Farsley AFC 1 FC Halifax Town 3 - match report

Neil Aspin
Neil Aspin

The Shaymen maintained their 100 per cent record in pre-season with a comfortable win at West Yorkshire neighbours Farsley.

Goals from Jamie Rainford and Gareth Seddon either side of half time and a Lee Gregory strike where enough to see the Shaymen home against a Farsley side who initially took the lead and saw a penalty saved by Phil Senior.

Neil Aspin made nine changes from the side which beat Stockport at the Shay on Saturday, with only Ben Futcher, Ryan Toulson and Seddon retaining their places.

On a glorious evening in West Leeds, the game began at a good tempo with both sides trying to get the ball forward but creating little in the opening exchanges.

The first real chance didn’t come until the 18th minute, when Gregory received the ball 20 yards out from Seddon, who captained the side, but his left foot curler was straight at keeper Tom Guildford.

Town began to get on top as the half wore on, but wasted a glorious chance to go ahead on 25 minutes.

Seddon, playing in behind the lively Rainford and Gregory, took the ball down on his chest before turning and sliding in Rainford on the right.

Having beaten the offside trap, Rainford saw his right foot effort palmed out straight to Gregory 12 yards out, but with the whole goal to hit and the keeper on the ground, the frontman chose to take a touch rather than shooting first time and the ball somehow trickled harmlessly wide.

The miss sparked the hosts into life, and after former Shayman Gareth Grant saw his shot slide just past Phil Senior’s far post, Farsley won a penalty.

Ryan Toulson was deemed to have fouled Adam Muller and Ryan Watson stepped up to take the kick, but his effort was palming away by Senior.

Chances came and went for Town, with Seddon opting to pull back for Gregory rather than shoot and Chris Worsley heading over, but they soon paid the price when Farsley took the lead.

After a trip by Worsley 20 yards out, Watson stepped up to drill his free-kick into the wall, with a wicked deflection giving Senior no chance,

Seddon, impressive again, missed a chance to level before the break when he headed a Rainford free kick just wide at the back post, but Town levelled right on the stroke of half time, when Rainford delightfully curled the ball into the bottom right corner from the left hand side of the area after receiving the ball from Worsley.

Three minutes into the second half and Town were ahead. Worsley was fouled 30 yards out and his free-kick made its way to Seddon, who beat two challenges as he danced his way along the edge of the 18 yard box before firing past Guildford.

Four minutes later Seddon, who linked up the forward play well all night, couldn’t connect properly with a Rainford cross, but he was involved again on the 60th minute this time setting up Gregory, who showed the kind of composure that was missing from his first half effort as he rolled the ball into the bottom left hand corner from 12 yards.

Former Fleetwood man Seddon seemed to be at the heart of everything, and after beating his man on the right he crossed for substitute Jason St Juste, who could only fire into the side netting from an acute angle in the 65minute.

Farsley, who missed a glorious chance to equalise with the score at 2-1 when Grant over hit a cross for the unmarked James Burgess who could only prod wide of the far post, continued to battle but struggled to create anything clear cut against a resolute Town defence, and could have conceded a fourth when Toulson fed Gregory whose shot was hit straight at the Farsley keeper.

Man of the match Seddon was replaced with ten minutes to go to applause from the whole crowd, and as the game wound down Rainford missed Town’s best chance when he clipped a right foot shot just past the post.

Town host Scunthorpe at the Shay on Saturday.

FC Halifax Town: Senior, Toulson, O’Brien, Worthington, Futcher (Lowe, 60mins). Qualter, Worsley (Hogan, 70mins), Seddon (Johnson, 80mins), Rainford, Gregory, Needham (St Juste, 60mins). Unused subs: Jarrett, Marshall, Binns, Glennon.

Farsley AFC: Guildford, Hay, Serrant, Carr, Jackson, Pacey, Watson, Walton, Muller, Grant, Burgess. Subs: (all used) Briggs, Bambrook, Priestley, Radcliffe, Dugdale, Ferdinand.