Guiseley 1-2 FC Halifax Town (after extra-time)

editorial image

FC Halifax Town edged past Guiseley 2-1 after extra-time in a pulsating West Yorkshire derby at Nethermoor.

For the second game in a row, Sam Walker have Halifax the lead, and for the second game in a row, Adam Boyes produced a second-half equaliser.

They weren’t the only similarities either, as Town produced a composed first-half display only to be overwhelmed by a resurgent Guiseley after the break.

Darren Kelly said after the first game between the sides that the tie would be decided by who wanted it more, and as the contest wore on into extra-time, that assessment began to ring true as both sides looked increasingly exhausted throughout the 120 minutes of an energy-sapping and exhilarating derby.

It took 210 minutes to finally get a winner, and for 205 of those, there was no splitting them until James Bolton’s deflected long-range shot.

These two clubs have played out some cracking contests in recent years, and this is one of the best; Wycombe should be flattered these two clubs put so much effort into hosting them next weekend.

On the stage where Neil Aspin’s Town reign came to an end last month, Darren Kelly’s side showed four changes from that game, with all four of those players omitted no longer at the club.

From Saturday, debutants Tommy Miller and Keil O’Brien were both absent from the start, presumed rested, with Matty Brown and Shaun Tuton coming in.

Guiseley certainly started better than they did at the weekend, pressing Halifax back and forcing the towering Nat Brown into some important early clearances in and around the box.

Guiseley’s five men in midfield made use of their extra man against Town’s four with some intricate passes, although they struggled to penetrate the visitors’ defence.

When they did, Tom Craddock’s effort was ruled out for a handball in the build-up.

Town gradually worked their way into the game though, and nearly took the lead just before the half-hour mark when Steven Drench produced a fine reaction save from Tuton’s point-blank header after Walker’s superb cross.

Walker was then on the receiving end of an equally teasing ball by Kevin Roberts, who produced two similarly inviting assists at Altrincham, and deftly turned the ball home on the run.

Will Hatfield forced Matt Glennon into a fine save with a long-range screamer soon afterwards, but that was the beginning and end to their riposte before half-time.

Halifax seemed emboldened by their goal, with the industrious Jordan Burrow particularly impressing in his role as a withdrawn second striker.

The Kelly-assembled jigsaw was clicking into place now, with Kingsley James and Nicky Wroe, Town’s third different captain in as many games and their fourth of the season, seeing much more of the ball and dictating the play.

Hatfield’s ambitious, albeit well-executed, 35-yard drive was Glennon’s only save of the opening half, as Guiseley failed to score in the first 45 for the seventh time in eight games.

Town, like on Saturday, probably didn’t want the half-time whistle to arrive.

Hatfield volleyed wide at the start of the second-half and looked a threat with some darting runs forward from midfield.

A Mark Bower reshuffle saw Guiseley switch to a back-four after the interval, but the hosts were still to ponderous and sloppy in possession.

Town looked more confident, playing the ball out of defence and harrying the hosts off the ball, no-one more so than Burrow.

Craddock got a faint touch to a Ryan Toulson cross which sent the ball dribbling just wide.

Two chances within a manic minute then saw an outstanding save apiece from Glennon and Drench.

The first from six yards out to deny Craddock with an outstretched leg before, from a Guiseley corner, Town broke up-field and outnumbered the hosts five to three, but Drench reacted superbly to keep out Burrow’s shot across goal.

Now it was a cup tie.

The action had died down after that, but Boyes, scourge of The Shaymen on Saturday, struck again when a corner bobbled in his direction and he prodded in from close range.

It’s now 28 games without a clean sheet, and counting.

Boyes then sent a shot crashing towards goal that Glennon tipped over, with Guiseley now a rejuvenated side.

Nicky Boshell drove a low shot inches wide as those old frailties reared their ugly head again in the Town defence, which looked more vulnerable without Nat Brown’s calming presence.

It got to the stage where Town were now hoping for the referee’s whistle and the chance to regroup, although they so nearly snatched it at the death when Tuton had two efforts kept out by Drench before Burrow’s shot was blocked on the line.

There was still time for Boyes to go close again as his drilled shot shaved the post with Glennon beaten in an engrossing climax to normal time as history continued to repeat itself from Saturday.

The drama went on as Danny Lowe’s cross drifted over Glennon and hit the top of the bar before Lockwood’s rasping drive from one of countless Guiseley corners crashed off the underside of the bar.

It was enough to send Lockwood reeling away with arms raised, but still the deadlock wasn’t broken as the linesman ruled it hadn’t crossed the line.

Both sides were dragging themselves around the pitch by the time Bolton took a pot-shot at goal 30 yards out, which took a decisive deflection to wrong-foot Drench and finally separate the teams again.

Guiseley: Drench, Marsden (Toulson 46), Lockwood, Lawlor, Atkinson, Lowe, Parker (Porritt 59), N Boshell, Hatfield, Craddock (D Boshell 93), Boyes. Subs not used: Hall, Dickinson, D Atkinson, Morton.

Scorer: Boyes (74)

Shots on target: 6

Shots off target: 7

Corners: 14

Halifax: Glennon, Bolton, N Brown (Bencherif 48), M Brown, McManus, Roberts (Macdonald 92), James, Wroe, Tuton, Walker (Miller 67), Burrow. Subs not used: Porter, Hattersley, Bradley, Hillhouse.

Scorers: Walker (29), Bolton (115)

Shots on target: 10

Shots off target: 3

Corners: 4

Attendance: 948

Town of the match: Scott McManus