Carrington edge closer to title as Green slip up

editorial image

Carrington were made to work hard to secure a 2-0 win away to Feathers as they maintained their push towards the Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League Premier Division title.

Carrington are now just five points behind leaders FC Bowling Green with three games in hand.

Green slipped up as they completed their fixtures with a 1-0 defeat by FC Barge.

Carrington had the wind advantage in the first half but struggled to break down a well organised unit and when they were reduced to 10 men just before the break it seemed an upset could be on the cards.

However, despite having the conditions and the extra man in their favour after the interval, the home side continued to sit back and that lack of threat allowed Carrington to apply some pressure

Feathers’ defence stayed resolute for a while but were almost undone when Dick Hartley got on the end of a cross from the left but his effort crashed back off the underside of the bar.

Soon after Carrington finally made the breakthrough, Jordan Coduri finishing after good work from Jay Carney.

Carney then added a second and it seemed as if Carrington would run out comfortable winners but Feathers finally started to commit players forward and cause Carrington some problems.

They played some good football and were unlucky to see two efforts hit the woodwork but Carrington managed to hold them off until the final whistle.

A last minute winner was enough for FC Barge to secure the points against Green.

The victory was achieved through a fine display of hard work, having played with 10 men for 80 minutes.

Green, who were completing their fixtures, controlled much of the encounter with a fine passing game which meant that Barge had to work overtime.

However, Barge then lost a player to injury and with no substitutes had to soldier on with a man light.

For all Green’s possession they never managed to test the ‘keeper and it was Barge’s Alex Hallam who had the first real chance only to see his attempted lob fall wide.

When he was called upon Barge ‘keeper Peter Jennings did well with the defence also playing their part in keeping a clean sheet.

The second half followed a similar pattern with Alex Hallam twice unable to find the back of the net.

As the clock ticked down Green conceded a free kick and the ‘keeper was only able to parry Roy’s shot and Tom Wright was on hand to tap home.

Hussain Farooq’s save from the final kick of the match secured Halifax Hammers’ 3-2 win over Elland Sports.

That came immediately after the visitors had the chance to put further daylight between the sides only for Mohammed Ozair to hit the crossbar from the penalty spot after he had been brought down.

Elland started brightly and Farooq deniefd them the lead before slick passing donw the left by Hammers saw Jasim Saleh lay the ball off for Ozair to score from close range.

Hammers doubled their advantage through Ozair before Ahsan Farooq was unlucky when his shot hit the post.

Elland then won a free kick deep in the Hammers half and Curtis Cochrane pulled one back at the far post.

Minutes later a good ball by Cochrane from the right fell nicely for Carlton Balmer to turn his man and rap home the equaliser.

Both teams had chances to score after the break before hammers netted the important goal with 20 minutes remaining, Ahsan Farooq and Waleed Raja combining to set up Atif Hussain from close range.

Hollins Holme need just one point from their final match against Ryburn United next Sunday to clinch the Division One crown.

Holme ran out 7-0 winners in the derby clash at Royd Club to put them just a point behind leaders Oddfellows.

Joel Booth’s side have a superior goal difference so will go into the game knowing they have to avoid defeat.

Ryburn United ran out convincing 5-2 winners in their mid-table clash with Bradshaw.

Bradshaw started the better and went 1-0 up when Brandon Field beat the ‘keeper to a through ball and tapped home.

Bradshaw were soon 2-0 to the good with Field on target once more.

Ryburn battled back and were level following some weak defending then took the lead on the stroke of half time.

The second half saw Ryburn dominate and they were rewarded with a fine strike to make the game safe before a wind assisted clearance sailed

over ‘keeper Wayne Camplin’s head to complete the scoring.