FC Halifax Town 3-1 FC United

editorial image

FC Halifax Town made it a magnificent seven wins in a row as they swept aside FC United 3-1 at The Shay to move up to third in the National League North.

Tom Denton made it 13 goals in 17 starts with two goals, while the influential Jordan Sinnott notched his sixth goal of an increasingly impressive campaign.

United’s best player George Thomson got a goal back in the second-half, but by then the game was won.

Town now look a well-oiled machine, with a potent mix of pace, power and desire that FC United simply could not live with; for the second time in four days, The Shaymen were far too good for their bedraggled opponents.

Halifax brushed FC United aside 4-1 the last time they met at The Shay in 2011; that was on the way to promotion - is it premature to say history could be repeating itself?

Kevin Roberts returned from injury quicker than expected, and replaced Cliff Moyo in Town’s only change from Boston.

And that was literally the only change from Boston, with The Shaymen swarming over FC United in the same relentless way they had to the hosts on Saturday.

Denton nearly picked up where he left off at Boston when he headed Sinnott’s cross narrowly over after 46 seconds; talk about a sign of things to come.

The lively Thomson then fired low at Steve Drench moments after his previous shot was blocked inside the area.

Sinnott, revelling in his number 10 role, then played a lovely one-two with Denton before Dave Carnell kept out his low shot, with the keeper parrying another Sinnott effort behind soon afterwards.

You can probably guess what came next; Sinnott’s cross from the left was headed in from close-range by Denton after he rose head and shoulders above the FC United defence.

Denton won his umpteenth header in the FC United box from Sinnott’s long-throw before David Lynch’s low shot was well saved by Carnell.

All this inside the first 15 minutes; Denton was already having one of those games.

Still Thomson remained a threat for the visitors though, as he fizzed a low shot inches wide of the near post with Drench motionless.

There were some delightful flicks from Denton and Josh Macdonald going forward, with Sinnott the conduit.

Macdonald then delivered an excellent low cross from the right than the sliding Denton adroitly diverted across Carnell into the far corner; not even George Thomson could save the visitors now.

Left back Chris Chantler was the latest in a string of left-backs to be harried by Macdonald, who continues to flourish with his thrilling combination of pace and close control; when Denton pulls the trigger it’s usually Macdonald who has provided the ammunition.

Carnell saved again, this time from Alex Simmons, before Denton was denied a tap-in by a magnificent clearance on the stretch by Luke Ashworth.

FC United would have considered themselves fortunate to have gone in only 2-0 down at half-time, but were denied that by an outstanding team goal.

Simmons released the marauding Josh Wilde down the left flank, and his low cross was swept past Carnell first time by the onrushing Sinnott, who capped a wonderful first 45 minutes with the half’s glorious denouement.

Sinnott displayed superb close control to beat an FC United opponent, flicking the ball above his head near the halfway line, before volleying a 50-yard cross-field pass into the path of Wilde; the move eventually culminated with a rasping drive by Macdonald that stung the palms of Carnell.

The tempo wasn’t quite as frenetic as it had been after the restart, with FC United perhaps indulging in some damage limitation.

Matthew Wolfenden ended a nice FC United move with a low strike straight at Drench, while substitute Sam Sheridan also saw an effort saved.

The visitors probably deserved a goal for their persistence, and Thomson got it with a drilled low shot across goal after Roberts had blocked his first effort; finally, the vocal FC United following were given something to cheer.

Halifax: Drench, Roberts, Garner, Hotte, Wilde, Macdonald, Lynch, King, Sinnott (Hibbs 68), Simmons, Denton (Peniket 77). Subs not used: Nicholson, Moyo, Burrow.

Scorers: Denton (10, 19), Sinnott (44)

Shots on target: 10

Shots off target: 5

Corners: 6

FC United: Carnell, Tonge, Ashworth, Eckersley, Chantler, Wolfenden (Wright 79), Kay, Brown (Sheridan 64), Williams (Winter 46), Eaves, Thomson. Subs not used: Corbett, Gilchrist.

Scorer: Thomson (72)

Shots on target: 4

Shots off target: 4

Corners: 4

Attendance: 1,938

Town man of the match: Jordan Sinnott

Referee: Matthew Dicicco