Calder through after shootout drama

Simon Stansfield and Tom Garland in action during Calder 76's victory over Hebden Royd
Simon Stansfield and Tom Garland in action during Calder 76's victory over Hebden Royd

Hebden Royd Red Star were on the wrong side of a penalty shootout decider on Saturday as their Skircoat Green Physiotherapy Challenge Cup Second Round tie with Calder 76 finished goalless after 120 minutes of football. The contest was decided after the tenth round of spot kicks, with the hosts eventually prevailing 7-6 in sudden death.

Red Star manager Dave Whitehouse opted for a 4-5-1 formation in an effort to help close down the space on Calder’s much larger home pitch. Tom Garland was asked to lead the line up front alone, while James Dixon took his place in goal to cover for the absent captain Glynn Claxton. The hosts matched Star’s formation, with Remi Allen acting as the spearhead of their attack.

The opening exchanges were tight and evenly matched, and it was Red Star’s Eddy Harvey who wasted the first clear chance of the game as he fired high and wide after breaking through on the right hand side of the area. On the opposite flank Jordan Dean had a goalbound effort blocked by a defender on the line, before Dixon flung himself to his left to tip Allen’s long range strike around the post.

Both teams continued to cancel each other out and there was little in the way of goalmouth action. In the second half, Calder were the side posing more of a threat as Red Star struggled to get up alongside Garland in support. Dixon leapt to tip Steve Jones’ curling effort over the bar, and Allen should really have scored when presented with a free header six yards from goal.

As the game ticked down towards the final whistle, it became obvious that any goal was likely to be a winning one and James Chadwick came close to providing it in the last minute as his header from a Jack Earle long throw flew just a foot wide of the post.

Extra time was notable only for an injury to the unfortunate Earle, who had to be replaced by Jamie Eaton after getting his studs caught in the turf. It could be a major blow for Star and for Earle especially, who had only returned this year after missing all of last season with a similar knee injury.

After five penalties each, the score was locked at 3-3 after Red Star had initially held the advantage following two saves from Dixon. The next six penalties were all scored, until Calder’s ninth taker was denied by Dixon diving to his left. That meant Harry West had the chance to win it for the visitors, but his kick was saved by Warren Clayton low to his right. The hosts scored their next penalty, before Dixon stepped up and skied his effort over the bar to send Calder through at the expense of their local rivals.

Goals from Corey Henderson and Lee Barber helped Sowerby United come out on top 2-0 in their derby clash at Sowerby Bridge.

Bridge were quick out of the traps and Martin Bates had an effort cleared off the line, but United weathered the early onslaught before starting to push the hosts back.

Man of the match Henderson was a big danger to the home side and he put United ahead after 20 minutes, cleverly flicking the ball over two markers and into the net past stand-in keeper Adam Sheering

Bridge, with Adam Barlow and Lee Wood driving them on from midfield, failed to break down a solid United back four that was well marshalled by Ryan Brook and Garry Boyd.

The lead was doubled in the second minute of the second half when Barber beat his man before chipping over the keeper for a fine goal.

Ashton Richardson shone in midfield for United and Daniel Cook was outstanding for Bridge.

Another success for a Premier Division side against first division hosts came at Northowram, where Holmfield came through 6-4.

The Rams gave their best performance of the season to scare their visitors, who won it with two goals in the last five minutes.

Adam Ingham gave the home side an excellent start up the hill, scoring with an angled drive after two minutes.

Homfield, passing well, drew level after 17 minutes when David Nail headed into his own goal attempting to nod a bouncing cross back to James Bunn.

It stayed at 1-1 up to half time with escapes at both ends.

Stefan Drakes put his side in front three minutes after the restart but Chris Conroy levelled matters after 57 minutes with a fine individual goal. Luke Greenwood made it 2-3 following a frantic scramble but Ingham rose well to power in a header from James Waggett’s free kick.

Lee Cartwright’s rising drive once more put Holmfield ahead after 75 minutes but Ingham’s persistence enabled him to complete his hat-trick and make it 4-4 eight minutes from time.

With extra time looming, substitute Jamie Keegan nipped in to intercept a header back towards the keeper and he then set up Danny Patchett for the clincher.

