Brighouse Town are out after penalty drama

editorial image

Brighouse Town 1 Spennymoor Town 1 (Spennymoor won 5-4 on penalties).

Brighouse Town are out of Doodson Sports Cup after losing out on penalties!

The game ended one a piece and, under the competition rules there was no extra time and it was straight to the harsh decider that is the penalty shoot out.

Seven rounds of penalties were taken and it was real nail biting viewing for the spectators on what was the coldest night of the year so far.

It was all Spennymoor in the opening couple of minutes and Jacob Giles came to the rescue of his side, tipping over a blistering shot from Kier Green.

Three minutes later some neat approach play from Town culminated in Ernest Boafo just driving wide of the target.

It was in the opening fifteen minutes when both sides began to strive for domination in what was a real end-to-end tie.

In the 23rd minute Ernest Boafo was booked for an elbow in the tackle with Paul Johnson, and seven minutes later and from a Brighouse corner the ball was moved down the pitch with fast pace from John McRready, he passed to Ian Ward who went one-on-one with Giles; he took his shot and the home custodian was right on it and snuffed out the gilt-edged chance.

Town needed to keep an eye on the impressive McReady as he began to reak havoc.

With minutes to the half time break Mcready brought the ball into Town’s area before passing to Michael Roberts whose attempt hit the post to the relief of the home side.

Town made a half time substitution with skipper Leon Henry being replaced by Issac Baldwin.

The first goal of the match came from Spennymoor in the 56th minute, David Gibson putting the ball past Giles after their first attempt seconds earlier had been repelled.

Two minutes later and Danny Hull had a near miss for Brighouse, hitting the crossbar after some concerted pressure.

The ball came to Boafo, who was working the right channel well, in the 60th minute, and his attempt was parried by keeper David Atkinson, Boafo went for the ball again clashing with a Spennymoor defender and sending the ball out for a corner.

In 70th minute Town brought on fresh legs with Hull being replaced by Bill Law.

Two minutes later and again Boafo fired the ball into an open goal but it was kicked off the line by Kai Willis.

With five minutes to go Town replaced Chris Fisher with Elliott Scott.

Centre back Tyrone Gay, who had been pushed up front, scored an equalising goal with just two minutes to go after further neat work by Boafo and an excellent cross.

With a minute left of the game, Baldwin had his attempt which would of ended the match, headed off the line by Daniel Groves.

It was straight to penalties for the decider.

Spennymoor were up first, and Connor Dunlavey put the ball in the top right corner.

Tom Matthews stepped up for Town and the ball hit the post and bounced down over the white line.

Reece Brown then put the ball straight into the net, and if Giles had stayed in a central position he possible could have stopped it.

Teenager Scott then went to the spot and had his goal saved by Atkinson.

Roberts then put his ball past Giles, followed by Ryan Hall sending the ball past Atkinson. Gavin Brown then hit the post, before Boafo levelled the scores. Ian Ward then put the ball in the net with Baldwin also adding his name to the penalty list.

Giles then saved Gibson’s attempt, before Gay sent the ball flying over the crossbar.

Spennymoor’s Peter Brown then put the ball in the back of the net. Adam Wilson went to the penalty spot and he sent the ball over the crossbar, aka Gay, which sent Spennymoor into the next round.

Brighouse: Giles, Thornton, Fisher, Gay, Wilson, Hurtley, Hall, Hull, Boafo, Matthews, Henry. Subs: Scott, Baldwin, Law, Quinn, Brown.

Referee: Mick Denton