Victory crucial - Aspin

Boss Neil Aspin admitted it had been uncomfortable watching the final 20 minutes of Town’s Blue Square Bet North clash with Eastwood.

The Shaymen were in complete control thanks to a Lee Gregory double, only to needlessly concede a goal which set nerves jangling around the Shay.

The visitors had chances, but Town held on for a 2-1 win that takes them to within three points of the play off places and as far as the boss was concerned the final result was the main thing.

“We all watched the same game and we all knew we should have been more than 2-0 up,” said Aspin.

“We have had great chances to go three up and anyone who knows football knows that takes away the doubt.

“Everyone could have relaxed and we would have been comfortable, running out the clock no problem.

“You let the opposition in for a soft goal and you just know what’s going to happen.

“The players are under pressure, the fans are edgy and the whole atmosphere changes.

“The main thing is that we got the result - we needed the three points and we needed to get a win at home.

“We will take the positives which were for 65 minutes we created a lot of chances and our tempo was a lot better.”

It was only Town’s second home win in the league this season and they have picked up one more point on their travels than they have at the Shay.

“The away games have proved we can do it,” said Aspin. “The problem has been at home where we have been really edgy.

“Everyone in the ground feels it, and you only get rid of that by winning games consistently.”

Town achieved victory at the weekend despite having to cope with a raft of injuries, illness and suspension.

James Dean began a three-match ban, Simon Eastwood damaged a knee in training and Liam Hogan was carrying a knock from the FA Cup game against Tadcaster.

Aspin’s problems were compounded by the fact that Scott McManus succumbed to the illness that had laid skipper Tom Baker low seven days earlier

“It has been a terrible week,” said Aspin. “In terms of preparation it has been as bad as any I have had since I have been here.

“We lost the keeper last Tuesday in training and by Thursday night we only had one fit centre half at the club.

“We had to throw a team together.”

Town have confirmed that Nicky Gray, who was on non contract forms, and Kevin Holsgrove, who was on trial, have left the club.