Motors cruise past sad Town

Halifax Town 1

Vauxhall Motors 5

After the capitulation of seven days previous at Hinckley, this was the embarrassment of a home thrashing.

Things are not at all well in the Shay garden.

In fact so bad are they at the moment, every time the opposition attack Town look like conceding a goal.

And that includes when, as Vauxhall Motors were from the 15th minute, the opposition are down to 10 men.

Motors were already a goal to the good by the time left back John Bennett was dismissed for denying Town’s outstanding player Terry Dixon a goalscoring opportunity.

And the visitors were three up by the break - a state of affairs that warranted a chorus of boos from the home faithful.

The mood inside the ground was not lifted by the second half display from Neil Aspin’s side as they threatened all too briefly to fight their way back.

When James Dean struck after 50 minutes, after a bright start to the second half and a change round in personnel, a miracle comeback was being contemplated.

When Leyton McGivern - the outstanding player on the pitch from either side - scored the second goal of what turned out to be a hat trick two minutes later any optimism had firmly disappeared.

And by the final whistle the players were left in no doubt by the fans exactly what they felt about the display.

Everyone connected with the club will be hoping this is the nadir and the only way from here is up.

As in the previous home game against Workington, it was the visitors who had the best early chance, but Liam Hogan got in well to block McGivern’s second minute shot.

And there did not appear to be anyone marking Joshua Wilson when he got his head to a Craig Mahon cross four minutes later.

Dixon and Lee Gregory combined well after seven minutes creating an opening for Harry Winter, but his shot flew just over the bar from the edge of the area.

The visitors went in front after nine minutes when Hogan stuck a foot out and Wilson accepted the invitation to make contact and fell to the ground.

The Motors skipper was not down long, though, as he got up and struck the penalty past Simon Eastwood.

The Shaymen were given a lift six minutes later when Motors were reduced to 10 men after last defender John Bennett was shown a red card after bringing down Dixon on the edge of the area.

Tom Baker almost doubled the penalty as he sent the free kick goalwards, but was denied by Scott Tynan.

The Shaymen’s best move of the opening 20 minutes saw Gregory send Danny Lowe racing clear down the left but James Dean was unable to capitalise on the full back’s low cross

And Scott McManus did well at the other end a minute later to stay on his feet as McGivern did a couple of step-overs in the area before firing a shot straight at Eastwood.

Motors might have had a second spot kick midway through the first half when Simon Garner challenged McGivern in the area.

The referee clearly felt the first had been a bit soft and was unwilling to give another, even if it appeared to be a better shout.

Town should have been level within a minute as Dean did well on the right and sent over a deflected cross that Gregory could only head over from close range.

Dixon did well to fashion a crossing chance on the right, but his left foot delivery was headed over at the far post by Harry Winter.

Then Dean pulled the ball back from the right for Baker whose low effort flashed across the face of goal and wide.

When Ryan Toulson whipped in a cross from the right Gregory rose well but his header flew just over and a Danny Lowe effort was claimed well by the keeper as Town looked to turn up the heat on the visitors.

But it got worse for the Shaymen before the break as 10-man Motors scored a quickfire double to make it 3-0.

The first came in the 36th minute when Town failed to deal with a corner from the right and Craig Mahon fired home a left footed shot from 25 yards.

And it was even worse two minutes later when Hogan failed to track McGivern at a free kick and, to a chorus of boos from the home fans, the striker scored easily from 10 yards.

Anton Foster and trialist defender Nick Wood replaced Garner and Winter at the break and Town started brightly with Toulson firing an effort across goal and wide.

And they pulled a goal back five minutes after the break when Danny Lowe, pushed forward to the left wing, crossed deep for Gregory who nodded down and Dean applied the finishing

The joy was short lived as Town lost possession midway inside their own half and McGivern smashed an unstoppable shot in off the underside of the crossbar from 35 yards.

Toulson’s second long range effort of the half whistled an inch past the post but Motors went close to bagging a fifth when McGivern’s shot was saved by Eastwood and Wilson put the rebound into the side netting.

Foster was making some lung-busting runs down the middle as he tried to get his side back into the game and he fired in an effort from 25 yards that Tynan held onto.

But the visitors continued to create openings and Wilson sliced a left footed volley across Town’s six yard box with 14 minutes of the game remaining.

And Motors bagged a fifth with 13 minutes remaining, McGivern curling home a free kick from the right with the Town defence still trying to get organised.

The Motors frontman left to a decent ovation from the home fans when he was replaced a minute later.

Town had a chance in added time when Lowe pulled the ball back for Wood at a free kick, but the centre back could only scoop his shot into the keeper’s arms.