Elland Sports lead goal-fest

Goals were the order of the day in the Halifax Sunday League Premier Division with the six matches producing a remarkable 54 successful strikes.

Elland Sports scored the most with their 9-1 demolition of Mount Tabor while FC Bowling Green and Carrington maintained their unbeaten starts to the campaign with 8-0 and 7-1 victories over Sun Inn and King Cross Sports respectively.

Elland and Tabor were well matched for the first 20 minutes but the game changed when Mount lost Chris Woodhouse with a broken leg.

Elland began to dominate and were 5-0 up by half-time courtesy of a brace apiece from Mark Heppenstall and James Greenwood and a goal from David Woffenden.

Tabor came out strongly in the second half and were gifted a goal through a mistake by Elland keeper Steve Hawskworth.

However, Carl Ainley headed into the top corner to make it 6-1 before Elland ran away with it courtesy of further goals from Heppenstall, Jacob Driver and Wayne Crossley.

Carrington’s emphatic victory did not tell the full story. Fresh from a good midweek win at Elland, the home side went into the game full of confidence but a lacklustre display left the result in the balance for an hour.

Carrington were dealt a blow before the match with the news that Matty Jones had broken his leg the previous day whilst playing for Ovenden West Riding, but they started brightly and took the lead when Mark McElroy turned home a near post cross. Damien Randall almost doubled the lead with a fantastic solo effort but was denied by an excellent last ditch challenge.

Carrington seemed in control but a seemingly innocuous long ball caused confusion at the back and Courtney Smith pounced to bring the scores level. The game then became very scrappy with neither side able to get on the ball and there were no further efforts on goal before the break.

Carrington showed some improvement after the break, creating a couple of decent chances, but the tipping point was the introduction of substitutes Jay Carney and Matty Horsfall.

Within five minutes, Carney beat the offside trap and slotted the ball home. Shortly after, great play from Horsfall and Carney created an opening for Jordan Coduri and he made no mistake.

The floodgates had now well and truly opened and Randall was the next to get in on the act, finishing well after being put through on goal. Coduri then grabbed his second, after a flowing move his tame looking shot was spilled into his own net by the keeper.

King Cross’ attacks were now few and far between and were easily dealt with by the Carrington backline, in particular a faultless performance from Paul Watson.

Randall then added his second, a carbon copy of his first, before a rampaging break out of defence by Leigh King allowed Carney to complete the scoring and become the third Carrington player to score a brace of goals in the match.

The result keeps Carrington in second place behind Green while Shoulder FC Northowram fell away in third following a 7-5 defeat by FC Champs.

Lee Mount have certainly found their feet in the top flight if their 5-2 success over FC Royal of Pellon is anything to go by while Engineers scraped the verdict in a nine goal thriller at The Vine.

A subdued Royal side were no match for the more hungrier Mount outfit and Callum Meade took full advantage with four quality goals.

Meade put his side two goals to the good before Royal pulled one back before the break.

Meade added another two in the second half with Jordan Ryder hitting the target from 25 yards before the home side added a late second.

Thornhill Briggs still lead the way in Division One following their 4-2 success over Royd Club while Oddfellows made it two wins from two with a hard earned success at Bradshaw.

Bradshaw were the better team in the first half and led through two Tom Boyle goals either side of a Chris Swaine effort for Oddfellows.

Oddfellows picked things up in the second half and sub Chris Keen helped himself to a hat trick while a second from Swaine made sure the visitors went home with the points. Waiters Arms maintained their 100 per cent record with a 3-2 success over Halifax Hammers.

Unbeaten Division Two leaders Greetland Goldstars were involved in a titanic tussle with Hens Face before they maintained their 100 percent record with a 5-4 success - Will Chadwick’s late penalty securing the points.

Kyle Adamson’s free kick into the top corner gave Goldstars the lead but they conceded two penalties to hand the initiative to the visitors.

David Oakes levelled things but Hens Face hit the front again before an own goal and a Tom Wall effort enabled Greetland to take a 4-3 lead into the break.

The visitors squared things with around 20 minutes to go and just when a draw looked certain, a Hens Face defender committed a rash foul in the area and Chadwick did the rest.

King Cross Park secured their first three points after three straight defeats courtesy of a surprise 5-1 victory over Hebden Bridge while Rastrick eased into third with a straightforward 6-0 success at still winless Beehive and Crosskeys.

Acton Athletic claimed the scoring honours in the Bridge Balti League Cup with a 16-1 trouncing of fellow Division One side Elland Sports Reserves.

Things were even for the first 10 minutes but then Phil Gomes weighed in with a four minute hat-trick and that set the tone.

Gomes went on to net five times but was beaten by Scott Carney who netted six.

Martin Scully bagged a brace while Geordie Watson, Andy Woodhouse and Matt Bodkins also weighed in.

Aaron Burnside scored a very late consolation for the visitors.

Queens Head were comfortable 4-0 winners over lower division Stubbing Wharf in a game played in an excellent spirit and well refereed by Mike Sharman.

Wharf made a bright start but once Queens hit their stride there was always going to be one outcome.

Gary Eastwood set the ball rolling, curling in the first goal direct from a corner, and after Frank Odion and Martin Cannon had gone close Joe Bryson struck twice to make it 3-0 at the break.

Wharf kept their heads up but it was Queens who added to their tally with Cannon hitting the fourth after which they comfortably saw the game out.

Division One side Triangle had too much firepower for Halifax Rangers as they ran out 11-2 winners while Hollins Holme required extra time before running out 5-3 winners over Ryburn United.

Elsewhere, Stallions finally stiffened their defence but were still beaten 3-2 by Old Pond while Ryburn Valley ran out 4-1 winners over North Bridge and Top Club saw off King Cross Reserves 8-1.