FC Halifax Town 1-4 Maidenhead

editorial image

FC Halifax Town were knocked out of the FA Trophy after crashing to a 4-1 defeat to Maidenhead at The Shay.

Matty Kosylo scored for the second game running inside the first minute, but a brace from Moses Emmanuel and another two from Harry Pritchard sealed Town’s exit.

Halifax were in control of the tie before Maidenhead equalised just before the interval, and The Shaymen never looked the same after that.

Billy Heath’s team played some good stuff in the first-half, full of energy and creativity, but went out with a whimper, and it must be said, more than a little help from the referee, who waved away two penalty shouts from the hosts while awarding a questionable one to the away side.

Town’s squad had a more depleted look than usual - and that’s saying something - with virus-stricken Michael Collins joining Cliff Moyo, Michael Duckworth and Martin Riley on the injured list, while George Waring followed Adam Morgan through the exit door.

Thank goodness Town still have Kosylo. The winger got the hosts off to a dream start when he latched onto Tom Denton’s through ball before executing a low shot across Carl Pentney from a tight angle after only 33 seconds.

But Maidenhead book-ended the opening-half with a goal of their own when Emmanuel bundled a cross over the line from Harold Odametey, who was given far too much space to pick out his man.

In between those goals it had been an attractive, open contest, in contrast to their comparatively drab league meeting a week ago.

Maidenhead reacted well to Kosylo’s goal, twice going close through right-back Remy Clerima.

Josh Macdonald then had a penalty appeal turned down for what looked like a foul by Maidenhead left-back Rene Steer, while Hibbs would later be booked by Mr Popular, referee Ryan Johnson, for apparently diving despite being taken out by a wild challenge just outside the box.

Denton headed Hibbs’ cross wide before Danny Clarke slipped Hibbs in with a superb sideways pass, but the midfielder struck a rising drive over from eight yards.

Hibbs then had a free-kick tipped behind by Pentney before Scott Garner headed Macdonald’s cross just over.

Emmanuel should have levelled before he did find the net but skewed his shot wide after being sent clean through.

If we’re talking should haves though, The Shaymen should have been out of sight before Maidenhead equalised.

Kosylo’s goal seemed a long time ago by the time Maidenhead took the lead, with Odametey again the provider and Pritchard finishing well from six yards out.

That goal seemed to sag the shoulders of The Shaymen, and it was soon 3-1 when Emmanuel was left unmarked to head in Steer’s cross from the left.

Suddenly passes were going straight out of play and gaps were appearing in defence, with Town looking shell-shocked at the turnaround.

Denton had a penalty appeal turned down when he appeared to be hauled down, before Maidenhead were given what looked like a soft penalty of their own when Emmanuel went down under Brown’s challenge, with Pritchard converting from the spot.

Halifax: Johnson, Wilde, Garner, Brown, Wilde, Macdonald, Hibbs, Oliver (Tomlinson 56), Clarke, Kosylo (Khan 81), Denton. Subs not used: Nicholson, Barrows, Hotte.

Scorer: Kosylo (1)

Shots on target: 4

Shots off target: 6

Corners: 2

Maidenhead: Pentney, Clerima, Massey, Goodman, Steer, Pritchard, Odametey, Kilman (Comley 79), Upward, Marks (Smith 82), Emmanuel (Barratt 75).Subs not used: Owusu, Peters.

Scorers: Emmanuel (45, 60), Pritchard (53, 74)

Shots on target: 4

Shots off target: 10

Corners: 5

Attendance: 802

Referee: Ryan Johnson

Town man of the match: Matty Kosylo