Halifax Town 1 Colwyn Bay 1: Town still wait for home win

On the ball: Town look to push forward
On the ball: Town look to push forward

Town are still looking for their first home win of the season despite a stirring second half display last night.

The Shaymen were poor in the first half, their passing was inaccurate and Colwyn Bay were always comfortable in defence.

Actions from the game FC Halifax Town v Colwyn Bay at the Shay'Pictured is

Actions from the game FC Halifax Town v Colwyn Bay at the Shay'Pictured is

The visitors’ midfield, led by former Shayman Damian Allen, ruled the roost and the visitors led at the break thanks to a dubiously-awarded Jon Newby Penalty.

But it was different after the interval as Town pressed forward, looking far more purposeful and putting the Bay goal under increasing pressure.

They levelled with a cracker from Jamie Vardy midway through the second period but, despite monopolising possession, were unable to find a winner.

Simon Eastwood was unable to claim the ball from a free kick as Colwyn Bay made a lively start to the game.

Actions from the game FC Halifax Town v Colwyn Bay at the Shay'Pictured is

Actions from the game FC Halifax Town v Colwyn Bay at the Shay'Pictured is

Town’s response was good, with Liam Hogan surging out of defence and almost playing the ball through for Lee Gregory on the edge of the area.

Scott McManus did well to get in front of Sean Doherty and head clear as the visitors continued to press forward whenever they could.

Nicky Gray won the first corner of the game after nine minutes, but Baker’s cross in was too deep for anyone to capitalise.

Hogan’s pin point crossfield pass picked out Danny Lowe wide on the left but his low cross was just in front of Danny Holland as he slide in.

Actions from the game FC Halifax Town v Colwyn Bay at the Shay'Pictured is

Actions from the game FC Halifax Town v Colwyn Bay at the Shay'Pictured is

Bay should have broken the deadlock after 14 minutes when Robert Hopley took a return pass from Lee Davey and was clear on goal, but Eastwood spread himself well to block the shot.

They were ahead two minutes later thanks to a dubious penalty awarded when Hopley went through and Nicky Gray slid in.

Newby gave Eastwood little chance with the spot kick, slamming it low to the Town keeper’s right.

Lowe played a decent ball in for Gregory who was unable to get his header on target and Lowe then fed Vardy who raced past right back Luke Denson before crossing low, but there was no one in a blue shirt there.

Gregory flicked on for Vardy then took the return pass before crossing deep where Aaron Hardy was harshly penalised for pushing Michael Lea.

Town produced a fine move on the half hour when Hogan’s ball picked out Lowe and he played it forward for Vardy whose cross was headed goalwards by Holland, but into the keeper’s arms.

Part of Town’s problem was that they could not get Tom Baker involved and he eventually came to the fore with a block on the edge of the area.

Vardy spun away from his marker on the right 10 minutes from the break and crossed for Gray whose header was goalbound but taken by the keeper who raced off his line soon after to punch clear under pressure from Gregory.

Anton Foster replaced Gray at the start of the second half to bolster the midfield which had barely had a kick in the opening 45 minutes.

And his pass released Lowe down the left inside the opening 60 seconds, winning a corner from which Hogan fired narrowly wide.

And two minutes later Winter sent the ball into the area for Holland, who did brilliantly to get a volley on goal only to see the it roll along the bar and back out.

Denson’s foul on Vardy gave Baker the chance to curl in a free kick from 25 yards that missed the target by inches.

Lowe’s cross from the left was headed over by Gregory before Vardy’s pace forced another corner from which McManus was penalised for a challenge on the keeper.

It was far better from the Shaymen but the players were as anxious as the Shay crowd by the time James Dean came on with a little under 20 minutes remaining.

Within 60 seconds of the big frontman going on Town were level, although it had nothing to do with the change.

Winter played the ball forward for Vardy who took a couple of strides towards the edge of the area and smashed an unstoppable shot past Chris Sanna.

The Shaymen were almost ahead after 70 minutes, Danny Meadowcroft slicing a clearance from McManus’s cross into the side netting.

And Hogan got his head to the resulting Baker corner but could not get the ball on target.

The space was starting to open up for Town who were clearly gaining the upper hand.

Baker played the ball in for Lowe who squared to Winter on the right but his well struck low shot slid past the far post

Dean curled in a cross from the right hand side that was just in front of Vardy and Holland.

Bay were rarely a threat although Eastwood pulled off a magnificent save to deny Daniel Lloyd-McGoldrick, although it would not have counted in any case as the offside flag had been raised.

Back at the other end Dean fed Holland on the left and his cross was headed narrowly wide by Vardy

And Dean had a decent shout for a penalty when he was clattered from behind as he tried to set the ball for Winter.

Eastwood saved again, this time from Davey, with a couple of minutes of normal time remaining and, with a player staying down and receiving lengthy treatment, Bay survived the added minutes.