Bromley 3-0 FC Halifax Town: We were beaten by the better team, says Heath

Billy Heath
Billy Heath

Town boss Billy Heath admitted his side were beaten by the better team after their 3-0 defeat at Bromley on Saturday.

Halifax held the hosts at 0-0 until just after half-time, before Bromley netted three times in a devastating nine-minute spell, twice through Josh Rees and once through Louis Dennis.

“We made some sort of a fist of it in the first-half, but second-half you have to hold your hands up that you’ve been beaten by a better group of players,” Heath said.

“I don’t have any qualms about the result.

“We didn’t get going at all in the second-half. It was always going to be difficult against the wind.

“We didn’t get close enough, we seemed to be happy to sit off them and protect space more than go and engage people.

“The referee’s decisions didn’t help - sometimes you get them and sometimes you don’t - but we’ve got to be better.”

When asked what Heath said to his players at half-time, the Town boss said: “I was telling them we were against the wind and it was going to be difficult for us to get out, so we had to make sure we were at it in the first 10 minutes, and we weren’t.”

Heath wasn’t happy with the performance of referee Gary Parsons, commenting: “The first one wasn’t a free-kick. The lad’s offside for the third one and I don’t think it crossed the line either.

“But that’s what’s happening at the minute, we’re getting some decisions against us.”

Heath was also unhappy that all three Bromley goals stemmed from crosses into the Town box.

“That’s disappointing,” Heath said. “Don’t get me wrong, the first one is a great ball, but I still think you’ve got to defend it.

“They were a very expansive, good team, very sharp with some very quick players and we were just found wanting.”

One bright note from a day to forget for Town was the performance of goalkeeper Sam Johnson.

“Sam had a great game,” Heath said. “He’s there to do that, but he was exceptional. Definitely our man-of-the-match.”

On the debut of loanee Shaun Tuton, Heath said: “It was a difficult game because the wind was blowing right down the pitch. He did OK.”

Midfielder Jake Hibbs was substituted at half-time, which Heath explained: “He missed training on Thursday due to illness and you could see he wasn’t himself. He didn’t have the energy levels he usually has, and that dynamism.”