Carrington a rare success story

Carrington and Hens Face are the only Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League sides left standing after Sunday’s second round of the West Riding County FA competitions.

Monday, 3rd November 2014, 1:45 pm
Ovenden Pheonix v Brown Cow. Rory Thickett.

Champions Carrington were the only winners out of 11 teams from the league in either the Sunday Cup of Trophy competitions.

They earned a home date with either Cuedos Rangers Reserves or Sandy Lane on December 7 after a comfortable 5-1 home win over Leeds side Commercial.

Hens Face, struggling in the middle section, were handed a walkover by Crossflatts Village and will travel to Ilkley Dynamo next.

Sign up to our daily Halifax Courier Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Carrington took the lead when Jay Carney slid the ball home after a good work from Liam Brook.

Commercial levelled when Mark Brown conceded a needless penalty but Carrington retook the lead when Leon Hurles-Brook found the corner of the net.

Hurles-Brook then turned provider when his corner was headed home by Robbie Graham shortly before the break.

The visitors offered very little of a threat and Carrington extended their lead when Carney struck his second.

Jordan Coduri completed the scoring with a neat finish from just inside the box.

Hens Face will need to do better than Feathers, who bowed out 5-1 at home to Ilkley Dynamo.

Top Club, Ryburn United and Halifax Hammers also bowed out with barely a whimper - to Toller (0-5), Peel Park (2-6) and Birkenshaw (1-8) respectively - but Waiters Arms took hosts Yeadon Veterans to extra time before losing 7-4.

All five Halifax League sides bowed out of the Trophy, although the games involving Ma Bakers and Halifax Rangers went to extra time.

Ma Bakers eventually lost 7-3 at home to New Farley and Halifax Rangers went down 4-2 to Queen.

North Bridge lost 3-2 away to Gallopers while their were painful exits for Beehive and Cross Keys, beaten 10-1 at Lyceum, and Halifax Hammers Reserves, who lost 7-0 at home to Bramham.

Bramham have only lost two games in 2014 and they gave Hammers ‘keeper Bilal Sheraz a busy time.

Matt Lombard opened the scoring and doubled the lead after Hammers had lost Kamran Hussain, who had been marshalling the defence, with a serious-looking knee injury.

Hammers attacked at the start of the second half and Owais Khan went on a great run, beating three men before his effort was cleared off the line.

Lombard intercepted a Hammers pass to complete his hat-trick and the visitors ran away with it after that with further goals from Kyle Macdonald (two), Lombard and Reece Parker.

Old Pond produced the shock of the day in the league when they beat one of the perennial title favourites, Bowling Green, for their first ever Premier Division victory.

They won 3-2 away in their eighth league outing of the season to climb to third from bottom.

Joe Swallow fired Bowling Green ahead but Pond were acquitting themselves well and deservedly equalised mid-way through the first half.

Trickery out wide from Jamie Marshall created the space that allowed Stephen Ashford to deliver a fine ball and Billy Dick produced a good finish inside the six yard box.

The Hove Edge side took the lead from a set piece. A Paul Taylor corner was met at the back post by a sliding Damian Gomersall.

Paul Taylor then produced some fine play and fed Glen Hall, who found Ellis Dick to net his now customary goal after coming off the bench.

The two-goal cushion proved vital as Bowling Green got one back near the end and had another effort scrambled off the line.

Leading pair Hollins Holme and Lee Mount won the other two games in the section.

Hollins scored four times in the last 15 minutes to win 7-3 away to Elland Sports.

Elland took an early lead after Andy Butterworth had lost his footing 20 yards out.

Jamie Gwilliam took on three opponents before curling the ball into the top corner for the equaliser on 10 minutes.

Elland regained the lead when the ball went through the hands of Hollins ‘keeper Chris Garbutt and the Elland forward couldn’t miss from six yards.

The visitors made it 2-2 at the start of the second half when a Greg Spink through ball found Rob Day, who shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Michael Midwood beat three defenders and fired into the top corner for 3-2 but Day scored his second on the hour.

Elland went in front again after Garbutt had flapped at a cross but the ‘keeper atoned when his long kick found Steve Senior, who ran from the left flank and slotted past the keeper.

Hollins went in front for the first time on 80 minutes when George Bamford squared for Day to complete his hat trick.

Day bagged his fourth after a neat one-two with James Chadwick and Bamford lobbed the keeper from the touch line with two minutes left.

Mount Tabor went top of Division One but many would have expected them to win more convincingly than by 3-2 at home to bottom side Queens Head.

Ryburn Valley climbed to third with a 6-0 home win over Rastrick BC while Bradshaw registered a fourth win in six league outings this season with a 5-3 success away to Triangle

Brown Cow marched into a seven-point lead at the top of Division Two with an 8-1 win away to a spirited Ovenden Phoenix side.

The table-toppers started very strongly and Kyle Tyers gave them a early lead.

Another five goals followed in the opening 30 minutes with Scott Carney and Tyers scoring hat-tricks.

Brothers Jack and Tom Robinson scored Cow’s goals in the second half. Substitute Jack netted following a delightful cross from man of the match Rory Thickett and Tom scored with a fine chip.

Phoenix remained lively throughout and scored a consolation goal late on.

Old Pond Reserves also won 8-1, away to Plummet Line, to go second while King cross Park beat St Columbas 3-0 and West Central won 5-2 away to North Bridge Reserves.