Hinckley United 0 FC Halifax Town 2

editorial image

Town returned to winning ways as they cruised to a comfortable win in the Leicestershire sunshine.

Dale Johnson’s fifth goal of the season gave Town the perfect start on 15 minutes and substitute Lee Gregory added a second as Town won 2-0 at lowly Hinckley.

As on Wednesday night against Chester, the scoreline failed to reflect the Shaymen’s dominance as Town had to settle for just two despite creating numerous chances.

But they recorded their first clean sheet of the season at the seventh time of asking as the left De Montfort Park with all three points.

Town made just one change from the side which were unlucky in defeat at Chester on Wednesday night, with fit again Seddon replacing Lee Gregory.

The game started in bizarre fashion, with Hinckley thinking they had scored inside the first 20seconds, only for the linesman to rule out Jack Lane’s back post strike.

And the hosts created another good chance in sixth minute when Matt Glennon was called into action after he had initially failed to deal with a looping ball under his cross bar.

It was Seddon who had Town’s first two chances, firstly header Jason St Juste’s cross at Robert Peet in the Hinckley goal, and then a minute late his dipping volley was saved too.

Seddon was involved in Town’s first goal too when he scissor kicked a through ball to Johnson who kept his cool to slot past Peet after beating the offside trap on 15 minutes.

Town looked comfortable once they had their goal, and Paul Marshall tried to double it from a long range free-kick but his effort went wide.

In a half of few chances, Johnson wasted a good one on 37 minutes when he could only turn Seddon’s cut back into the side netting after getting in front of his man at the near post.

The other first half chance of note was a Seddon air shot after a positive run from St Juste as Town went in ahead at the break.

Town made a change at the break with Gregory replacing Jon Worthington, and the forward had a chance within 90 seconds of the re-start.

He read Marshall’s first time pass to beat the offside trap but chose to shoot rather than square to give Seddon an easy tap in and saw his effort saved by Peet’s feet.

A minute later Seddon screwed a near post shot just wide as the Shaymen stated the second half quickly.

But the game soon settled back into the same pattern as the first half - Town on top but neither side creating chances - until Gregory closed down the Hinckley keeper whose kick was deflected into Seddon’s path, but he couldn’t catch the keeper off his line as his long range effort sailed wide.

The hosts, who fielded seven teenagers in their line-up, we’re posing little threat to the Shaymen in attack, with Liam Hogan and Danny Lowe dealing with long balls into the box with little difficulty.

It was from a ball into the box that Town’s best chance of the half until that point came when Marshall’s free-kick picked out Hogan who steered his shot onto the bar.

Two minutes later though, Town had their second when Gregory again beat the offside trap, this time making no mistake as he rounded Peet before tapping into the empty net.

The striker could have had a second a minute later but this time Peet was able to keep his shot out, and with just over ten minutes to go Seddon spurned another chance when his attempted lob when harmlessly over with only the keeper to beat.


Hinckley United: Peet, Towers (Bryan, 36 mins), Brown, Bragoli, Raglan, Palmer, Lane (Headley, 70 mins) Wilkins, Anorou (Holt, 70mins) Newton, Cole. Unused subs: Darkin, Lister.

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Toulson, St Juste, Hogan, Jarrett, Lowe, Worsley (Needham, 72 mins), Marshall, Johnson, Worthington (Gregory, 46 mins), Seddon (Bolland, 86 mins). Unused subs: Senior, Rainford.

Goals: Johnson (15) Gregory (69)

Attendance: 522