Yorkshire derby with a real edge

Second plays fourth in the latest in a string of big games in the Blue Square Bet North promotion race at the Shay tonight.

And while nothing will be decided by the result of Town’s game against West Yorkshire rivals Guiseley, whoever wins will have a real edge in the run in.

Guiseley strengthened their grip on second spot with a 1-0 win at leaders Hyde, becoming the first visiting side to win at Ewen Field in the league this season.

It took a fluke goal - a James Walshaw cross taking a deflection over the keeper and into the net - to separate the sides.

And Hyde were the better team throughout without being able to get the breakthrough they were looking for.

But at this stage of the campaign, you take wins and points wherever you can get them.

Guiseley, who have won three out of their last four, now have the Manchester side in their sights as they look to avoid the play offs in which they tasted defeat last season against Telford.

They will be gunning for victory at the Shay tonight and have double incentive given that Town won 4-3 at Nethermoor earlier in the season having been 3-1 down.

But the Shaymen will also be keen to bag the win and should not lack confidence given their impressive 3-1 success at Bishop’s Stortford at the weekend.

That was only Town’s second win in eight league matches but such has been the tension at the top they are still right in the thick of the promotion race.

Neutrals in the ground - although there are unlikely to be many - will be hoping for a repeat of the game played between the sides in September for entertainment value at least.

Guiseley made a flying start in that game with Alex Davidson firing home in the second minute and they doubled their advantage six minutes later through Gavin Rothery.

Lee Gregory reduced the arrears when he forced the ball home from close range but it looked gloomy for Town, who had been beaten at home by Vauxhall Motors a few days earlier, when Rothery bagged his second, heading home a Lee Ellington cross, just before the break.

A Danny Ellis own goal got the Shaymen back in it and Terry Dixon - on loan from Bradford City - made it 3-3 from a corner.

The winner came around the hour mark when Gregory scored his second of the game to give the Shaymen the points.

The drama continued beyond the final whistle when James Dean was red carded by the referee and he subsequently served a nine match suspension, three for the card and six for his reaction towards the match official.

Plenty has happened since then - Guiseley have remained in the hunt and the Shaymen have forced their way into it.

Nothing will be settled this evening, but one of the two sides could strike a major psychological blow with a win.