Jamie’s timing is perfect

If nothing else, striker Jamie Rainford has already shown that his timing is pretty good.

The 23-year-old frontman joined the Shaymen on loan from Chester on Friday, just in time to play at Gloucester City.

And his second game in a Town shirt will be the biggest in the club’s recent history against League One leaders Charlton Athletic in the FA Cup.

That was a factor in Rainford’s decision to come to the Shay, but his desire to get his career back on track was just as important.

“It is not a bad time to be arriving at Halifax and that was obviously a big draw,” he said. “But I am just interested in playing football.

“I have not had much game time in the past couple of months and first and foremost I wanted to get in the side last Saturday.

“Now we can start looking forward to next weekend.

“It is going to be tough but we can go out there with no fear or pressure and express ourselves.”

Rainford bagged 28 goals for Marine in the Evo Stik Premier last season and had a trial with Notts County.

In the summer he made a high profile switch to Chester, becoming their record signing although the fee they paid was never disclosed.

But his time at the Deva Stadium has been very frustrating given the size of the squad at the club.

“They paid a few quid for me - I was their record signing in the summer,” Rainford said.

“But for one reason or another it hasn’t worked out.

“I have started four games out of 15 in the league.

“I am not happy sitting around - I want to play football and the Gaffer has given me an opportunity here.

“Hopefully I can pay him back for that.”

Rainford’s switch to the Shay came out of the blue although, with James Dean suspended and Lee Gregory battling to recover from injury, Town had been casting their net far and wide.

“The first I knew about coming here was last Thursday night so it was all pretty quick,” he said.

“The first time I saw the boys was when I met them on the motorway to be picked up to go to Gloucester.”

Once there, Rainford started the game alongside Dean in attack - and he almost bagged a debut goal early in the second half.

“I was just waiting for the net to bulge,” he said. “But the keeper did well to get down early and turn it round the post.”