Coduri and Carney combine to boost Carrington’s hopes

Sunday Football - Beehive and Cross Keys v Ma Bakers. Alex O'Keefe for Beehive and Anthony McManamen for Ma Bakers.
Sunday Football - Beehive and Cross Keys v Ma Bakers. Alex O'Keefe for Beehive and Anthony McManamen for Ma Bakers.

A strong first half performance from Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Premier Division title favourites Carrington helped them to a 9-3 win at home to Waiters Arms.

The result means that Carrington are now tucked in one point behind leaders Lee Mount with four games in hand

It was the visitors who took the lead early on with a well taken goal from Billy Grogan.

Carrington responded immediately, Jordan Coduri beating the keeper to the ball and sliding the ball into the empty net.

They took the lead with a neat effort from Leon Hurles-Brook and extended it further when Jay Carney finished off a good move.

Damian Randall was the next to score, cutting in from the left and drilling the ball into the far corner.

Carney then grabbed his second before Coduri scored twice more to seal a first half hat-trick and make the score line 7-1 at the break.

Waiters started the second half well and pulled one back with a spectacular 30 yard volley from Grogan.

Lee Wood deservedly scored another for Waiters to reduce the deficit further.

A neat on-two with Coduri set up Carney for his hat-trick goal and Coduri then bagged his fourth to complete the scoring.

Bottom club Oddfellows picked up their first three points of the season at the 13th time of asking following a 3-2 success over second bottom Feathers.

The two clubs are pretty much cut adrift but the result was met with delight from the Oddfellows players.

Oddfellows took the lead after just two minutes when a quick one-two enabled Jack Rice to slot home into the bottom corner.

Feathers then put pressure on the home side and levelled things up before the break.

The visitors went ahead early in the second half with Oddfellows guilty of ball watching. However, Marty Crouch equalised with a shot into the top corner from just inside the 18 yard box leaving Chris Summerscales to get the party started when he picked the ball up 30 yards out and fired in the winner.

Mount Tabor and Ryburn United will be playing top flight football next season.

However, the destination of the Division One title is still in the balnace with Ryburn firm favourites to clinch top spot.

Leaders Tabor beat 10 man Ryburn Valley 2-1 but only have one game left, against Royd Club in two weeks time.

Ryburn demolished Bradshaw 9-0 and are four points behind but with four games in hand.

It will be a quick return for Tabor who were relegated at the end of last season.

“We are chuffed to bits to be going up at the first time of asking,” said boss Andy Parker. “Now we must hope Ryburn slip up, but to be honest I cannot see that happening as they are the best team in the division and deserve to be champions.

Andrew ‘Boyce’ Butterworth put Tabor ahead despite claims from Valley that he was offside. The same player doubled the advantage by tapping in from close range.

The home side threatened to run riot with the Valley ‘keeper forced into a number of fine saves.

The hosts adventurous streak was almost their undoing as Valley pulled a goal back and Tabor had to see out a nervy last 10 minutes before securing the win.

Ryburn United had a few players missing but still proved too strong for Bradshaw - who were also under-strength.

Lewis Cockroft proved his goalscoring credentials yet again with six while Daniel Swales weighed in with a couple.

The scoring was completed by Bogus Dziel.

Brown Cow FC Halifax sealed promotion to Division One with a 1-0 win over Weavers.

Injury-hit Cow were made to fight for the three points against a very spirited Weavers side.

The game flowed from end to end with Cow enjoying the better of the exchanges.

Matthew Bodkin finally broke the stalemate late in the game when he picked up a fine ball and although he still had plenty to do the front man burst through the defence to coolly slide the ball into the bottom corner.

Stand in ‘keeper Tom Robinson then went on to deny Weavers and claim a clean sheet.

Brown Cow must wait to see if they have done enough to clinch the title with teams around them having games in hand. They also have their hopes set on a double when they take on Bradshaw in the semi-finals of the Springfield Camping League Cup on Sunday

Ma Bakers’ run of wins continued with a 2-0 win against promotion challengers Beehive&Crosskeys.

With Both teams needing victories it was always going to be a competitive game of football. B

oth teams started of the game brightly but it was Bakers who looked the more dangerous going forward. Prolific scorer David Woffenden opened their account with a well worked team goal.

Beehive were awarded a penalty late in the first half but in-form ‘keeper Peter Jennings pulled off a fantastic save down to his right then saved the rebound.

Bakers continued to dominate after the break and created a number of chances.

Man of the match Andy Salms’ composure in his own box led to the second goal with the defender pulling the ball out of the air and producing a wonderful pass to David Woffenden to for him to drive forward to chip the ‘keeper.

King Cross Park ended their poor run of form with an impressive 8-1 win away at Plummet Line.

Sam Dunkley opened the scoring with an impressive finish from a tight angle. The second goal came through Tom Peirson with a deft header from a pinpoint Si Ward free kick.

Plummet came out strongly in the second half and some complacent defending created a chance for the striker who converted very well.

However, Park hit back straight away with an excellent team goal finished off by Peirson. Park duo Dunkley and Ward then ran riot on Plummet’s defence.

Ward was fed through by the impressive Lionel Rickman, who then found Dunkley who turned the centre half inside out and finished into the corner.

Ward converted a good team goal to make it 5-1 before adding a second with a cheeky chip over the keeper after a great ball by Dunkley.

Jarrett scored from 15 yards out to make it 7-1 and Dunkley finished the rout with the pick of the bunch where he took the ball round two players and sold the keeper a dummy before putting it in

Halifax Hammers booked a second successive Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA District Cup final appearance following a 5-3 success over Lee Mount.

Mohammed Ozair proved the Hammers hero as he netted a fine hat-trick in a game played in a good spirit and well refereed by Mick Denton.

Mount made the brighter start with chances falling to Callum Meade and Jack Normanton who were denied by Namaan Sarwar in the Hammer’s goal.

Ozair opened the scoring when he intercepted a short back pass and beat ‘keeper Liam Normanton.

Mohammad Yasser saw a header hit the post before Callum Meade’s shot was deflected in for 1-1. Moments later Hammers scored again when a pinpoint pass from Mohammed Ozair found Sameer Ahmed who scored from close range,

Mount kept pressing and were awarded a corner which Abu Bakar turned into his own net under pressure.

After that it was the Mohammed Ozair show as he raced past a few players before scoring to make it 3-2 then curled a wicked shot into the top corner from 25 yards.

Mount scored early in the second half through the hard-working Jack Normanton, They also saw one effort hit the crossbar and another effort cleared off the line before delightful passing by Kashif Akmal, Irfan Afzal and Mohamed Yasser put Ahsan Farooq in and he smashed the ball in to seal the win.

Hammers will take on Division Two side Beehive & CrossKeys in the final which will be played at Brighouse Town on Wednesday, March 25. (7.30).