Controversy as Crossleys stun Cross

Hebden Royd Red Star's Ben Norman in Saturday's 3-1 defeat by Greetland
Hebden Royd Red Star's Ben Norman in Saturday's 3-1 defeat by Greetland

AFC Crossleys sprung the big surprise in the second round of the Skircoat Green Physiotherapy Challenge Cup by flooring in-form Premier Division side King Cross Warley 4-2 as Mason Green.

The Division Two leaders thought they were good value for their win over the 90 minutes, but one controversial decision and Lady Luck helped them on their way.

A solo goal from Craig Gladwin and a second from Tom Boyle just before half time left them sitting pretty.

However, Boyle’s goal from an indirect free-kick sparked fury in the Warley camp and led to the visitors being reduced to 10 men.

The referee ruled that Boyle’s effort, which the ‘keeper made no attempt to save, had brushed a defender and awarded a goal. A visiting player was then dismissed for dissent.

In spite of the setback, Tom Hiley got one back for Warley just after half time. However, Boyle restored Crossleys’ two-goal advantage when he challenged the ‘keeper and the ball ricochetted into the net.

Hiley cashed in on a defensive mis-kick but confirmation that it wasn’t Warley’s day came in the closing minutes when a clearance hit home sub Callum Goins in the face and the ball ended up in the net.

Mixenden United also caused a mini surprise by winning 2-1 at division higher Denholme United.

There were also away wins for premier pair Ryburn United and Copley United against first division opposition.

Ryburn appeared to have a potential banana skin against Salem, who haven’t put a foot wrong in the league so far this season.

However, they came through 3-1 with a solid display in tricky conditions on Savile Park.

Matt Lamb kept prolific scorer Nick Green fairly quiet and Ryburn brought in big Craig Peckover to add solidity to their side.

John Wadsworth opened the scoring from a James Lawton cross midway through the half and Alex Coburn, who was outstanding up front, made it 2-0 at the break.

Salem had a strong spell and Ash Raynor made a couple of saves before he was beaten by Paul Opacic.

However, debutant Carl Maguire restored Ryburn’s two-goal lead five minutes later.

Copley United haven’t had too much to cheer about so far this season so a 4-1 win at Stainland will have lifted spirits. John Murphy, Chad Ogden, Scott Davies and Dan Pullan were their marksman while Dan Hodgson scored for the hosts. Mixenden came up with the perfect response to a heavy defeat the previous week, goals from Mark Machon and Chris Higgins seeing them through with Joe Webster replying for Mick O’Connor’s hosts.

Sowerby United reached the last eight with a hard fought 1-0 home win over champions Midgley United, who were beaten for the third game running.

Midgley did the early pressing but failed to create any chances of note against a home defence that was well organised by Garry Boyd and man of the match Jake Allott.

James Adey was lively for Midgley but it was defences who were on top with Andrew Butterworth starring for Midgley.

Just as the game was heading towards a goalless draw John Wilkinson produced a piece of magic on the left, rounding two defenders then picking out Corey Henderson who netted with a great strike.

Midgley fought to the end with little joy but Sowerby battled and kept them at bay.

Gareth Gaukroger and Danny Kirman each scored twice as Holmfield beat division-lower visitors Volunteer Arms 8-4.

Six matches went ahead in the second round of the Ricky O’Brien Invitation Cup and Shelf FC and Hebden Royd Red Star Reserves both beat opponents from a higher division.

Shelf completed a miserable day for the Denholme club with a 3-2 home win over the Foster Park reserves while Red Star gained some revenge for the defeat of their firsts with a 2-1 win away to Division One outfit Greetland Reserves.

Two goals from Connah Judson - who is also a useful young golfer - helped Savile Arms win 3-1 away to Elland Allstars Reserves in an all-third division tie.

Ryburn United Reserves and Spring Hall Celtic look strong contenders for this trophy. Ryburn thumped a St Columbas side who prop up the league by 10-0 while Celtic were handsome 6-0 home winners over Midgley United Reserves, aided by Zain Ahmed’s brace of goals.

Greetland beat leaders Hebden Royd Red Star 3-1 away in Saturday’s battle of the unbeaten pair in the Premier Division.

On a poor surface, skipper Matty Oldfield, Carl Ainley and playmaker Dave Woffenden tried to boss possession for the visitors, who took the lead when Scott McHale met Woffenden’s corner with a near post header.

Red Star claimed the ball had hit the branches of an overhanging tree and a goal kick should have been awarded.

Carl Ainley had a couple of chances to extend the lead but Red Star hit a post and their ‘keeper Craig Taylor denied Eddy Harvey.

Greetland extended their lead when Danny Dorwood pounced on a through ball which was held up by the heavy pitch and rounded Glynn Claxton before tucking the ball home from a tight angle.

Red Star missed a chance to get a goal back late in the first half when Lewis Cockroft was pushed but Eddy Harvey smashed the penalty against the bar.

Cockroft hit the woodwork again early in the second half with a great effort and he finally pulled a goal back midway through the half, prodding the ball home in a goalmouth scramble.

All the action was now in the Greetland half but the visitors defended resolutely and Taylor was in fine form.

With five minutes left Greetland made the game safe on the break, substitute Paul Gee setting up Woffenden to score.

In-form Calder ‘76 romped to a 5-1 home win over Sowerby Bridge, who are still seeking a first win following promotion.

Early goals from Jon Gibson and James Megson put them in command but bridge battled hard and Oliver Coates got one back before half time.

Gibson’s second just after the break was the key goal and Hayden Gee put more daylight between the teams. John Moynes came on as substitute, along with Scott Dawson who was returning from injury, and completed victory for a Calder side which has climbed rapidly to fourth.

Northowram claimed the bragging rights in their first derby match with Shelf United for a few seasons, Chris Conroy’s goal nine minutes from time giving them a 3-2 win in Division One.

In front of the biggest crowd at Northowram Rec for many seasons, the Rams made it five league wins on the trot in a scrappy and sometimes feisty derby against their promotion rivals.

The first half was high in endeavour but low in quality with misplaced passes galore. Conroy, with a rare chance following Chris Dunne’s through ball, was let down by a poor first touch but made amends after 34 minutes with a fine individual goal.

Danny King’s excellent pass sent him clear down the left and the Rams’ leading scorer rounded the onrushing keeper and close control took him round two defenders before slotting home.

Shelf drew level a minute later when ‘keeper James Bunn could not hang on to Adie Balding’s speculative low shot from distance and in the ensuing melee the ball was forced over the line.

Close to half-time Bunn did well to palm away a close range header from the lively Joe Griffin.

Playing down the slope and with the wind at their backs in the second half, the Rams almost took the lead in the opening minute when Conroy’s lob from Bunn’s long clearance struck the bar.

Two minutes later the visitors took the lead thanks to a superbly executed volley from Griffin that gave Bunn no chance, a lead that lasted only five minutes when King’s curling free kick deceived everybody and bounced into the far corner.

Dunne missed a great chance and James Waggett went close with a free kick for Rams before substitute Mark Eade put pressure on the ‘keeper and the ball broke to Conroy, whose sidefoot volley put the Rams ahead.

The final frantic minutes saw Shelf hit the bar following a corner and Matthew Rushworth suffered a nasty-looking head wound.

Halifax Irish Centre won the other match in the section, beating Wadsworth United 2-1 at West Vale in the basement battle.

Goals from Ashley Holms and Niall Cuttle gave Irish their first league win of the season and left Wadsworth, who had Charles Marshall on the scoresheet, bottom of the table.