FC Halifax Town 1 Boston United 2

editorial image
Share this article

A late Gareth Seddon strike wasn’t enough as FC Halifax Town went down 2-1 at home to Boston United.

Mark Jones’ early tap in and an excellent second half lob from Marc Newsham gave the visitors the win on a day when the Shaymen never got going.

They did pull one back late on through substitute Seddon, and created a host of late chances to level, but it proved too little too late on an afternoon where Town struggled to break down an organised Boston side.

Click here to see photographs from the game - pictures by Charles Round

Neil Aspin made one change to the side which started the last three games, Simon Hackney replacing Jason Jarrett, who served the first of his three match ban following his red card at Histon.

Possession in the opening exchanges was fairly even, but after nine minutes Town fell behind.

Ryan Toulson tried to pick out Paul Marshall in the middle of midfield from a throw in just inside Town’s half, but it was intercepted by Ben Fairclough.

After neat link up play Fairclough got a shot away which was beaten out by Matt Glennon straight into the path of Mar Jones who rolled the ball into the empty net to give the visitors the lead.

Dale Johnson could have levelled it five minutes later but he failed to connect with Jason St Juste’s inviting cross, and in-form Jon Worthington skewed agonisingly wide from inside the six yard box Town tried to hit back.

But in a hard fought half chances were at a premium, with a Liam Hogan shot from 35 yards and Chris Worsley’s low shot which went wide being the best Town could muster until the stroke of half time, when Marshall’s right foot shot was deflected narrowly over - despite the referee awarding Boston a goal kick - as Town went in behind at the break.

Gareth Seddon replaced the anonymous Simon Hackney at the break as Neil Aspin tried to give his side more spark in attack.

And his introduction almost brought an immediate response but Gregory couldn’t pick out either of his striker partners with a low cross.

Seddon could have equalised in spectacular fashion but his over head kick was straight at Dan Haystead in the Boston goal and at the other end Glennon had to be alert to keep out Jones fierce shot.

The Town keeper had to be at his best on 61 minutes, first keeping out Jones at his near post and then producing a stunning save to tip Tom Ward’s deflected piledriver onto the cross bar.

The save kicked Town into life and they started to enjoy possession deep inside the Boston half without creating anything clear cut.

But they were caught out by a long diagonal which picked out Marc Newsham, who lifted over the advancing Glennon to double Boston’s lead with 20 minutes to go.

Marshall, whose delivery from wide areas was unusually poor, tested Haystead with a left foot shot which he could only push behind for a corner - and from it Town pulled one back, Seddon turning in after a scramble in the box.

He could have levelled it a minute late when he was put through one on one, but Haystead made a fine save, and the keeper kept his side ahead with two minutes to go when he tipped Johnson’s header on to the bar.

But it all too little too late as Town lost at home for the second time this season.

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Toulson, St Juste, Hogan, Hackney (Seddon, 46 mins), Lowe, Worsley (McManus, 67 mins), Marshall, Johnson, Gregory, Worthington. Unused subs: Senior, Qualter, Bolland.

Boston United: Haystead, Silk, Jelleyman, Milnes, Ward, Stainford, Fairclough (Smith, 71 mins), Ross, Jones, Newsham, Weir-Daley. Unused subs: Smith, Drury, Marshall, Reid, Craven.

Attendance: 1,530

Scorers: Jones (9) Newsham (70) Seddon (85)

HT: 0-1