Carrington back to winning ways

Tommy Wright and Robbie Graham during the game between Carrington FC and FC Barge
Tommy Wright and Robbie Graham during the game between Carrington FC and FC Barge

Carrington FC overcame their West Riding Sunday Cup disappointment to beat FC Barge 7-2 in their Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League Premier Division clash at Beechwood Park.

The home side started strongly and Jay Carney slid the ball home early on to give them the lead.

Damien Randall then added a second before Barge pegged them back, Alex Hallam finding the net.

Randall scored again soon after, restoring the two goal cushion with a thumping drive from the edge of the box.

Carrington squandered a series of chances to extend their lead and paid for it when Matty Roy got a second for Barge.

That left the game in the balance at the break but Carney scored his second just after the break and Carrington dominated from then on.

Randall grabbed his hat-trick with another great strike before he turned provider, squaring the ball for Matty Jones to score.

Carney then completed the scoring, sealing his own hat-trick in the process.

In the bottom of the table clash Feathers and Mount Tabor battled against the elements to share the points from a 0-0 draw.

A very strong wind influenced where the game was played, however despite that the first half was very even with Tabor hitting the woodwork a couple of times and Feathers missing a couple of one on one situation.

Matthew Seekins and Johnie Caufield were inspirational throughout for the Feathers who dominated the second half, especially after Tabor were reduced to 10 men.

Feathers went close a number of times with Robbie Cochrane thinking he had won the game in the last five minutes only for the referee to disallow the goal for offside.

Leaders FC Bowling Green maintained their position with a 2-1 victory over Halifax Hammers, Gary Ash and Adam Sharp grabbing the goals, while Elland Sports occupy third spot following a comfortable 3-0 win over Lee Mount.

Dean Lawrence opened the scoring, Matty Parker added the second with a header and Dene Heppenstall wrapped things up with a free kick.

The other game saw FC Shoulder Northowram run out 6-2 winners at Engineers.

Old Pond recovered from some difficult cup ties to continue their impressive Division One form with a 10-1 success over Royd Club.

The home side burst out of the blocks with Steven Ashford heading home a Paul Taylor corner and Chris Marsh delivering to allow Taylor to slot home in the first 10 minutes.

Despite being under the cosh, Royd grabbed a goal back through the lively Ben Fairburn but Pond reasserted their dominance to effectively secure the points before the interval.

Joe Shaw, making a welcome return from injury, was excellent in midfield alongside the equally impressive Andy Kelly, and his parried shot was tucked away by Taylor for a third.

Michael Barlow finished after a rampage down the right before Ashford made it five. Shaw added a sixth after a neat one two with Taylor.

The second half was played at a more pedestrian pace, but Wayne Allerts introduction revitalised the encounter.

The big front man smashed home from the edge of the box, headed home a Ben Sands cross and beat the ‘keeper one on one in a tremendous cameo off the bench.

Player-manager Richard Dawson even pulled rank to afford himself penalty duties as the Hove Edge side wrapped up an emphatic victory.

Hollins Holme followed up their 15-2 success over Stallions with an equally emphatic 8-2 success at Ryburn United.

Joe Western was relieved of goalkeeping duties with the gloves being handed to Chris Garbutt. Rob Stansfield was absent so Andrew Butterworth slotted into centre half alongside Joe Gibson and new signing Spencer Harris joined James Chadwick in the middle of the park.

After impressive performances last week, Matt Thompson and Ryan Stansfield kept their places at full back. Joe Fielding and Harry West were the wide men with the solid partnership of George Bamford and Ben Clayton leading the line.

Hollins boss Joel Booth’s gamble to replace goalkeepers looked to have been a big mistake when a soft shot along the ground from Powell beat Garbutt after just 30 seconds.

From the restart, Ben Clayton picked up a Spencer Harris through ball and ran 30 yards before slotting neatly past the keeper to equalise. Captain Joe Gibson then gave Hollins the lead a shot from James Chadwick was parried by the ‘keeper and hit Gibson on his shoulder and crossed the line.

A powerful strike from Butterworth was well saved but Clayton was on hand to head home from the rebound before a nice cross into the box saw Chadwick finish well from a tight angle.

Hollins’ goalkeeping problems continued straight from kick off when Garbutt palmed the ball to the feet of Ryburn’s Powell who tapped in to make it 4-2.

West took the pressure of Garbutt just before the break when a through ball from Bamford was picked up well by West who ran 20 yards before side footing from the edge of the area.

Ryburn rarely troubled the ‘keeper after the break and Chadwick found Bamford who fired in before Hollins made it seven shortly after when a Fielding corner found the head of Gibson for his second.

The final goal came when a strong shot from Clayton was well-saved and Bamford was on hand to force home the rebound.

Halifax Rangers looked set to record a second straight victory in Division Two after taking an early two-goal lead.

However, King Cross pegged them back and ran away with it after the interval to win 6-3.

Greg Austin set up co-striker Sean Byrne for Rangers’ first, a lovely curling shot into the roof of the net, and Austin added a second soon after. Rangers looked well in control, but when they failed to deal with a corner, former Rangers player Mark Dennis sidefooted home from just inside the box before a deflected free-kick saw the visitors level before the break.

Two minutes after the interval, King Cross went 3-2 up, but Rangers stuck at it and levelled through Austin 20 minutes from time, bundling the ball home following Mark Owens’ long throw.

Rangers’ joy was short-lived, however, as King Cross raced down the other end to restore their lead, and with Rangers suddenly all at sea, Dennis curled in his second, and a headed goal near time completed the scoring.

A Martin Cannon penalty five minutes from the end of extra time saw Queens Head book their place in the second round of the Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA Sunday Cup following a tense encounter with Division Two side King Cross Park.

Park belied their lower status to open up a two goal lead after Queens had been guilty of wasting chances.

The second half saw Tom Atkinson pull a goal back before Cannon levelled.

The game flowed from end to end and Queens might have been forgiven for thinking they had won it when Atkinson added his second.

However, Park squared things up with 10 minutes of normal time left.

A shoot-out looked the likely outcome until a handball in the box allowed Cannon to net the winner from the spot.