Carney’s double hat-trick the highlight of fine win

Carrington stole a giant march on rivals Hollins Holme in the race for the Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Premier Division title.

Monday, 30th March 2015, 12:56 pm
Sunday Football - Lee Mount (yellow and blue) v Carrington. Paul Fiander for Lee Mount and Liam Brook for Carrington

After netting 14 times the previous week, Carrington hit the goal trail again to open up a three point gap over Joel Booth’s side who went down 3-1 at Waiters Arms.

That means Carrington are firmly in the box seat with six games to play - twice as many as Holme.

Carrington beat Lee Mount 9-2 at Shroggs Park in what, for an hour, was a good contest.

Sign up to our daily Halifax Courier Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Both sides traded blows early on but it was the visitors who took the lead when Matty Jones’ well struck volley from the edge of the box found the net via the post and keeper.

Mount worked themselves into some good positions but were wasteful with the final ball and went further behind when Damian Randall went on a brilliant run from deep inside his own half and laid it off for Jay Carney to slide the ball home.

The home side got back into it shortly after the break when Brad Brocklehurst scored with an excellent strike from distance.

Moments later, Callum Meade snuck in to equalise and it was game on.

Mount had their tails up and went looking for the win but it was Carrington who regained the lead when Jordan Coduri, who had been quiet for an hour, turned his marker on halfway and raced clear to score.

Carrington moved up through the gears and more good play from Coduri teed up Carney for his second.

Leon Hurles-Brook played a couple of one-twos before burying the ball past the stranded keeper and four late goals from Carney sealed his double hat-trick.

Waiters Arms secured a much needed 3-1 victory over Holme to lift them to fifth in a game well refereed by Wayne Cotton.

Neither team imposed themselves in the wet and windy conditions but Hollins did go ahead from a corner when Jordan Dean used his height to flick the ball on and Ryan Stansfield volleyed home to give them the advantage at the break.

After some stern words, Waiters came out fired up for the second half and attacked down the slope and were soon level when Marco Romano set Lee Wood racing clear to finish smartly past Chris Garbutt. Wood soon made it 2-1 after a smart interchange with James Grimble on the Waiters left put him clear to finish well again.

The pressure was all Waiters with Billy Grogan hitting a post and centre half Jonny Farrell hitting the bar from distance, but they didn’t make the game safe until the last five minutes when Wood flicked on a long Dean Park throw in and Fenton ghosted in at the back post to flick neatly past the keeper.

Ryburn United moved to within a point of the Division one title with a comprehensive 7-2 victory over already relegated Rastrick.

The weather conditions made for an interesting contest, but it was United who opened the scoring inside five minutes as Sean Ling played an incisive through ball into the path of Bub Cockroft, who drew the keeper before slotting into the bottom corner.

United dominated the early possession but struggled to add to their lead. Cockroft found himself in space inside the area before sliding the ball into the path of Ted Fraine, who somehow fired over from two yards with the goal gaping.

However, Fraine was not to be denied moments later as he rounded the goalkeeper before firing into the far corner.

United continued to dominate proceedings and soon made it three. Cockroft skipped past the fullback before again squaring to Fraine, who ensured he kept his shot low to beat the keeper from six yards.

Rastrick showed some endeavour and were rewarded with a goal of their own midway through the half following a fine run and shot.

This only served to spark United back into life, as Cockroft doubled his tally, blasting a fine right footed shot past the goalkeeper.

A fifth goal soon followed as Cockroft again caused havoc as his cross was diverted into his own net by a Rastrick defender.

The game was ended as a contest before the break as Pat Thomas scored his first goal for the club with a fine shot from the edge of the area into the corner.

Rastrick pulled a goal back early in the second half after the ball had rebounded off the crossbar, but it was United who completed the scoring. Bub Cockroft dribbled into the area before finding his brother Josh Cockroft, who made no mistake with a firm finish.

Halifax Rangers could consider themselves unlucky to lose 2-1 to promotion-seeking Beehive & Crosskeys in a closely contested Division Two contest. The home side had the better of the early exchanges, with Rangers keeper making a magnificent save from a corner, but once Rangers found their feet, they gave as good as they got.

The first half looked like ending goalless, but Beehive edged themselves in front with a neat finish from Simon Gerrard, who sprang the offside five minutes before the break.

In a game of few chances, with both defences on top, there was little Beehive could do to stop Rangers’ equaliser 25 minutes into the second period. Martin Bishop’s free-kick from deep in his own half was helped on by Tommy Metcalfe. But the defensive clearance only dropped invitingly for David Oakes and he volleyed in a superb goal from 30 yards.

It looked as if this would be good enough to earn Rangers a point, but with the clock ticking down, Beehive struck. The ball was played into a crowded Rangers penalty area and when the visitors failed to clear, Beehive sub Tom Kendall lashed home the loose ball with less than three minutes remaining.

Halifax Hammers Reserves battled to a 7-4 success at North Bridge Reserves.

Hammers raced into a three goal lead at half time thanks to Ishtiaq Ali scoring early on, following good work from Aslam Gulab, before Zaheer Mughal set up Awais Ashfaq with Ishtiaq Ali netting his second.

North Bridge came out for the second half with all guns blazing and scored two quick goals to make it 3-2.

Hammers skipper Wajid Nawaz scored after good work by Usman Ali to makit 2-4 then scored again after clever play in the middle by Kashif Akmal and Zumarad Ajab.

North Bridge kept playing good football and scored another two quick goals to leave the game in the balance.,

However, they left gaps at the back and were caught on the counter with Kashif Akmal netting before Wajid went through one-on-one with the keeper and scored with a delightful chip to complete his hat-trick.