Confident Matt is relishing Celtic clash

Town will be travelling to play-off rivals Stalybridge full of confidence on Friday after their 4-0 win over Histon at the weekend.

That is the view of midfielder Matt Crooks who is looking forward to another big game in a Town shirt.

The Huddersfield Town youngster made his debut for the Shaymen at Hyde and has also faced Guiseley in his short time with Town.

And he is expecting the clash with Celtic to be of a similar high standard to those two games.

“I have seen what it is like to play Hyde and Guiseley who are also at the top with us,” he said.

“They have been good games and it should be another at Stalybridge on Friday.

“We are full of confidence after getting a clean sheet and four goals last weekend.

“You can’t ask for much more than that.”

Crooks might have scored at Hyde but he was unable to get a late chance on target.

But he broke his scoring duck against Histon and will be looking for more over the Easter weekend.

“It was a long time coming, and I am glad I finally got it,” he said. “As soon as I had trained after that miss I was concentrated on the next game.

“I like getting forward - that is pretty much my game - you just have to keep going and keep looking for chances.”

The big thing for Crooks is that he has managed to force his way into the starting line up for the last three matches.

“It is what I wanted when I came here,” he said. “I am just looking for as much game time as I can get.”

His second start against Guiseley was cut short by injury which meant he was unable to resume after the break.

But there was no long term damage and he played a full part last weekend.

“I got a big cut down my thigh and got clipped on the shin as well,” he said. “I could not carry on and was forced to rest for a few days.

“Thankfully I was able to get back for the win on Saturday.”

Guiseley maintained their push for automatic promotion with a 3-2 win over Gloucester City last night

Stalybridge missed the chance to move back into the top five when they were beaten 3-2 at home by Bishop’s Stortford.