Farsley 0-2 FC Halifax Town

editorial image

Goals from Josh Macdonald and Danny Hattersley eased FC Halifax Town into the quarter-finals of the West Riding County Cup with a 2-0 win at Farsley Celtic.

There are certainly more important cup games Town will compete in this week, but The Shaymen are now two rounds away from regaining a trophy they last won in 2013 as part of a memorable double with the Conference North play-off final.

As expected, Town named a much-changed line-up, although unlike Neil Aspin last season, Darren Kelly resisted naming himself in the side.

Hamza Bencherif, Macdonald, Hattersley and Shaun Tuton, who skippered the side, were the only players to make a senior appearance this term.

For Bencherif especially, who started the season as Town captain, it was a stark clarification of his current place in the pecking order.

Ex-Town players James Riley and Aaron Hardy were not involved, with the former injured and the latter rested, with even the hosts choosing to rotate their squad for the night.

The fog was sufficient enough to cloud the view of the opposite side of the pitch without obscuring the action, which got off to a competitive start.

Lewis Sugden’s shot was straight at Jordan Porter at one end before Macdonald’s free-kick whistled a few yards over the bar at the other.

Shortly after, Tuton did well to set-up the winger, who calmly finished left-footed inside the box.

It was an open contest, with Sugden again shooting just over before a Town shot was cleared off the line by Ryan Harrison and Hattersley’s header was tipped over, although the hosts were awarded a goal kick; must’ve been the fog obscuring referee Gareth Rhodes’ view.

It seemed to be getting thicker as the first-half wore on, although thankfully the view wasn’t obscured for Hattersley’s driven finish from the edge of the area to double Halifax’s lead after half-an-hour.

The gap in quality was starting to tell now, with Town’s first-teamers inevitably standing-out, even with the fog, especially the industrious Tuton.

Paddy Miller’s swerving shot brought a fine save from Porter, but there could be no argument the visitors deserved their half-time lead.

Farsley’s efforts to claw back Halifax were praiseworthy but limited, with Kelly comfortable enough with his team’s advantage to withdraw Tuton midway through a largely incident-free second-half.

The hosts deserved a goal for their efforts, and came close when Josh Grant’s shot across goal dribbled just wide of the far post.

Aiden Savory’s late shot was well blocked by Porter after the keeper had charged off his line before the Town stopper flew to his right to tip away Sudgen’s 25 yard drive.

Farsley: Lofthouse (Taylor 46), Howarth, Serrant, Sugden, Harrison, Miller, Stevens (Osbourne 56), Hancock, Jenkinson (Nightingale 73), Savory, Grant. Subs not used: O’Brien, Clayton.

Shots on target: 7

Shots off target: 6

Corners: 6

Halifax: Porter, Barrows, Bencherif, Bradley, Dennison, Macdonald, Taylor, Harrison, Hillhouse (Shelley 84), Hattersley, Tuton (Bannister 66). Subs not used: Halford, Dearnley, Khan.

Scorers: Macdonald (21), Hattersley (31)

Shots on target: 7

Shots off target: 4

Corners: 3

Town of the match: Shaun Tuton