Carrington brush aside holders to reach last four

Halifax Rangers  v King Cross Park.Aiden Hill and Tim Melhuish
Halifax Rangers v King Cross Park.Aiden Hill and Tim Melhuish

Carrington progressed to the semi-finals of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup with a 6-1 victory over holders King Cross Sports.

A super ball from Scott Eastwood set Jay Carney away down the left and he squared for Jordan Coduri to open the scoring.

The second came shortly after, Matty Horsfall sliding the ball through for Coduri and his chipped finish found the net.

There was no further scoring before the break but both sides were reduced to 10 men after an off the ball scuffle.

King Cross got themselves back into it early in the second half, Luke Butterworth taking his chance well.

Carrington restored their two goal cushion, a good passing move opened up space for Mark Brown down the right and his excellent cross was headed home by Coduri for his hat-trick.

Robbie Graham then added a fourth, curling one home from the edge of the box.

A good lay-off from Carney set up Graham to drill home his second and Carney scored the final goal of the game, rolling the ball into an empty net after good work from Coduri.

Elland Sports heaped further misery on relegation-threatened Feathers with a 5-2 success in the Premier Division.

Feathers went 1-0 up after a long ball forward was controlled by their striker who turned Lee Goodall and rifled a shot into the bottom corner of Michael Higginbotham’s net.

Elland equalised through good play down the right by Vaughan Boon. He played into Carlton Balmer who back heeled to Dene Heppenstall and he rounded two defenders before lifting it over the outstanding Feathers ‘keeper Jordan Manning.

Feathers rode their luck but then lost a player through injury when he landed awkwardly on his knee following a headed challenge with Pete Southwell. As they had no subs Feathers played the rest of the game with 10 men.

Elland went ahead through Carlton Balmer in the second half after which good play down left from Gareth Sherwood and Pete Southwell set up Balmer who laid the ball off for Paul Friend to score with a shot across goal.

Feathers pulled a goal back through Jonny Caulfield to make it 3-2 after a mix up between James Parkinson and Higginbotham.

Elland replied through Boon’s first goal of the season before Balmer added the fifth in a game well refereed by Steve Hoyle.

FC Bowling Green slipped up after they were held to a 2-2 draw by a battling Waiters Arms side who had player-boss Adam Fenton playing as stand in ‘keeper

A draw was deemed a fair result on a bobbly pitch which made passing football difficult.

Waiters had the better of things in the first half and took the lead after 15 minutes when Billy Grogan pounced on a defensive mistake.

Green were still second best but went into the break on terms when Adam Sharp headed home from a corner.

Chances were few and far between in the second half but it was Waiters who re-established the lead with 20 minutes to go when Grogan’s flicked header found Marco Romano who beat two defenders before slotting home.

Green responded and after Gary Ash twice and Sharp had gone close, Ryan Brook launched a free kick which Sharp headed in.

David Oakes netted a hat-trick as Greetland Goldstars secured a 3-1 success over lowly Stallions in Division One.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for the visitors who wasted a number of first half chances with Stalions making the breakthrough from a free-kick.

It all changed after the break when Oakes grabbed his first before putting his side ahead with a 30-yard screamer.

The points were finally wrappped up with Oakes netting the third from the penalty spot.

Queens Head ran out comfortable 3-1 winners over Rastrick Bowling Club.

Queens had most of the play and took the lead when Luke Eastwood fed the ball in to Martin Cannon. He had his back to goal but swivelled and hammered a superb shot into the bottom corner.

The second half followed a similar pattern with Luke Eastwood doubling his side’s lead.

Rastrick pulled a goal back through their ‘keeper, who had swapped positions with an outfield player, before Jordan Jabor made the points safe for Queens.

Hollins Holme had few problems in seeing off home side Triangle by 7-0.

Tom Booth netted a hat-trick with Spencer Harris bagging a brace. Rob Stansfield and an own goal made up the rest.

North Bridge remain on course for promotion from Division Two following their 6-2 success at Halifax Hammers Reserves.

Hammers pressured well early on before Bridge took the lead with a goal from Tom Hoodlass.

They quickly doubled their advantage when early substitute Andy Day made an instant impression, striking the ball home from 25 yards.

Brilliant team play saw Bridge get a third when a low cross was converted in by a home defender. A goalline clearance late in the first half nearly saw Bridge go into the break without conceding but multiple attempts from Hammers eventually saw them pull a goal back.

Hammers came out fighting in the second half and added a second with a neat lob over the ‘keeper.

Bridge went up a gear and found the net when Wayne Crossley hit an incredible 35 yard free kick into the top corner. Another own goal saw the game pretty much over but substitute Alex Conwell found himself himself with the ball and an open net after a Hammers defensive mix-up for his first of the season.

King Cross Park cemented sixth place with an emphatic 9-2 victory over Halifax Rangers.

Rangers took an early lead, capitalising on poor defending to slot past ‘keeper Jordan Radcliffe. Full Back Gareth Hunter, at fault for the first goal, turned provider soon after, playing in Si Ward to level. Hunter was on hand again soon after to set up Chris Leigh for a cool finish.

Si Ward doubled his tally from the spot on 40 minutes after Lee Barry had been felled in the area, leaving the score 3-1 at half-time.

Park came out strongly in the second half and their high pressing and determination led to Chris Leigh bagging his second soon after the restart. Centre Back Ben Coates converted from a corner for Park, before Rangers hit back with an excellent counter-attacking goal.

Park turned on the style late on to finish the game off. Chris Heptinstall showed excellent skill to beat two men before putting it on a plate for Leigh’s hat-trick, and his fourth soon followed.

Ward then secured his hat-trick before Matthew Robinson finished off the rout with his first ever goal for the club