutt and Bamford during a final half hour onslaught.

Third-placed Lee Mount ran out 5-0 home winners over Halifax Hammers while Odfe,llows, fresh from their 3-2 win over Feathers the previous weekend, beat FC Bowling Green 1-0.

Green had the majority of the possession in the first half with Oddfellows mounting a few attacks.

The crucial goal arrived after the break when a piece of trickery from Chris Summerscales saw him cut back in from the wing and cross for Chris Horsman to head into the top right hand corner leaving Green ‘keeper craig Lobley helpless.

Ryburn United moved to within a point of Division One leaders Mount Tabor with a resounding 8-1 demolition of relegation-threatened Royd Club.

United were made to work hard in an even first half as Royd Club enjoyed some good possession. United’s leading scorer Bub Cockroft was guilty of missing a simple header from six yards after a fine right wing cross from Nat Powell and skipper Matt Lamb saw his thunderous free kick palmed away by the goalkeeper.

However, United were not to be denied as Ted Fraine latched onto Cockroft’s through ball before unselfishly squaring the ball to Daniel Swales to finish into the vacant net.

A shock seemed to be on the cards early in the second half as Royd Club found their equaliser. After a surging run from midfield, the ball was played across the area and expertly finished past the helpless Cameron Stephenson in the Ryburn goal.

However, almost immediately United were back in front as a Daniel Swales long throw was inadvertently headed past his own goalkeeper by a defender.

United doubled their advantage two minutes later when excellent work by Ted Fraine fed the on rushing Sean Ling, who drilled a fine left-footed strike across the goalkeeper and into the far corner.

It wasn’t long before United notched their fourth as Ling found some space on the edge of the penalty area and fired through a crowd of bodies into the corner.

United continued to pepper the Royd Club goal and man of the match Cockroft then got in on the act as United made it five. Fraine was again the architect as Cockroft skipped past the challenge of the last defender before rifling an unstoppable left footed strike from the edge of the area into the top left hand corner.

Things got better for United as they then carved out a strong contender for goal of the season. A flowing move saw Nat Powell deliver a fine ball from the right wing, which Cockroft duly dispatched with a spectacular overhead kick.

United added a seventh as Powell got himself on the scoresheet with a firm header that the goalkeeper failed to hang on to.

With the clock ticking down United were able to round of a fine second half display as Cockroft completed his hat-trick. The impressive Bogus Dziel found Cockroft in the area, who swept another fine left footed strike into the corner for his 42nd goal of a productive campaign.

Top Club moved into third courtesy of a 5-3 home win over North Bridge.

Beehive & Cross Keys and Halifax Hammers Reserves did their Division Two promotion hopes the power of good with victories over King Cross Park and Weavers respectively.

Beehive, who take on top flight side Halifax Hammers in the final of the Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA Cup at Brighouse Town on Wednesday, warmed up with a 6-1 success while Hammers ran out 9-2 winners at Weavers.

The match between North Bridge Reserves and Halifax Rangers ended 2-2 with a draw being perhaps the fair result.

North Bridge took the lead after 10 minutes through Alex Conwell when he ran through the Rangers defence, latched onto the through ball and gave keeper Josh Ward no chance.

The home side had the better of things in the first half hour but when Rangers’ manager Pete Bowe elected to bring himself on the visitors showed more fight and it was Bowe who equalised with a header off brother Andy’s long throw right on half-time.

Soon after the break the visitors found themselves behind once more when veteran Andy Warnes hoodwinked Martin Bishop near the centre circle, advanced towards goal then unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

Rangers went on to enjoy the lion’s share of possession without really hurting the North Bridge rearguard, and in the end it took a wayward shot from Bishop, with the aid of a big deflection, to earn the visitors a point.