FC Halifax Town 1 Bolton Wanderers 0

FC Halifax Town v Bolton Wanderers
FC Halifax Town v Bolton Wanderers

Lee Gregory’s sixth goal of pre-season was enough to see FC Halifax beat a Bolton Wanderers Xi at the Shay.

Gregory held of his man to steer a first half Ryan Toulson cross into the far corner for the only goal as Town won again in pre-season.

There was no Ben Futcher for the Shaymen following his appointment as temporary assitant at Bury, with the big defender one of five changes Neil Aspin made from the side which beat Blackburn Rovers 3-1 on Saturday he returned to their more usual 4-3-3 formation

Town created the first chance after 90 seconds when Dale Johnson, restored to the starting line-up, showed clever footwork before finding Liam Needham, but his cross was turned wide of the far post by Gareth Seddon from 12 yards.

After that early left off for the visitors they began to take control of possession, but didn’t create anything clear cut until left-back Andy Kellett, who was a constant threat down the left in the first half, beat the offside trap only to scoop his shot high over the bar with just ‘keeper Matt Glennon to beat.

Wanderers continued to press and drew the first save from Glennon on the half hour when powerful striker Tom Eaves drove a left foot shot straight at the former Huddersfield man, but he was able to palm the ball behind.

Despite Bolton creating the best of the chances, Town went ahead on 36 minutes when Toulson’s deep cross was headed into the far corner by Gregory for his sixth goal of pre-season.

Town went in ahead at the break and the second half started brightly, with Seddon headed over a Gregory cross from the right when unmarked, and two minutes later at the other end Glennon was forced to save down low to his right after a shot by Michael O’Halloran.

Town began to see more of the ball, and substitute Jason St Juste, who has enjoyed an impressive pre-season, twice linked up well down the left as Town looked for a second.

The Shaymen were more than a match for Bolton in the second half and with 20 minutes to go Bolton brought on five substitutes to try and inject some life into their attack.

Second half chances were at a premium though, and as Bolton committed bodies forward in search of an equaliser, Seddon scuffed an Obesi Akidaki shot wide with the Wanderers ‘keeper Jay Lynch beaten with five minutes to go.

It looked like Town might live to regret the miss when Adam Blakeman beat the offside trap a minute later, but he blazed his shot wide as Town stood firm to clinch the win in their final home game before they season starts at Bishops Stortford on August 18.

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Toulson, O’Brien (St Juste, 45 mins), Hogan, Qualter, Marshall, Worsley, Needham, Johnson (Rainford, 64 mins), Gregory (Akidaki, 64 mins), Seddon. Unused subs: Senior, Worthington.

Bolton Wanderers: Lynch, Battersby, Kellett, McQuade (Simpson, 70 mins), Hampson, Threlkeld, Mckee (Odelusi, 70 mins), Roberts (Dennis, 70 mins), Eaves (Woodland, 70 mins), O’Halloran (Illiev, 70 minutes), Blakeman. Unused subs: Fielding.