Carrington claim points the hard way

Triangle v Royd Club. John Moynes and Jason Hanks.
Triangle v Royd Club. John Moynes and Jason Hanks.

Carrington had to come from two goals down to beat Halifax Hammers 3-2 in an entertaining and hard fought Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League Premier Division contest.

The victory means Dan Mullaney’s side continue their chase of leaders FC Bowling Green who maintained their 11 point lead at the top with a 1-0 win over Shoulder FC Northowram.

Green have just one game remaining while Carrington still have five to fit in before the end of the campaign.

Hammers had the wind at their backs in the first half and took full advantage. After an attempted clearance was charged down, Wajid Nawaz broke onto the loose ball and his shot beat Craig Turnbull in the Carrington goal.

Carrington were struggling to get any meaningful possession and when Wajid Nawaz scored a second before half-time it was the least the home side deserved although Damian Randall was unlucky to see a free-kick come back off the post.

The next goal was always going to be crucial and with the wind now in their favour Carrington started to pour forward. Some good defending kept them at bay for a while but a great touch from Jay Carney gave Randall his first clear sight of goal and he made no mistake.

Hammers were now being put under a lot of pressure and it wasn’t long before the scores were level, Jordan Coduri finishing off a good move.

At that point it seemed like only a matter of time before Carrington would score another but Hammers dug in and started to look a threat again on the counter attack.

The game could have gone either way but the pressure from Carrington finally told, Coduri drilling home the winner two minutes from time.

Green’s encounter with Shoulder was a scrappy affair with the conditions making good football difficult.

The home side had the better of the early chances and Tom Holroyde and Andrew Sutcliffe thought they had scored only for the referee to decide that the ball did not cross the line on both occasions.

Jonny Collins also missed a decent chance before Oli Smith struck for the only goal, bending the ball into the top corner from 25 yards.

The second half saw little in the way of chances although James Hurtley almost levelled but his shot grazed the top of the crossbar,

Lee Mount took the spoils in another game affected by the strong wind, beating FC Barge 4-3.

Mount had no goalkeeper due to Shaun Baxter pulling out through illness so Gareth Gaukroger stepped in at the last minute, and it was a move that paid off.

Mount played against the wind in the first half and were limited for chances and under a barrage of pressure from Barge with no end product. With Ryan Parker again calling the shots in Mount’s defence it was a stalemate at half time.

The second half started with the wind behind Mount and the breakthrough came from a goal kick from Gaukroger which sailed over the back four for the returning Callum Meade to nip through and put his side ahead.

Mount made it two with another kick From Gaukroger and Jack Normanton brought the ball down neatly feeding a through ball for Meade to lob the onrushing ‘keeper.

A controversial penalty saw Mount’s Dan Parker sent off for dissent and the spot kick was put away by Tom Wright for the hosts.

Alex Hallam made it 2-2 with a fine free kick which took a deflection and could only be tipped onto the post and into the net.

Five minutes later Mount were made to pay again with a second penalty after Brad Brocklehurst took Matty Roy out but Gaukroger saved the day with an outstanding save to deny Tom Wright.

Mount’s third came from a goal kick which was flicked on by Mark Womersley for Meade to nip past Glenn Hall to complete his hat trick.

Jordan Pettifor was in the thick of it for Mount with some outstanding tackles with Aiden Sully mopping up the spoils at the back

They went 4-2 up with a fine finish from six yards from Womersley after he took on three players and smashed the ball into the top corner.

Barge then scored their third and final goal from a mix up in the Mount defence, Hallam slotting home into the bottom corner.

Barge made one last push for an equaliser but again Gaukroger made a fine save at his near post.

Mount Tabor signed off their top flight status with a hard fought 3-1 win against King Cross.

Having gone a goal behind after 15 minutes Tabor came out well after the break and were soon on level terms with a goal from Matthew Helliwell.

Luke Busfield then out Tabor 2-1 up on the hour but almost missed the simplest of tap in’s from just four yards by opting to hammer the ball home rather than simply slotting it into the empty net.

Five minutes later Helliwell was on the end of things again to net his second of the game and seal the win.

Oddfellows boss Mark Rice declared himself delighted with the way the Division One season has panned out after his side finished their fixtures with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Ryburn United.

Oddfellows sit on top of the table but could still be pipped for the title by Hollins Holme who are seven points behind with three games to play.

Both Oddfellows and Ryburn struggled in the strong breeze and it was the enthusiastic visitors who went a goal to the good in the first half.

Chris Swaine pulled one back before half-time after which Oddfellows looked the better side.

Ryburn were happy to bomb on in search of a goal but Oddfellows were able to pick them off and Swaine struck the winner for his 39th goal of the season.

Triangle and Royd club played out a good game on Savile Park with Royd running out 2-1 winners.

The game started brightly for Royd with Moynes, Lee and Yates linking up well to create early chances.

With Brad and Paul Fairburn working hard to win any loose balls, Royd earned a corner and centre half Adrian Higgins’ bullet header made it 1-0.

The wind wasn’t helping matters and a ball over top found Billington in space and he slotted past Rick Davison in the Royd goal.

Royd also started the second half well with Moynes, Ben Fairburn and Simon Cavenagh missing chances before, with 10 minutes remaining, the ball was won in the middle and Yates lobbed the Triangle ‘keeper from 35 yards.

Queens Head ran out deserved 4-2 winners over Old Pond.

Luke Eastwood set them on the way to three points with Scott Fieldhouse doubling the advantage.

Pond made a game of it and pulled two goals back to leave things all square at the break.

Queens, who have a League Cup final date with King Cross Park on the horizon, maintained their focus and Martin Cannon restored their lead before Eastwood made sure of the victory with five minutes to go.

Top Club rounded off their Division Two campaign in style with a 3-1 win at Hebden Bridge.

The victory meant that the Brighouse-based side finished top of the pile having lost just twice all season.