Carrington are at it again as they reach final of Eddie Hebblethwaite Sunday Cup

Sunday Football - Carrington v Barge. Jordan Caduri for Carrington and Greg Roper for Barge.
Sunday Football - Carrington v Barge. Jordan Caduri for Carrington and Greg Roper for Barge.

Holders Carrington reached the final of the Eddie Hebblethwaite Sunday Cup after a 7-2 thrashing of Barge FC.

Matthew Bagshaw’s Barge side knew they were odds against securing a cup final date at The Shay having drawn Carrington at their almost impenetrable Trinity Academy home, but gave a good account of themselves.

The Brighouse side, with five wins on the spin to their name entering the tie nudged 2-1 ahead early on and had chances to stretch further away from the home side but couldn’t add to their tally. Carrington are an unforgiving side and showed why their last defeat in local competitions on their own patch was in August 2014; they eventually ran out 7-2 winners as their trademark passing game proved reliably effective.

Dan Mullaney’s side will now face the winners of the second last four match between Premier Division leaders Waiters Arms and Halifax Hammers in the showpiece at the home of FC Halifax Town.

In the Premier Division, Halifax Hammers kept up the pressure on leaders Waiters Arms with a 9-3 win over Feathers, while Hollins Holme won 4-1 at Mount Tabor.

Lee Mount are now one win away from overtaking leaders Halifax Hammers Reserves in Division One after a 10-0 win over Halifax Rangers.

The game was one way from the beginning with Rangers only managing one shot on goal.

After their previous defeat to 10-man Beehive, Mount needed to make a statement with this result regardless of who the opponents were and welcomed the prolific Callum Meade back into the fold, coming off the bench after 40 minutes to net four times.

Meade replaced the veteran Shane Kelly who came out of retirement last weekend to score with a sublime free kick before suffering a ruptured hamstring and retiring himself again.

Jordan Ryder was ever present with two, while Jordan Heath, Rohan Ford and Brad Brocklehurst got the other goals with Brocklehurst’s being the pick of the ten with a forty yard screamer in off post.

First Division Old Pond endured an injury nightmare in losing out to Ryburn Valley at Lane Head in a match that saw them reduced to back to back demotions in successive seasons.

There was nothing between the sides in the opening 20 minutes; Dayle Maguire looking lively on the break for Valley, whilst Sean Suttle had Pond’s best effort but fizzed just wayward of Matty Hirst’s goal.

It was Maguire who would take first blood however, as he pounced on a hesitant Pond backline to nip in and head home. Five minutes later it was 2-0 to the visitors via Ady Parkinson’s penalty kick before the same man was fed by Chris Robson and put his side in control with a third.

Just before the half hour mark Pond lost Jamie O’Callaghan to a groin strain and sent on Dan Barnes up front. It took the man more renowned as a goalkeeper less than a minute to make his mark as he pounced quickly onto Suttle’s centre and poked home at the near post. Pond couldn’t maintain the scoreline until half time however, as Maguire broke clear and made it 4-1.

Pond lost a second player in Kristian Ellis at half time paving the way for veteran club legend Richard Howard to make a comeback from the bench, but when Barnes pulled up with a hamstring problem the home side found themselves three goals adrift and down to ten men with no further subs available. The visitors mercilessly fired another four goals home to ensure that they defeated Pond by the same 8-1 scoreline twice in a three week period. Jason Kirby made good saves from Dan Merrick and David Carter, but Maguire collected a hat-trick, Ash Drake got on the scoresheet and full back Josh Dodd who did well exploiting the extra space netted a brace. Pond will now look to patch up a side to face Halifax Rangers in the Invitational Cup next weekend, whilst Valley have snuck into the title race and carry good form into the business end of the campaign.

Elsewhere in Division One, Ryburn United beat King Cross Park 3-1.

In the Ziggy’s Metro Cars Invitational Cup, there were wins for King Cross Park over Bradshaw 11-2, North Bridge over Halifax Hammers Reserves 6-0 and Halifax Amateurs over Weavers 4-1.