Stewards attacked by fans at Nuneaton game against FC Halifax Town

Action from Nuneaton v Halifax last Saturday. Picture: Nuneaton News
Action from Nuneaton v Halifax last Saturday. Picture: Nuneaton News

Detectives in Nuneaton are appealing to fans who attended last Saturday’s National League North match between Nuneaton and Halifax for information after four stewards were assaulted.

Just after the final whistle had blown at approximately 4.45pm at Liberty Stadium, a man attempted to encroach onto the pitch.

As stewards detained the man, they were assaulted by a number of people who also attempted to gain access to the pitch.

Four stewards were assaulted, with a 46-year-old, sustaining bruising and bleeding to his nose. The other three did not sustain any injuries.

In their attempt to reach the pitch, the group climbed over fencing and in the process caused damage to advertising hoardings.

Detective Sergeant David Andrews, who is leading the investigation said: “This was a disappointing end to a competitive match. I am appealing to both sets of supporters to come forward and speak to us about the events that unfolded at last weekend’s match.

“The incidents are thought to have been captured on mobile phone footage. These recordings could significantly help our investigation.

“Warwickshire Police understand and appreciate the majority of fans who attended the match were there to support their team, not to cause trouble. A small number of fans let their team down with their behaviour at the end of the game.”

If you were at the game and have information or mobile phone footage of this incident please call police on 101 quoting incident number 184 of Saturday 6 August.

Alternatively, if you want to give information but don’t want to give your name you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or use their anonymous online form at . Crimestoppers are not part of the police, when you contact them you won’t be identified. The only person who knows you have given information is you.