Brown Cow move further clear at the top

Scott Cartman for Brown Cow and Sidney Wan for Ovenden Phoenix.
Scott Cartman for Brown Cow and Sidney Wan for Ovenden Phoenix.

Only four Ziggy’s Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League matches survived the weekend freeze with Division Two leaders Brown Cow one of the teams to profit.

They stretched their lead at the top of the table to 11 points following an 8-0 drubbing of second-bottom Ovenden Phoenix.

Phoenix only had 10-men and put up a spirited performance, but Brown Cow were always too strong.

Scott Carney started the scoring off with a fine run before turning provider for Kyle Tyers to Head home to make it 2-0.

Scott Cartman added a third with a wonderful strike before Carney scored again to make it four at the break.

Cow carried on in the second half where they left off with a brace from Tommy Robinson and central defender Branny Wilkinson sneaking in to score before Carney completed his hat-trick.

Phoenix rarely trouble Cow’s stand in keeper with Gary Binns marshalling the bank line well alongside Jack Robinson and Rory Thickett.

Top Club were beaten 4-3 by Division One high fliers Ryburn Valley at Lane Head.

The pattern was set early on; Top Club enjoyed a lot of possession, with Tom Gorringe usually in the thick of their best work, whilst the visitors had electric pace in offensive areas and played on the counter.

It was first blood to the visitors on 13 minutes as they typically sprung with pace down the left allowing their centre forward to put his side ahead.

It could have got worse as James Lord sliced onto his own crossbar – whileat the other end a couple of chances were created but squandered. Gorringe laid off to Dan Lax but he struck wide of the post, before what started off as a bodged set play culminated in Gorringe testing the Ryburn keeper.

The visitors were then handed a real fillip just before the break as they doubled their advantage; a well hit shot finding the net off the stricken Top Club keeper.

The second period started with the home side showing a real intent. The Valley keeper made an excellent close range block and Lord had the opportunity to rifle home the rebound but fired over.

The goal that their increased vigour merited didn’t take long in coming; a stray pass across the defence was latched onto by Lax who gladly accepted the invite to bring his side back into the match.

The equaliser that followed on 54 minutes was all the work of Gorringe. His mazy run was brought to an abrupt end in the penalty area and he duly dispatched the spot kick to bring his side level.

The Rastrick side now looked the more likely to go on and win the three points – but the constant threat of the visitors lightning attack allowed them to steal back in front.

It got worse as Top Club found themselves two in deficit again through a fortuitous fourth. The Valley winger put a cross into the box which deviated in the air and dropped just under the crossbar.

There was no lack of hunger for Top Club to once more attempt to claw themselves back into the match, but their effoprts proved in vain.

Lax grabbed his second of the match, lifting the ball over the keeper from the left of the penalty area, but time ran out for his side.

Hen’s Face produced a fine display to beat North Bridge 4-0.

The game started with Bridge playing downhill on a pitch that was hard but playable.

Man of the match Jake Kennedy latched onto a great pass from Shaun Byrne but fired wide before Byrne missed from eight yard with a half volley.

The same player then produced another great pass and Kennedy lobbed the on-coming keeper to make it 1-0.

The second came in exactly the same manner with Byrne again setting up Kennedy and he made no mistake with a half-volley.

Half time wwas approaching when Hen’s Face added their third with Howard Metcalfe playing a good ball over the defence for Kennedy to grab his hat-trick with a good finish into the bottom corner.

The final goal came when keeper Neil Birchall collected a ball which he played long for Kennedy to race onto and again he finished well with a half volley into top corner crowning an excellent personal and team performance.

The only top flght game to get the go ahead saw Halifax Hammers inflict a 3-2 defeat on Waiters Arms.