Calder shatter Stump hopes

Midgley United are poised to land the Haslem-Sheppard Halifax AFL title after Calder Valley neighbours Calder ‘76 pulled another rabbit out of the hat last night.

Calder lived up to their reputation for being the most unpredictable side in the league by flooring second-placed Stump Cross 3-2.

Gavin Fleming got the decisive goal midway through the second half to the delight of numerous watching Midgley players.

Stump remain six points behind the leaders and the top two both have three games left with Midgley at Ryburn on Friday evening and Stump tackling Warley Rangers on Saturday.

Calder took the lead after 10 minutes when Richard Stock’s long throw was missed by a defender and Remi Allen went through one-on-one with the keeper before applying a finish.

Dan Crosland equalised soon after but James Megson restored the home side’s lead with a well worked goal, Paul Ashman, Steve Jones and Allen making significant contributions in the move.

Matty Hoyle flicked on a throw-in for the unmarked Crosland to head home after half an hour but Fleming had the decisive say midway through the second period.

Stump piled on the pressure and volleyed straight at ‘keeper Warren Clayton with possibly their best chance but Calder held out and their player Simon Stansfield said: “We battled really hard and deserved it.”

Calder are through to the district cup final and ended Midgley’s long unbeaten league run recently but they still need more points to save off the threat of relegation after two of their rivals had wins on Wednesday.

Copley stay bottom but will have taken heart from a 2-1 win at Greetland, Lee Worrall getting both goals, while Sowerby United also won away, by 3-2 at Ryburn United.

Those results were bad news for Shelf United, who are now next to bottom after losing 2-0 at home to Warley Rangers, who had Tom Hiley and Jonny Burston on target.

Sowerby Bridge were 5-2 winners against Volunteer Arms to virtually snuff out any lingering hopes Wadsworth United had of promotion in Division One.

Volunteer went in front with an excellent goal from Craig Kemp, who ran from half-way and then fired home, after 15 minutes.

Michael Rigby made it 1-1 before half time and Bridge would have had a clear lad but for the heroics of visiting ‘keeper Peter Jennings.

Lee Wood sent Rigby in to make it 2-1 and a Raijko Jovanovik penalty after Rick Taylor had been brought down increased Bridge’s advantage.

Kemp put Volunteer back in the hunt but a superb header from Wood and a final goal from Richard Hirst kept up Bridge’s pursuit of title favourites Hebden Royd Red Star.