Town march on in Cup

Town went through to the second round of the West Riding County Cup but suffered a late scare at the Silentnight Stadium.

Second half goals from Scott Hogan and James Dean, who fired home from the penalty spot, put them in control after the game had been briefly threatened by a power cut which knocked out all lights inside the ground for 10 minutes.

And there was some concern among the travelling fans - and players - when Barnoldswick pulled a goal back with six minutes remaining

Dean, who will be suspended for the FA Cup tie against Charlton, was joined in the side by the likes of Gregg Anderson, David Haggerty, Tyrone Thompson, Anton Foster and Hogan all trying to impress Aspin.

But that is never easy in a low key contest, although all contributed to the victory.

Town had an early opportunity when Hogan did well on the left and cut inside.

He scored on his Town debut at the same venue 12 months ago, but sliced his effort well wide of the target.

With Foster breaking up any play the home side had, the Shaymen were comfortably in control.

And they had a great chance after 15 minutes when Thompson played the ball forward for Dean.

He found Jason St Juste whose cross was met well by Hogan eight yards out but he could not keep is header down.

Barnoldswick’s best chance came when Shaun Clough raided down the left, but his cross ended up in the back garden of one of the houses overlooking the ground.

And it was the Shaymen who continued to look more threatening.

A Hogan corner was pushed clear by the keeper on his own line and when St Juste picked out Hogan wide on the left midway through the first half, he crossed low and keeper Billy Carrington was forced to make a smart save after the ball deflected goalwards off a defender.

Full back Scott Eastwood was just beaten to the ball by the home keeper, who also did well to clear from Tyrone Thompson soon after.

Matty Thompson closed down well on the left, keeping the home side pinned inside their own half and Foster saw a long range effort take a deflection wide of the target for a corner.

Anderson caused a moment of concern at the back when he gave the ball away to Aaron Hollindrake but redeemed himself by winning the ball back.

Some neat footwork from Brad Riley ended with a foul on the edge of the Barnoldswick area, but Hogan blazed the free kick over the bar.

And, on the stroke of half time, St Juste found Foster who fed Dean, but his shot on the turn flashed wide.

The Shaymen had a chance early in the second half when Thompson sent a left wing free kick towards the far post where sub Danny Holland was waiting, but his curling effort went just over.

And a corner from the right soon after went narrowly wide off Dean’s head.

Barnoldswick had the best chance of the game to date when the ball was crossed in from the right for Lewis Jordan who somehow managed to side foot wide from eight yards.

Moments later the lights went out, but play resumed after a five minute delay and the Shaymen took a 55th minute lead when Hogan took full advantage of some hesitant defending to fire home.

Barnoldswick responded well and could have levelled three minutes later from a free kick that the Shaymen failed to clear.

The ball fell to Liam Garbutt 10 yards from goal on the left but, after turning well, he fired wide of the target.

Garbutt had another chance moments later as he met the ball on the run and struck a low shot that Phil Senior saved.

The Shaymen enjoyed a good spell after that, Thompson sending the ball in from the left and the keeper punching clear before Haggerty’s downward header bounced into Carrington’s hands.

And they doubled their advantage after 65 minutes from the penalty spot when Dean fired home after he had been clipped in the area by the keeper.

Senior handled well again with 12 minutes remaining, holding onto a curling effort from Garbutt.

Hogan was denied a second goal by the offside flag as he stabbed the ball home from a Holland shot 10 minutes from time.

Barnoldswick pulled one back with six minutes to go when Senior saved well from Robbie Smith but the ball went back to Paul Fildes who fired home from an acute angle.

Barnoldswick: Carrington, Overson, Clough, Airey, Clarke, Williams, Jordan, C Smith (R Smith 32), Hollindrake, Garbutt (Fildes 70), Chapman. Subs (not used): Jordan, Caton, Blades

Goals: Fildes 84

Booked: None

Sent off: None

Halifax Town: Senior, Eastwood, St Juste (Richards 70), Foster, Anderson, Haggerty, Riley (J Corduri 46), T Thompson, Dean, M Thompson (Holland 46), S Hogan. Subs (not used): S Coduri, Hines,

Goals: Hogan 56, Dean 65pen,

Booked: None

Sent off: None

Referee J IIlingworth