Cammell Laird 0 FC Halifax Town 1

editorial image

FC Halifax secured their place in the first round of the FA Trophy for the first time since they reformed thanks to Gareth Seddon’s second half penalty.

Seddon converted from the spot after Alex Titchiner was brought down by Laird keeper Kevin Atherton with 12 minutes to go.

Town toiled against their opponents, who play in the EvoStik Division One North, and could have faced the prospect of an upset had Laird taken one of several clear cut chances.

But despite a disjointed and largely disappointing performance, the Shaymen booked their place in round one.

Despite Town’s success with the 4-3-3 system on Tuesday, Aspin included defender Phil Bolland in place of Dale Johnson as he switched to a 3-5-2 formation.

The hosts began the game brightly and had the ball in the net after 90 seconds - but the Aaron Bowen’s strike was ruled out for offside as the Shaymen’s blushes were spared.

Scott McManus fizzed a low cross across the face of goal at the other end but Kevin Atherton was able to punch clear - albeit unconvincingly - and he was fortunate to stop Jon Worthington’s effort after racing off his line shortly afterwards.

The first real save of the game came on 15 minutes when Aaron Bowen stung the palms of Matt Glennon, who was at full stretch to tip the strikers’ shot behind for a corner.

Defender Lee Atherton saw his header glance just wide from a 21st minute corner and Bowen saw appeals for a penalty turned down after a coming together with Glennon in the six yard box as the hosts looked to seize the first half momentum.

But Laird’s forward thinking promoted some from Town, and Chris Worsley should have done much better than blaze over Titchiner’s cut back from close range after a strong run by the forward down the right.

Seddon had a decent chance to put Town ahead when he turned on Worthington’s pass but saw his shot blocked by full-back Freddie Porter, and the forward saw his appeals for a penalty turned down five minutes before the break after his header was blocked in front of Atherton by defender Mike Grogan.

Laird finished the half stronger, with Glennon again at his athletic best to keep out a Bowen header - although again the flag would have denied him a goal - as the sides went in level at the break.

Dale Johnson replaced Chris Worsley at the break as Aspin changed to a 4-3-3 system, and the substitute got his first shot away just 16 seconds into the half, although it was dragged tamely wide.

As in the first half, Laird got the first strike on target in the second but Jamie Henders attempted curler was straight at Glennon.

Bowen, a constant problem in the first half, then missed a glorious chance to putting the hosts in front but he could only glance Joe Holt’s cross when any sort of firm contact would have done.

Worthington volleyed high and wide for the Shaymen after being teed up by McManus and John Couch did the same at the other end after more could play by Bowen, before another good chance for Laird, this time Grogan nodding his free header over from an inswinging corner.

Just after the hour Laird’s top scorer Henders produced a wonderful acorbatic effort which Glennon beat away - and from the resulting clearance Seddon fed Titchiner who somehow prodded wide from inside the six yard box.

The striker then saw his appeals for a penalty waved away after he was hauled down by Dan O’Brien, but the referee waved play off to the anger of Town’s players.

Holt’s mazy run and shot at the other end forced a corner which Grogan somehow failed to connect with as Laird looked like stealing it.

But with just over ten minutes to go Titchiner was sent racing clear, and was floored by Atherton as he raced off his line to meet himas Town had a penalty, which Seddon coolly slotted into the bottom right hand corner to give Town the lead.

Titchiner could have doubled the lead five minutes before the end but Atherton made a smart save at his near post as Town ran down the clock to seal the win.

Cammell Laird: Atherton, Porter, Dysart, Grogan, O’Brien, Atherton, Couch, Bowen, Henders, Gibiluru, Holt. Unused subs: Richards, Feeney, Butler, Ferrigan.`

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Worsley (Johnson, 46 mins), McManus, Hogan, Bolland, Lowe, Worsley, Marshall (Needham, 62 mins), Titchiner, Marshall, Seddon (St Juste, 88 mins). Unused subs: Senior, Hackney.

Goals: Seddon (78 pen)

Attendance: 301