Greetland kicked started their season with a fine 4-1 win against a young and impressive Wadsworth United side.

The opening 15 minutes were nip and tuck with neither team really creating any clear cut chances. Wadsworth finally broke the deadlock when Brook pounced on an Adam Oldfield defensive slip to sneak the ball past the on-coming Craig Taylor.

Greetland’s response was immediate when Adam Oldfield made up for his mistake with a measured through ball to Mark Heppenstall and the lively striker raced clear and calmly placed the ball past the Wadsworth keeper.

Greetland then started making in-roads in the away side’s defence with Carl Ainley, Andy Hurcombe and Matty Oldfield all going close to scoring.

However, Greetland did take the lead just before half time, Young Winger Tom Wall beat two players before delivering a measured cross which Heppenstall headed in from the edge of the six yard box.

Greetland started the second half where they left off in the first with the majority of the possession. However, Wadsworth always had an attacking threat with Taylor twiced forced into action with a couple of good saves.

Greetland did continue their attacking play with Danny Dorward stretching the away defence and his corner was met in fine style with a Jimmy Highley bullet header from 10 yards out to make it 3-1.

The icing on the cake was the scoring return of Mark Hindle from a serious injury as he smashed home the fourth after being put through by Mickey Conroy’s weighted pass.

Elland United had their substitutes largely to thank after they avenged an earlier league loss to Midgley United by dumping them out of the cup 5-3.

Two weighed in with vital goals while Ricky Thomas shored up the defence as Elland were able to ease away to secure the win.

Midgley started well and missed a couple of early chances while Elland keeper Michael Hickinbotham was also called on to make a good save.

Elland weathered the storm and took the lead when Damian Nicholls squared for Mark Kelsey to fire home.

The lead was doubled five minutes later when Kelsey turned provider for strike partner Carlton Balmer to net.

Elland took their foot off the gas and Midgley took full advantage to reduce the arrears through Jason Cartlidge before Booth produced an excellent individual goal to square things up at the break.

Midgley hit the front for the first time when George Bamford pounced on a loose ball after which Elland switched things around and changed their fortunes.

Jake Bradbury came on and set up Balmer for 3-3 after which fellow sub Richard Richardson turned two defenders before slotting home leaving Bradbury to wrap things up when he cut inside and drilled the ball past the keeper.

Stump Cross won the clash of the big guns, beating Premier Division title rivals Ryburn United 3-1.

Perennial strugglers Salem Reserves had a red letter day with their first win for three years on Saturday - by 2-0 away to Volunteer Arms Reserves in Division Three.

Things didn’t start too well when Matty Stones, who has just become Salem’s third manager of the season, rang to say he was going to be late. That left captain and centre back Richard Boyle to pick a team to play their Savile Park neighbours.

He took the chance to reshuffle the pack and from the first whistle it was clear that Boyle had his team fired up.

Volunteers weren’t allowed to play and in the first half they didn’t have one chance, whilst Salem created several chances but couldn’t find the goal their endeavours deserved.

Stones had now arrived and during the interval brought on younster Martin Neary, who duly opened the scoring at the back post from Mark Atkinson’s cross, nodding past a despairing Carl West.

Salem visibly grew in confidence and Craig Salmons had to make a couple of saves.

In the final 15 minutes the game opened up and in the final minute Atkinson put over another cross from the right which drew a foul on Louis Halstead for a penalty. Halsteade’s mishit effort bobbled straight down the middle as the keeper, who had dived to his left, watched it go gently past him.

Copley United picked up their first Premier Division point of the season with a 4-4 draw against Warley Rangers while Denholme United kept pace with the Division One leaders following a 6-0 win at salem.

Crossleys were another side to hit then half dozen as they beat Halifax Athletic 6-3 in Division Two.

DRAWS - The Skircoat Green Physiotherapy Challenge Cup, third round: Elland United v Sowerby United, Holmfield v Greetland, Shelf United v Halifax Irish Centre, Stump Cross v Calder 76.

Invitation Cup, third round: Calder 76 Res v Midgley United Res, Greetland Res v Volunteer Arms or Spring Hall Celtic, Sowerby Bridge Res v Shelf United Res, Sowerby United Res v Ryburn United Res.

Matches on Saturday, November 24 (1.45).