FC Halifax Town 4 Vauxhall Motors 0

editorial image

The Shaymen cruised past Vauxhall Motors on a night when two players making their home debut were on the scoresheet.

Alex Titchiner, on loan from Fleetwood Town, opened the scoring on ten minutes and newly signed Alex Johnson finished it with five minutes to go when he swept home from close range.

In between, Gareth Seddon headed in a first half Paul Marshall corner and Jon Worthington side footed in a third just after the break as Town dominated for long spells against a Motors side who finished with ten men after the sending off of striker Tom Rutter.

Click here to view the picture gallery from the game - photographs by Bruce Fitzgerald

Dan Gardner also made a 22 minute cameo from the bench for his first league appearance - although he was replaced mid-way through the second half with a suspected back injury - as Town won handsomely in front of a season low attendance of just 858 fans.

Neil Aspin made a host of changes from the Town side which drew at Brackley 10 days earlier, with Phil Bolland, Dale Johnson and Alex Titchiner coming in to replace Liam Hogan, Ryan Toulson and Lee Gregory. Chris Worsley moved to right back as Town lined up 4-3-3.

Although Vauxhall had the game’s first chance - Matt Glennon pushing Robbie Booth’s sixth minute 25 yard shot behind for a corner - the first 15 minutes belonged to Town.

The Shaymen took the lead on 10 minutes when Glennon’s long ball was flicked on by Seddon to the unmarked Titchiner, who calmly controlled and slotted past Zac Jones.

Town doubled their advantage two minutes later - Seddon, provider for the first, was the scorer of the second when he headed Paul Marshall’s corner at Jones, who could only fumble the ball over the line.

Titchiner could have had his second and Town’s third minutes later but this time Jones made a much better job of dealing with the shot as Town threatened to wrap the game up inside the first quarter of an hour.

But Vauxhall eventually settled and created some chances of their own.

First towering defender Andy Nicholas headed into the side netting from a deep corner and then Tom Rutter wasted a wonderful chance when he reacted to a quick free-kick into the box, but could only scuff his finish tamely at Glennon for six yards.

Rutter’s next effort was a much cleaner strike but the result was the same - his 30 yarder gathered by Glennon - but on the break Town could have scored a third had Titchiner not dragged wide from 20 yards.

The frontman looked lively and minutes later only a smart low stop by Jones at his near post keeping out Titchiner’s low effort after a strong run from McManus.

Motors could have reduced the deficit right on half time had Bolland not blocked superbly as Craig Mahon looked set to pull the trigger from 8 yards out, but they Shaymen went in 2-0 ahead.

Dan Gardner, who scored twice in a half an hour cameo last Tuesday night in the County Cup, made his long awaited debut as a second half sub replacing the quiet Dale Johnson, and created a decent crossing chance for Jon Worthington after a smart turn.

Although Worthington’s cross came to nothing, he made amends by side footing home Town’s third on 52 minutes after a cushioned cut back from McManus.

McManus looked a threat down the left all night, and he should have claimed his second assist of the night when his tempting cross found Titchiner six yards out, but the striker somehow fired wide.

Substitute Mark Winslade could have got Vauxhall on the scoresheet when he out muscled Danny Lowe on the edge of the box, but his tame effort was easily held stopped by Glennon.

Gardner’s first league appearance only last 22 minutes as he was replaced by Jason St Juste, who went to left back with McManus moving to right back and Worsley moving in to midfield.

With the scoreline comfortable Town looked to keep hold of the ball - but a slip by Danny Lowe gifted Rutter his second great chance of the night, but Glennon stood tall in the one on one and kept the striker out.

Rutter’s failure to take either chance clearly got to the forward, who vented his frustration with a wild lunge on McManus which earned the Vauxhall man a straight red card.

Seddon fired agonisingly wide with ten minutes to go and Paul Marshall did the same shortly afterwards after being set up by substitute Alex Johnson, who replaced Titchiner, as Town looked to get a fourth.

And they didn’t have to wait long for it, when Johnson turned in yet another McManus cross for his first goal in Town colours just ten minutes into his debut.

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Worsley, McManus, Bolland, Jarrett, Lowe, Worthington, Marshall, Titchiner (Alex Johnson, 75 mins), Dale Johnson (Gardner, 46 mins) (St Juste, 67 mins), Seddon. Unused subs: Senior, Gregory.

Vauxhall Motors: Jones, Roberts-Nurse, Noone, Hannigan, Nicholas, Moss (Egerton, 57 mins), Mahon, Clair (Winslade, 57 mins), Rutter, Burns, Booth. Unused subs: Martindale, Kocsis, Ellison.

Attendance: 857

HT: 2-0

Goals: Titchiner (10) Seddon (12) Worthington (52) Alex Johnson (85)

Off: Rutter (78)