Carrington break new ground in Sunday Cup

Carrington saw off fellow Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League side Halifax Hammers 6-2 to reach the quarter-finals of the West Riding Sunday Cup for the first time.

Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 11:50 am
Updated Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 11:51 am
Matty Jones for Carrington and Ahsan Farooq for Hammers in a previous meeting between the sides.

“It was a very good result for us,” said Carrington boss Dan Mullaney. “They’re a good side and they’re always close games between us.

“It was our best performance of the season and the result was a fair reflection of the game.”

A brace from Matty Jones, both from just outside the area, put Carrington 2-0 up before Hammers pulled one back just before the break.

Jordan Coduri’s penalty restored Carrington’s two-goal cushion just after half-time, before goals from Antony Brown and Jasim Salih put the result beyond doubt.

Hammers pulled one back before Connah Judson completed the scoring late on.

Carrington have now gone further than ever before in the competition.

“We always seem to get a difficult draw in that competition and get a really good side,” Mullaney said..

“It’s the most prestigious cup to win and it’s the only one we haven’t won so it’d be nice to do that, and we’ll give it a good go.”

Elsewhere in the West Riding Sunday Cup, Beehive and Crosskeys lost 7-0 at home to West Bowling.

In the Premier Division Matthew Bagshaw’s Barge FC side picked up three points in a close encounter with Mount Tabor at Natty Lane.

The manager was delighted with his side’s attacking play and defensive stability

crediting keeper Peter Jennings with pulling off some good saves and marshalling the defence in front of him well. Luke Johnson was also praised for a man of the match showing in central midfield.

Jamie Cartledge opened the scoring for the visitors as he rammed home a Scott

Halstead cross and whilst Tabor had some strong periods in the game themselves the Brighouse side felt they had an air of control despite losing Jordan Parnell to a first half injury.

The second Barge goal saw Cartledge turn provider, as he fed David Woffenden to slot home what proved to be the winning goal. Tabor struck back from a free kick to create a nervy last five, but it was Barge who held on for an important win that lifted them above Tabor in incredibly tight league standings, where two points separates all bar the top and bottom sides in the division.

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Feathers beat Queens Head 5-2.

In Division One, Lee Mount started their 2017 with a lacklustre performance in their 3-3 draw at Ryburn United.

Lee Mount’s Jordan Ryder and Callum Meade both wasted chances before Ryburn took the lead after a mistake from Liam Normanton after he rushed out of goal to clear the ball only to side foot it straight to Nathaniel Powell who made no mistake from 40 yards lobbing the unfortunate keeper.

Ryburn then took another step to shocking the potential title contenders to take a 2-0 lead through Macauley Peacock, who broke through the Lee Mount defence to fire across the keeper. Mount finally pulled one back through Meade, who scored from the edge of the box with a shot keeper Jake Brown should have saved easily.

The second half began in the same manner with Mount dominating possession and they had a great chance again, which was fluffed by Ryder.

Ryburn then went 3-1 in front with another keeping blunder when another relatively easy shot from Powell was palmed into the goal rather than out for a corner by Normanton.

Mount started to press hard knowing a loss would seriously dent their title chances.

They pulled another back to make it 3-2 with an outstanding one touch volley into the top corner from Mounts’ man of the match Nick Caufield.

Mount then completed the comeback with time running out after a poor Ryburn clearance fell to the always outstanding Peter Waller who fired a low shot off target, but which was diverted in by Gareth Gaukroger.

Elsewhere in Division One, Ryburn Valley won a 5-4 thriller at King Cross Park.

The Second Division title may be settled in The Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League, with Fountain Head named champions, but there was no lack of commitment between North Bridge and Bradshaw at Lane Head in the race for promotion spots.

Bradshaw were forced to field just ten men throughout the encounter and subsequently gave a fine account of themselves against Andy Blakey’s Brighouse based side.

Ian King had the first opportunity of the match for the hard working visitors, but it

was the home side who were to take the lead. Niall Cuttle fed the ball through and

Mike Kirwan did the rest after a spillage from the Bradshaw keeper.

Kirwan then had opportunity to grab a second but was thwarted by the onrushing

keeper, before at the other end both Steve Cochrane and Andy Hemblys crossed for King who was taking up good positions but unable to beat Blakey in the Bridge net.

There were big shouts for both sides leading up to the interval; Bradshaw’s Tom

Boyle appealing for a penalty after a sliding challenge in the penalty area and Reese Fox seeing an effort disallowed by the referee for Bridge.

The leveller did come for Bradshaw right on half time however, Boyle’s shot from

range proved too hot to handle for Blakey and Luke Butterworth snaffled up then

rebound for a deserved leveller.

The second half continued to see the two defences both impressively shutting out the opposition, before the introduction of Slater Barnes down the right flank seemed to give Bridge the impetus for a period of domination. The wide man was involved as Andy Day was offered up a huge chance in front of goal, but failed to hit the target when well placed.

With James Thorpe standing out in particular, the Bradshaw defence looked solid and on this foundation took the lead for the first time at the other end. Glenn Ackroyd delivered into the box and King half volleyed home under the keeper.

There were further chances at both ends before Bridge tied the match up again. Boyle saw an effort well gathered by Blakey, whilst Kirwan couldn’t loft his lobbed attempt in the right direction when closing in on the Bradshaw goal.

The leveller came from the man who so often comes up with the spectacular finish; Tom Hoodlas laid the ball off to Andy Warnes and he rocketed home an unstoppable effort from some way out.

There were half chances for Boyle and Bridge’s Sam Davidson late on but both sides tired and the point apiece on offer looked a fair reflection of a well contested match.

Also in Division Two, leaders Fountain Head lost 2-1 at home to Weavers and Triangle won 6-5 at Halifax rangers Reserves.